Any drawbacks to online check-in?

Forgive me if this has been discussed before, but my search didn't turn up anything relevant.

We arrive at WL next Monday (woo hoo!) Are there any drawbacks to checking in online ahead of time? I know it saves time, but will it prevent any kind of surprise room upgrade? Or does that kind of thing even happen anymore?

Thanks!

case88

I was cursing myself for not doing the online check in while waiting in the long line at CBR at the first of this month...however, when I finally made it to check in I was given a Water View Pirate Room. So it was worth it to wait the extra 10 minutes. My 2 boys loved the room.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I was cursing myself for not doing the online check in while waiting in the long line at CBR at the first of this month...however, when I finally made it to check in I was given a Water View Pirate Room. So it was worth it to wait the extra 10 minutes. My 2 boys loved the room.
On-line check in doe not in any way effect your room selection. In many cases it is done well before you even arrive.

Upvote 0

Sandurz

I did online check-in for AKL earlier this month, and maybe it was just bad timing, but they had about 9 people open doing regular check-in and 2 doing online. We walked in right as a DME bus finished unloading and had to wait 20 minutes in the online line while some folks in the regular line who got there the same time we did were off to their rooms after 10. Just my one experience with it though.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I did online check-in for AKL earlier this month, and maybe it was just bad timing, but they had about 9 people open doing regular check-in and 2 doing online. We walked in right as a DME bus finished unloading and had to wait 20 minutes in the online line while some folks in the regular line who got there the same time we did were off to their rooms after 10. Just my one experience with it though.
It can be hit or miss. I have had those days where I had gotten behind a person that had never been to WDW before and had done on-line check in. Needless to say, they had a question or eight. I knew I was sunk when the first one was "Where are my room keys? All that is in here is a bunch of paper and some plastic cards."

Upvote 0

luvtink

I debated on doing the online check-in for our trip in Dec. I had called Disney and made my room request and gave them 3 different requests so hopefully I would get one of those areas. Ended up not doing it and took my chances. So glad I did. The wait was about the same as the online check-in line since there were many more cast members doing the regular check-in. However when she showed me my room location it was not anywhere near any of the three top choices. The cast member found me the perfect room in the perfect location! :D

Upvote 0

ZipADeeSarah

Original Poster
Thank you all for the feedback. I've always done online check-in in the past for convenience. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't shooting myself in the foot by doing so. Considering I'll have a 14-month-old in tow, (yikes) I'll probably want to at least TRY to make my wait as short as possible. Thanks again!

Upvote 0

BigRedDad

There is one drawback. If your room is in a bad location, you are not supposed to use the line to try to find another room. So, you need to go through the regular check-in line to change it. This can get time consuming.

Upvote 0

G00fyDad

On-line check in doe not in any way effect your room selection. In many cases it is done well before you even arrive.

True, but by speaking to a CM at the desk instead of a screen I have been able to get them to switch my room several times when it was not in a desirable location. (Stand View to Stand View or Pref View to Pref View but in a better location.) Can you do this with the online check in at the check in kiosk? I ask because I have never used it. Also, because we go in late fall the wait at the desk for us to speak to a CM has never been more than 5 minutes. We usually just walk in and right up to the desk.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
True, but by speaking to a CM at the desk instead of a screen I have been able to get them to switch my room several times when it was not in a desirable location. (Stand View to Stand View or Pref View to Pref View but in a better location.) Can you do this with the online check in at the check in kiosk? I ask because I have never used it. Also, because we go in late fall the wait at the desk for us to speak to a CM has never been more than 5 minutes. We usually just walk in and right up to the desk.
Yes. They might take you to a different terminal, but you can always revise your room location.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom