Annual Passholder

disney4life2008

What are the benefits of being a Annual Passholder? I am a resident of Illinois - when I go to Disney, I normally stay in a timeshare ($400 or less for 8 days). But, of course I have to pay for parking everytime i go to the parks. Also, I normally get a 7 to 10 day ticket which can be $250 or more dollars (no hoping, no unlimiited access, etc.). What are the benefits in terms of discounts, food, etc.? I travel to disney twice a year and if I had the pass would probally travel more as my access would be unlimited. Please help me.

disneygirl76

Carey Poppins - Nanny and Disney Enthusiest
We are getting the AP pass for the first time this year. From what I understand it can provide discounts at WDW hotels, you can get Tables of Wonderland which is the AP discount for Dining (20% of entire table, including drinks - but no matter how many people, 18% gratuity). You can also get special discounts on tickets for special events and I believe there are also special invites you can get into things - tapings of shows and preview of rides and such. I don't know all the ins and outs yet b/c this is the first year we will be doing this, but I hope this info helps. :)

Upvote 0

disney4life2008

Original Poster
We are getting the AP pass for the first time this year. From what I understand it can provide discounts at WDW hotels, you can get Tables of Wonderland which is the AP discount for Dining (20% of entire table, including drinks - but no matter how many people, 18% gratuity). You can also get special discounts on tickets for special events and I believe there are also special invites you can get into things - tapings of shows and preview of rides and such. I don't know all the ins and outs yet b/c this is the first year we will be doing this, but I hope this info helps. :)

18% gratuity seems like a lot. What about is you only get a basket of fries at Pop Century.. 18% is going to be applied - minus 20% discount? that is only a 2% discount or am I missunderstaing?

Upvote 0

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
If you go twice a year and stay 7+ days each time, it's definitely worth looking into an AP.

Free parking, 10% off at WoD, occasional AP events that may coincide with your visits [or your visits can be timed to coincide] and occasional room discounts that can sometimes be cheaper than what you're paying off-site. The free parking and World of Disney discounts are consistent, the rest are hit-and-miss. But...

A 7-day base ticket is $242.82.
An AP is $499.49.

So, two trips a year with a base 7-day ticket costs $495.64, but an AP is only $3.85 more. One day's parking makes it a bargain. Then the second and subsequent years you save more because renewals are only $456.89.

And with the AP you get park hopping included.

The downside is the traveling more because you have unlimited access. I had APs once because we always traveled in February and I figured I could do two February trips on the APs. Then temptation kicked in and we went in June and again in August. All the 'savings' went out the window! :lol:

Upvote 0

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
18% gratuity seems like a lot. What about is you only get a basket of fries at Pop Century.. 18% is going to be applied - minus 20% discount? that is only a 2% discount or am I missunderstaing?
At Pop they don't add a gratuity [the gratuity is at Table Service]. The discount is only 2% if you wouldn't tip at all.

Upvote 0

disney4life2008

Original Poster
If you go twice a year and stay 7+ days each time, it's definitely worth looking into an AP.

Free parking, 10% off at WoD, occasional AP events that may coincide with your visits [or your visits can be timed to coincide] and occasional room discounts that can sometimes be cheaper than what you're paying off-site. The free parking and World of Disney discounts are consistent, the rest are hit-and-miss. But...

A 7-day base ticket is $242.82.
An AP is $499.49.

So, two trips a year with a base 7-day ticket costs $495.64, but an AP is only $3.85 more. One day's parking makes it a bargain. Then the second and subsequent years you save more because renewals are only $456.89.

And with the AP you get park hopping included.

The downside is the traveling more because you have unlimited access. I had APs once because we always traveled in February and I figured I could do two February trips on the APs. Then temptation kicked in and we went in June and again in August. All the 'savings' went out the window! :lol:

Very true. I am looking at the theme park savings above anything. The thought of being able to take a weekend trip and not worry about park admission is wonderful. I dont mind the hotel - that is always going to be an expense. I like Disney to get away and EAT!!!! lol

But, I am still confused about the 18% gratuity?

Upvote 0

disneygirl76

Carey Poppins - Nanny and Disney Enthusiest
18% gratuity seems like a lot. What about is you only get a basket of fries at Pop Century.. 18% is going to be applied - minus 20% discount? that is only a 2% discount or am I misunderstanding?

ha ha Sorry! That is on the TS meals. There are very few (only a couple) of CS places that give you the discount. The TofW is a discount primarily for the TS meals.

Upvote 0

disney4life2008

Original Poster
Upvote 0

heliumalias

The TofW discount is available in most of the hotel counter service places. I think I managed to start saving money with that after about 5 days (and that was just buying food for 1).
You also get discounts in various places in the marketplace (Ghiradelli's for one) with the AP. Discounts on tours and special events as well.

Upvote 0

cabihler

annual pass benefits

hi there... we have had annual passes for longer than i can remember... perhaps 25 years... that seems sort of too long but in any case about 6 months after they began to offer them.

over the years disney has changed its ticket programs and of course also raised the rates too LOL...

for our family the primary benefit reasons for having the AP has always been 1) we tend to go multiple times a year, usually 3 to 5 times, for about 7 to 10 days for each trip so the cost of the AP is by far a better value than any other ticket available; and 2) we try to always go when disney offers the AP room discounts.

there are other benefits like dinning discounts at many of the disney eateries although most of these discounts are now only available for lunch time; discounts at some of the downtown disney stores; free parking at the park parking lots; reduced ticket costs for some of the other disney entertainment places such as disney quest and the petty driving school etc. and other benefits as well but as mentioned earlier those first two reasons are the show stoppers.

are they a good value for you???? well that depends on how many days you go down there to disney per year...

Upvote 0

disney4life2008

Original Poster
If you are an AP holder and you stay on disney property.. are you no longer eligable for the DDP? It seems that the dining plan and the magic your way packages are linked up to a ticket.

Upvote 0

Susan Savia

We are AP holders and we go two times a year, the second time always just before it expires. Remember its $12 a day to park too, so the AP saves on parking. Since you go more often it would definitely be a good thing for you! :):)

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

So far you have gotten some great advice here. As others have said the primary benefit of the AP is 365 days of admission. I have the AP for exactly that reason. Annual Passholder rates , while offered most times, are never guaranteed to be given, and they may not include every resort or every room category within that resort. Also the AP rates are offered in limited quantities so if you know of a set of dates that you want to go and AP rates are released for those times, book them as quickly as possible!!! To book AP discounted rooms with or without the Dining plan, either contact Disney or your friendly travel agent!!! Belle

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

Hey folks A note about the AP rooms with the DDP. This is a package, not a room only reservation and as such must be paid for in full 45 days prior to your arrival, the same as a regular package. It is also subject to different cancellation rules than an AP room only reservation. Belle

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom