animated movies

mf1972

Original Poster
don't know if this has been discussed before, but I do miss & sometimes wonder if disney would ever make a old style animated movie. not computer animated like Pixar.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
don't know if this has been discussed before, but I do miss & sometimes wonder if disney would ever make a old style animated movie. not computer animated like Pixar.

I think there was a recent interview where someone said it is not likely. Most of the 2D animators are gone as is most of their 2D equipment.

Sweet Melissa

I think there was a recent interview where someone said it is not likely. Most of the 2D animators are gone as is most of their 2D equipment.
Many animators — 2D or 3D — are on contract anyway. They're hired for the duration of the project, and either let go or reassigned at the end of it. It would not be hard to get some hand-drawn animators on a new feature if Disney wanted to. However, it probably isn't likely given the modest earnings of The Princess and the Frog in 2009 and Winnie the Pooh in 2011.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Many animators — 2D or 3D — are on contract anyway. They're hired for the duration of the project, and either let go or reassigned at the end of it. It would not be hard to get some hand-drawn animators on a new feature if Disney wanted to. However, it probably isn't likely given the modest earnings of The Princess and the Frog in 2009 and Winnie the Pooh in 2011.

When I found out that Andreas Deja left Disney, I knew it was the end of an era

Disneyfanman

For the longest time I was angry about traditional animation fading. Now, for whatever reason, I celebrate the change. I love the classics but I look forward to the new just as much.

It would be very difficult for Disney to do a traditionally animated movie. They have parted ways with almost the entire 2D staff, including veterans that at one point would never have been left go. The equipment is gone as well so they would have to repurchase everything.

In some ways it bothers me that traditional animation has seen it's end at the place of it's creation, but I think it was going to happen eventually. I do believe that even Walt would've made this same move. With his well known reputation for incorporating technology and developing tech for his cartoons it would've only been a matter of time before he would've embraced computer animation.

Bairstow

It's bound to happen eventually, but not in the foreseeable future.

Any forthcoming "traditional" animated movie would probably drawn with the assistance of software, though, like Flash.

I can't see Disney, or anyone else, for that matter, making another major-release animated movie completely by hand-drawn animation, though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom