Any map of Disney-owned land parcels?

Scuttle

Don't have a map, but I have an interesting story which I'm not sure I believe because I've found nothing documenting it.

The story goes that after most of the land purchased for WDW there was still a crucial spot of land near the Contemporary that a man wouldn't sell. After finding out the man was a huge alabama football fan Walt went to Bear Bryant and convinced Bear to come down to Florida and talk to this guy and convince him to sell.

Now I highly doubt the credibility of this story, but nevertheless it's a cool urban legend.

dreamfinder

I believe that they annexed/de-annexed (whatever the correct term is) the land where Celebration is, and I thought the Golden Oaks as well.

I also believe that they have made some purchases of land in random places in FL to allow them to develop existing land within WDWs boundaries. Large chunks of their existing land was wetlands/conservation land, so when they have done recent expansion and other building projects, they needed to offset any used land with equal parts conservation land elsewhere in the state.

lazyboy97o

I believe that they annexed/de-annexed (whatever the correct term is) the land where Celebration is, and I thought the Golden Oaks as well.
Correct, both Celebration and Golden Oaks were deannexed so as to prevent the new residents from being able to vote within the Reedy Creek Improvement District.

dreamfinder

So if you buy a house in Golden Oaks, you technically don't live on WDW Property?

Pretty much. My understanding is that there was (or still is) a trailer park somewhere on property where a handful of managers live. And that those managers were the only voting residents of RCID, which made it awfully easy for RCID to get things passed that benefit the mouse.

flavious27

I found this article dated 1990:

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com...02033812_1_disney-world-135-acres-reedy-creek

It explains how Disney accumulated over 30,000 acres over the years. It mentions two "recent" (as of 1990) land grabs totaling 3,000 additional acres. Can anyone direct me to a map that can show exactly where these land parcel are?

Also, has Disney purchased or sold any land since then, and where?

Thanks

futureuse.png

A map of RCID, though disney has other properties in florida.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom