Another "for anyone that's been to Disneyland" question

Steve1005

Original Poster
I guess I have to start all these with the back story.... It'll be my honeymoon, and first ever trip to Disneyland for the both of us. (Quick version) :)
We're nowhere near made out of money so we can't do it every day, but we'd like to do one, possibly two, table service meals while we're there.
After a whole ten minutes of looking I came up with Blue Bayou and Naples over at DTD.
Obviously neither is a set in stone thing since you can't book reservations till 60 days out, but are these good calls? Or am I overlooking something that's just WAY more amazing and should look into that instead?

Sweet Melissa

Personally, I would opt for Napa Rose over both. I know Blue Bayou is something that people like to do for the experience of dining inside Pirates of the Caribbean, but I find the food unimpressive. Ditto Naples. It's just another Italian restaurant brought to you by the Patina Group, and I don't think any of them are really worth a visit.

Steve1005

Original Poster
The only stuff I did find on my very small look into these last night was that BB was good, but they seem to pressure you to eat and leave to keep the volume of people on the high side, and someone from Disney food blog said that Naples was the closest thing they've ever had to pure Italian cuisine. So that's a shocker to see someone say "eh its Italian" I'm so torn!!!

Steve1005

Original Poster
And yes, that IS pretty shocking! I might do it anyways just to do something while waiting for my countdown to be over. Lol :)

lazyboy97o

Have you ever eaten at the Italy Pavilion? Tutto Italia and Via Napoli are operated by the same company as Naples.

Blue Bayou is definitely more about the atmosphere than the food, but Napa Rose is the premier dining experience at the resort.

Steve1005

Original Poster
I absolutely LOVED the pizza at Via Napoli when I went if February! I might just have to do that one then! :) and I'm gonna have to look into Napa Rose now and see what that's all about.

Hobnail Boot

I'm probably just repeating everyone else, but whatever. The only TS restaurants I ate at when I visited were those two, and we enjoyed them both. This was before Via Napoli opened so I really can't compare the two, but as said before they are both operated by the same company. Blue Bayou was very cool and the food was good, not exceptional. I would visit BB again for the atmosphere alone.

westie

Steakhouse 55 is my first choice. Second would be Carthay Circle with the World of Color package. Blue Bayou is very busy, crowded and hit and miss on the food. Not bad, just not my first choice.

kkocka

You don't have to make insane 60 day reservations, but make them maybe 2 weeks or so before your trip if you're concerned.

Napa Rose tops the fine dining experience easily, though you'll spend the most money there as well. If you really wanna go all-out, get a reservation for the Chef's Table at Napa Rose. Absolutely fantastic with a wine flight, though you'll spend $200+, but to me its totally worth it every time. If not, try Steakhouse 55 (love the steaks, get them oscar style with a crab cake on top). I make it to Steakhouse 55 several times a year without blinking an eye. If you make it to either restaurant, do yourself a favor and (as you're booking the reservation) mention you just got married and are celebrating your honeymoon. When you arrive to dine, ask if you can visit the wine cellar and you should be able to get some great free tastings to boot.

Ditch Blue Bayou. Inside the parks, I'd go to Carthay Circle in DCA for lunch or dinner. If you don't decide to eat there you can always just hang out in the lounge downstairs and have a few fantastic drinks. Surprisingly enough, Ariel's Grotto is sort of a hidden gem and I'd say #2 as far as food quality, though you do have character dining etc there.

Downtown Disney offers Catal, a Mediterranean joint, which outside in the evening can prove to be sorta romantic as you overlook Downtown. Not too pricey. Downstairs and outside is the bar area which serves food as well, though a bit more casual stuff (lamb burgers and the like).

Also in general I'd head to Main Street's City Hall and get your "Just Married" buttons and wear them EVERYWHERE. You should be able to get your own boat at It's A Small World, which is nice. That's what my wife and I did. :D

Travel Junkie

For the best food choices go with Napa Rose and Carthay Circle.

The food at Blue Bayou is hit and miss. What I would do is go on Pirates and you can see the restaurant from the ride. If the atmosphere is something you feel can't be missed, make a reservation after you get off the ride. Like others have said reservations can be done on short notice.

I would strongly recommend mixing plenty of counter service as well. Overall DLR has better counter service than WDW and there are several with great atmosphere at counter service prices. Don't rely exclusively on counter service for your big meals.

kkocka

One thing I'll say that stinks about Blue Bayou is that if you aren't seated on the waterfront, its a really weakened experience. A lot of seats are close to the entryway which brings in a TON of natural light, and that really kills the intimate atmosphere (that is if you go during the day, and believe me dinner slots fill up quickly).

TP2000

In order I vote:
Napa Rose
Blue Bayou (for Walt-era atmosphere)
Carthay Circle
Catal

Naples is more of an upscale pizza joint, but the view and vibe isn't as good as Catal up on the second floor.

Another option is the cocktail lounges. You can go get cocktails and appetizers at Napa Rose and feel like you've had a Napa Rose "experience". Same for Carthay Circle, although the lounge at Carthay is downstairs and not attached to the dining room, but still very nice.
And at the Disneyland Hotel there's the famous Trader Sams, and in the evening they have a good Hawaiian band on the lanai.

BubbaQuest

For me, it depends on how much time I have at the resort. If I only had 2 days, one day in each park, I would go with Blue Bayou and Carthay Circle. I think these are the best themed restaurants in each park. I don't like spending time leaving the parks just for food.

If you are staying at the Disney hotels and have the time (and money), I would take a look at Napa Rose and Steakhouse 55.

I also second Trader Sam's if you can find a table. It's just bar food, but a fun more-economical solution than the expensive restaurants.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom