Another death at WDW

DisneyHoneymoon

Typhoon Lagoon can really knock the stuffing out of you.... I grew up on the Jersey Shore and have a lot of experience riding the waves... At TL I got knocked in the head really bad by someone's foot kicking me -- I had a huge bump/bruise that did not go away for about a week. Could be that she was hit on the head when in the water and rec'd a bad concussion. It is not Disney who is at fault, it is the inexperienced "wave riders" who flounder all over the place kicking and flailing. If you don't know how to ride waves safely, then don't go so far out into TL! :( Sad news about the young girl, though.

disneylands

Account Suspended
I hate it when news aritcles say BOY/GIRL dies at Disney... Because that is almost never true. Unless I have my facts mixed up the boy who rode mission: space, died in a hospital, along with the girl on tower of terror, and so did the girl at typhoon, along with the tragic diving accident at the swan and dolfin. None of those four acctualy died on the attraction or even in the park for that matter. that gets me angry when news articles, do that kind of thing, they can say that it happened at disney but the shouldnt say the DIED at disney. That makes it sound as if it was disneys fault (sort of).:mad:

dont get me wrong I feel bad for the families however this is ridiculous, what is going on, there have been more deaths in one year than the entire disney world resort has been open. There is something wrong with that...:(

Frumpy

DisneyHoneymoon said:
Typhoon Lagoon can really knock the stuffing out of you.... I grew up on the Jersey Shore and have a lot of experience riding the waves... At TL I got knocked in the head really bad by someone's foot kicking me -- I had a huge bump/bruise that did not go away for about a week. Could be that she was hit on the head when in the water and rec'd a bad concussion. It is not Disney who is at fault, it is the inexperienced "wave riders" who flounder all over the place kicking and flailing. If you don't know how to ride waves safely, then don't go so far out into TL! :( Sad news about the young girl, though.

The waves at Typhoon Lagoon are nearly impossible to ride all they do is knock everyone around and into each other, there's no curl I don't know how they surf in the morining unless they change the wave somehow? I've lived by the ocean all my life, ride waves for days, I don't get it?

This is very sad news, I thought I read someplace (here?) that these things happen all the time at Disney we just don't hear about them, looks like it's a media frenzy thing i.e. shark attacks

TomorrowlandTyler

Frumpy said:
The waves at Typhoon Lagoon are nearly impossible to ride all they do is knock everyone around and into each other, there's no curl I don't know how they surf in the morining unless they change the wave somehow? I've lived by the ocean all my life, ride waves for days, I don't get it?

I believe I read before that at the wave pool at typhoon lagoon, they are able to make 4 types of waves, the big ones every 60 seconds, littler ones like they do every so often for smaller kids to be able to swim, ones for surfing in the morning, and one other kind, all form diffrently and all for diffrent purposes...I hope this helps, correct me if I'm wrong.

peter11435

disneylands said:
I hate it when news aritcles say BOY/GIRL dies at Disney... Because that is almost never true. Unless I have my facts mixed up the boy who rode mission: space, died in a hospital, along with the girl on tower of terror, and so did the girl at typhoon, along with the tragic diving accident at the swan and dolfin. None of those four acctualy died on the attraction or even in the park for that matter. that gets me angry when news articles, do that kind of thing, they can say that it happened at disney but the shouldnt say the DIED at disney. That makes it sound as if it was disneys fault (sort of).:mad:

dont get me wrong I feel bad for the families however this is ridiculous, what is going on, there have been more deaths in one year than the entire disney world resort has been open. There is something wrong with that...:(
Just so you know the ToT girl did not die, and neither did the guy from the swan dolphin incident.

Frumpy

BeachClub1 said:
I believe I read before that at the wave pool at typhoon lagoon, they are able to make 4 types of waves, the big ones every 60 seconds, littler ones like they do every so often for smaller kids to be able to swim, ones for surfing in the morning, and one other kind, all form diffrently and all for diffrent purposes...I hope this helps, correct me if I'm wrong.

Sounds right?....all I know is I'm a big guy and I'm wary when I'm out there, last time I almost lost my sunglasses and thought I bloodied my nose, It's fun but....the Lazy river rules!

(now I gotta try the surfing in the morning sometime)

rosebud's mom

Condolences to the girl's family and the friends/relatives that took her on vacation.

I also am angered by the way these things are presented in the media. I live in Ohio, but get my network news out of New York. On the morning news today they were reporting a 7 year old boy's death at a small amusement park in upstate New York. At this time they are unsure if the boy fell from the ride or got scared and jumped out of the boat. ( Apparently it was a sort of log flume ride.) The segment continued with the gentleman who is in charge of amusement park regulations for the state discussing that perhaps height requirements are not enough as it does not factor in extremely tall but very skinny children who may not fit the restraint systems properly. Interestingly enough, this particular ride had NO safety belts or bars at all !

What really upsets me is that after this man's interview concluded, the reporter went on to mention the boy's death, as she put it, ON Mission Space at WDW ! While any child's death is tragic and should never be minimized, there is absolutely no connection between the 2 incidents. To be fair, they did list the statistics of injuries/deaths so far this year across the nation at amusement parks, but Disney was the ONLY other park mentioned by name or specific incident.

so this comes to, to old woman who died on POTC, the man with the pacemaker who died on Dinosaur(?), the little boy who died on M:S, the girl who became ill on TOT, the boy who nearly drowned in the lake, and now this girl who became ill at TL...

prayers go out to all the families of these poor people

CAPTAIN HOOK

Another sad story concerning WDW - my thoughts are with the family.

This is the fourth incident (that I can remember) at WDW this year - are there any statistics about deaths at WDW (I know that nobody "officially" dies on property) - This has got to be the most tradgic year in a long time.

Sherm00

unfortunitly it happened on disney, actually this is more commen that you think in teens. My sister-in-law when she was 19 passed out in school got up and went to the nurse said she was fine got home passed out again. found out when she passed out her heart stopped beating. she is athletic and in perfect health otherwise. she ended up having to have a pacemaker put it. Doctor said it has become increasingly comming especially in kids that are very active. if you look at the news you will occasionally see students passout while playing basketball or during other sports. This isn't disney's fault. My condolences to the family. the only thing that I think disney could do to improve was if they have even a little concern about someone to take them to first aid. I don't think it was heat stroke because she was in the water.

Ivan72

The parents certainly do need our prayers. I can't imagine their grief, with this happening to their child while away from their presence.

If it is heatstroke or something similar, it wouldn't suprise me. Water parks in particular I think are deceptive in that you can become severly dehydrated and overheated internally, but not notice it due to being immersed in the water.

One year at BB one of our daughters failed to drink enough fluids and became a little ill. We remedied it with Powerade from the great Disney staff. But it can happen.

With a property as vast as WDW with so many millions of people on property, the normal odds would indicate some will die there, but it is no less a tragedy
when it happens. So sad. Pray for them.

DisneyBride94

http://www.snopes.com/disney/parks/declare.htm

I once spoke to a CM at TOT and whether they were telling the truth or not I can't say, but he said that they keep an ambulance on property near TOT and that people suffer heart attacks on the ride quite often.

People with certain health conditions are patently warned not to ride certain rides... if people choose to do so, they are riding at their own risk. And of course there are peope that don't know that they have an underlying medical condition that may put them at risk...

I know that I have inadvertently ridden several attractions while in the early stages of pregnancy--including TOT, RnR, and Mission Space with no ill effects. ) Twice. :) I conceived my DD at Disney World on one trip...so she was just a bunch of cells at the time...but I was 6 weeks pregnant with my DS#2 when I found out I was expecting while on a trip at WDW.

I think certain rides are more psychologically traumatizing to certain riders than they are physically dangerous... I find Mission Space to be very realistic...but not scarey--but I would not take my 5 year old because I think it is too intense and he may have difficulty separating reality from simulation... I remember when they had 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea... my brother was probably 5 at the time...and he was VERY frightened by that ride because he really thought we were fathoms beneath the sea... when in reality we were only barely under the surface... It scared the crap out of him. Space Mountain did not scare him at all.

Disney can't be responsible for the health conditions of visitors... Though my heart goes out to that young girl's familiy, I don't know why her party left her unattended and alone at such a young age. Heat stroke, dehydration, many things could've been a factor, but TL lifeguards were apparently offering her assistance that was declined. She said she was fine. I'm not sure what Ledge or Island she was supposedly lying on...I've never seen anything beyond a kind of sandbar type thing on the outskirst of the wave pool...kind of like a tidal pool area where little ones play.

TL is my favorite of all the Disney parks. But any place where you are out in the water and hot sun can be dangerous. I have all three of my kids wear UV protection sunsuit swimsuits....all three have the same color...and they really stand out so I can keep a close eye on them...and I know that they are kept cool in them (they may look warm....but they filter the sun ight and they keep ths skin cooler than bare skin). I think they are fabulous...and my kids really like their "surf suits."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom