Any new pictures of LM?

Grizzly Hall 71

Original Poster
Has anyone got any new pictures of The Little Mermaid ride construction? Also any new concept art?

Again I'm confused, what is the showbuilding supposed to be themed as? And what is being replaced for it?

sponono88

The Little Mermaid is replacing the Golden Dreams theatre, which featured a 22-minute film honoring the history and culture of California.

The showbuilding takes inspiration from a 1920s building in a Venice Beach boardwalk. It will feature stained glass, tile work, sculpted murals, etc. If you're in DCA, make sure you check out the Blue Sky Cellar - it was recently updated with concept art, sketches, blueprints, and 3D models. This article has plenty of pictures of the exhibit, scroll down to see the pictures: http://disneyandmore.blogspot.com/2010/06/blue-sky-cellar-update-little-mermais.html

Blue Sky Cellar video:

[youtube]lTFwWYF-mas[/youtube]

Here's a recent look at the construction progress:

962742186_MU9G9-O.jpg

961549403_rFuio-O-1.jpg

961576767_2ZTAj-O.jpg

TP2000

Again I'm confused, what is the showbuilding supposed to be themed as? And what is being replaced for it?

Golden Dreams was on this site from 2001 to 2009. It was a history movie about California that was never very popular and became kind of a widely-known joke for the failures of DCA. It was hosted by Whoopi Goldberg, who played Calafia the Queen of California, and was animated in talking statues on the right and left of the stage. The recreation of the Palace of Fine Arts dome from the San Francisco World's Fair was the only thing worth saving about this attraction.

Here's the main theater building. It seated 275, but rarely had more than a dozen or so people inside watching the 20 minute movie.
golden_moremural2001ah.jpg

Here's the theater and mural being torn down in '09, saving the Palace of Fine Arts dome out front.
GD4-072209-AVP.jpg

Here's the building that is being built to house Little Mermaid at DCA, a fancy seaside amusement pier pavilion from the early 20th century.
little-mermaid.jpg

Grizzly Hall 71

Original Poster
Thanks so much! This makes sense. The pavilion looks VERY nice. Their saving an old piece and still updating at the same time. What's the planned opening? 2011? Also is the entire bay area section being torn down for this? I liked that section the houses look right out of San Francisco.

sponono88

I think the opening date is some time in Spring 2011. San Francisco Street is part of the Golden State district and that area is staying - in fact it was enhanced with new planters and fences about a year ago to give it a more authentic feel. The only S.F. buildings they removed were the restrooms that were directly behind Golden Dreams.

PeoplemoverTTA

I thought DCA was a pretty fun park, but had huge potential. I haven't been since 2006, but wow, I am really looking forward to my next trip to DLR, this looks so amazing!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom