Any news of what happened with the deaths in Disney World this past summer?

ssidiouss@mac.c

Original Poster
My memory is a little foggy so excuse any inaccuracies...

Disney World seemed to get a lot of bad press from a few things that happened there this summer.. does anyone know :

1. The death in mission space.. did they ever find out what was the official cause of death of that kid in there?

2. The girl who went into a coma or something in tower of terror.. any idea of what ever happened to her?

3. The girl who had a heat stroke or passed out by the water in the water park.. what ever happened to her?

Disney got ripped by the press during the summer for these 3 things.. and of course they havent reported anything about them since.. so it was probably proven that Disney was not at fault in any of these cases. I'm curious though of what ever happened.

wdwishes2005

i think leanne deacon was the name of the girl TOT incident although i may be wrong. anyway, i am pretty sure she is doing well back in britain.

mountainmaster1

4-year-old Daudi Bamuwamye died on MS died in Celebration Hospital after passing out on MS. To my knowledge the results of his autopsy were not disclosed.

The autopsy of the 12-year-old girl who died after passing out in Typhoon Lagoon showed no signs of trauma and no apparent causes of death.

16-year-old Leeann Deacon suffered a cardiac arrest after riding TOT.

WelshBatman

The British Girl who suffered the cardiac arrest on Tower of Terror did go back to Britain with her family, but no word on how her condition was or what happened when she got home. The reports said that the family wanted her close to home and it didn't sound too good, but Disney would have been pummelled further if she had died.

Dr Albert Falls

Michael--

I think Disney had a very bad summer with children dying or having severe medical complications, not the press.

I can't imagine the press coverage was as awful as a parent leaving the park without one of their children.

peter11435

Dr Albert Falls said:
Michael--

I think Disney had a very bad summer with children dying or having severe medical complications, not the press.

I can't imagine the press coverage was as awful as a parent leaving the park without one of their children.
While you are correct. The press did not help the situation. Headlines like "boy killed on M:S" are both misleading and factually inaccurate. Poor journalism if you ask me.

tigsmom

WelshBatman said:
The British Girl who suffered the cardiac arrest on Tower of Terror did go back to Britain with her family, but no word on how her condition was or what happened when she got home. The reports said that the family wanted her close to home and it didn't sound too good, but Disney would have been pummelled further if she had died.

If we do a search (and I don't have the time right now) I'm pretty sure the young lady returned to the UK in critical condition, on a vent and still in a coma. (thats if my memory serves me right).

bgraham34

I was wondering the same think about the fate of the girl on MS. But I search last week on google on found nothing up to date.

peter11435

bgraham34 said:
I was wondering the same think about the fate of the girl on MS. But I search last week on google on found nothing up to date.
There was no girl on MS. It was a boy on MS, and a girl on Tower.

ErickainPA

"The British teen who collapsed after a Walt Disney World ride last month was flown by air ambulance back to Great Britain on Saturday, still in critical condition.
Leanne Deacon, 16, suffered cardiac arrest July 16 after she rode the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror at Walt Disney World." (Source: Orlando Sentinel, 08/07/05)
"Leanne Deacon is now being treated at Leicester General Hospital, where her condition has been described as "stable". (Source: edinburghnews.scotsman.com, 08/08/05)

British teen still critical, heads home

By Associated Press
Published August 8, 2005
<hr noshade="noshade" size="1"> ORLANDO - The British teen who collapsed after a Walt Disney World ride last month was flown by air ambulance back to Great Britain, still in critical condition.
A spokeswoman for Florida Hospital Orlando said doctors and Leanne Deacon's family decided to take the 16-year-old home and left on Saturday.
"The family wanted to get back to Great Britain," Carrie Lockwood told the Orlando Sentinel . "There was nothing more that we could have done for her here that could not be done there."

August 08, 2005

Disney Strangeness

Very strange, statistical anomaly, or "something else"?:
  • THURSDAY: A 12-year-old girl died that evening after passing out at the wave pool at Disney's Typhoon Lagoon.
  • JULY 12: Leanne Deacon, 16, of Kibworth, England, suffered cardiac arrest shortly after exiting Disney-MGM Studio's Twilight Zone Tower of Terror thrill ride. A CT scan after her collapse showed she was bleeding in her brain.
  • JUNE 13: Daudi Bamuwamye, 4, of Pennsylvania collapsed on Epcot's Mission: Space ride and later died. Inspections showed no signs of ride malfunction, and investigators are awaiting results of a medical examiner's report.

socalkdg

You figure that WDW and the parks have about 250,000 people there every week. Compare the amount of deaths in cities with this size population and you will find a number of deaths in those cities as well. Freak things happen.

mountainmaster1

socalkdg said:
You figure that WDW and the parks have about 250,000 people there every week. Compare the amount of deaths in cities with this size population and you will find a number of deaths in those cities as well. Freak things happen.

You're right. People make such a big deal out of people dying in theme parks but usually it isn't the park's fault. Most people die or get injured because they don't read the warning signs that clearly state that they shouldn't ride. Sure some people don't know of their particular condition, but I hate hearing of all the senoirs going to the hospital after riding MS. If they had just read the warning signs, thay would have known that the ride is not for seniors, who have a much greater risk of heart problems.

Although it seems these three instances were completely unforseen events with no real medical evidence of why they occured at all. Strange.

peter11435

socalkdg said:
Excellent point. To be honest WDW has far more than 250,000 people a week. But that just makes your point even more appropriate.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom