Any experience with roll-in shower or "transfer shower" in standard rooms at the Poly?

pgsilva

Original Poster
Hi all, the fam is planning a trip to WDW in November, staying at the Poly, and we need an accessible shower, no tubs. I understand there are roll-in showers, which we don't strictly need, or transfer showers, which we know nothing about.

Any experiences / dimensions / pics? I've found a few pictures, but they were from before the rooms were redone.

Any help is appreciated!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Make sure your request for an accessible room is noted in your reservation. There aren’t many rooms in this category at the Poly (all on the first floor I believe) and only accessible rooms will have a stall shower. The rest have the tub/shower combo.

Note that Poly DVC rooms (studio villas) have a bath and and half - the larger bathroom has toilet, sink and tub shower. The half has a sink and stall shower - it’s not a roll in, but only a small lip.

pgsilva

Original Poster
Make sure your request for an accessible room is noted in your reservation. There aren’t many rooms in this category at the Poly (all on the first floor I believe) and only accessible rooms will have a stall shower. The rest have the tub/shower combo.

Note that Poly DVC rooms (studio villas) have a bath and and half - the larger bathroom has toilet, sink and tub shower. The half has a sink and stall shower - it’s not a roll in, but only a small lip.

Thanks, we'd be staying in a standard room, not the bungalows or suites. But we really wanted to know what the difference was between the full roll-in shower, which accommodate a wheelchair, vs a "transfer shower." which we've been told is smaller and requires you to transfer out of a chair into a bench that is in the shower. I've scoured online and in YT for pictures or videos and can't seem to find anything.

Thanks for the response.

nickys

Premium Member
You’ll have to book an accessible room, not just request one.

There is a Facebook page run by Tikiman which has room info. That’s probably your best source.

Weather_Lady

Hi all, the fam is planning a trip to WDW in November, staying at the Poly, and we need an accessible shower, no tubs. I understand there are roll-in showers, which we don't strictly need, or transfer showers, which we know nothing about.

Any experiences / dimensions / pics? I've found a few pictures, but they were from before the rooms were redone.

Any help is appreciated!
Per Google, here's a tour of an accessible room.

A "transfer shower" is one with a special bench to which wheelchair users can transfer, so their chair doesn't have to be in the shower itself: that may be the folded-up wall bench in the shower in this tour.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

The Polynesian uses roll-in showers that are 3’ x 5’.

A transfer shower is a smaller 3’ x 3’ shower stall.

The folding seat is legally required in the transfer shower and optional in a roll-in shower. Both will feature grab bars in the shower. The big difference most people will notice is the size.

You say you don’t need a tub but don’t really clarify if an accessible shower/tub cannot be used. The accessible shower/tub is the same size as the roll-in shower and also features grab bars. If whomever needs the accessible shower cannot step over the tub to enter then you do need to make sure to do as stated before and get that noted on your reservation as there are not many accessible showers.

The Mom

Premium Member
Per Google, here's a tour of an accessible room.

A "transfer shower" is one with a special bench to which wheelchair users can transfer, so their chair doesn't have to be in the shower itself: that may be the folded-up wall bench in the shower in this tour.

Thank you so much! I am getting ready to remodel my bath, and will be removing the tub and want to install a transfer shower that is only 3-4 ft wide. This gives me an idea of how it can be configured - including having a shower curtain instead of a glass door. I have a small window in mine, so it will be lighter and feel more open than this one.

I also plan on using the extra room to install cubbies for towels, etc.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom