Animal Kingdom Tree of Life to Light Up

Sage of Time

I would be curious to see how projections would work on a tree since has no single border to project on. That is not to say it's impossible--just that I'd be curious to see how it would work.
I think it'd be complicated, but similar to how MK projects onto the rounded and detail spires of Cinderella Castle. It's possible...

doctornick

"Then again there are no sure things here. The budget for this night show has been reported to have received massive cuts since last year or so, and it occurred after both pieces of art were released by Disney."

Question: In the threads talking DHS redo it has been stated budgets don't get cut once approved, it's WDI going over budget and things getting cut that cause projects to be scaled back. Is your statement here about actual budget cuts or WDI going over?

I think it's more like WDI requested a budget of $x for Rivers of Light and had detailed plans as for what they would encompass. Management approved a budget of $y which is less than requested. So, items that would have been present in the larger budget had to be removed. This gets reported by some as a "budget being cut" but it's necessarily accurate.

CaptainAmerica

Sorry. My reply fail may have caused some confusion. I was only referencing the DHS redo as a way of explaining what I had heard about budgets and projects being cut. Merlin had stated the budget for the AK night time show has received massive cuts since last year. Since other threads had mentioned budgets don't get cut once approved it is actually WDI going over budget and having to scale back I wondered if that was the case with the AK project.
I believe Merlin was mistaken.

Sped2424

It was just the way the first part of the post was written. I'm thankful the OP gave us this information. I thought I had read somewhere here that the refurb was specifically to install the new lights, but I admit I did not know they were being tested or even really think about it. Please pardon my sass.
The sass police are letting you off with a warning. But just this once pal.

Scor1pion

Well if I lived closer (1100 miles away) I would take my camera and zoom lens and take some tree pics and see if we could see anything in the leaves. Anyone on here have a camera with a good zoom?

Minthorne

During the first night of Harambe Nights in June 2014 they had a sparkle/firefly effect of LED lights going on the tree as we exited - where the LED lights randomly would go on and off individually and they rotated color if I recalled correctly. I never video but I should have...

Nmoody1

I believe that during Rivers of Light the Tree of Life will use spotlights shining up out of the tree (think Fantasmic lights or diamond lights behind castle in new DL show).

MerlinTheGoat

Pretty. I imagine the final product will be larger than this. This seems to be accomplished just through the use of lasers.

No offense, but i can't say i'm impressed with that at all. I hope the final product is way better than that, doesn't even come close to the concept art.

Question: In the threads talking DHS redo it has been stated budgets don't get cut once approved, it's WDI going over budget and things getting cut that cause projects to be scaled back. Is your statement here about actual budget cuts or WDI going over?
I believe Merlin was mistaken.
Both @marni1971 and @whylightbulb stated last year that the budget for Rivers of Light had been substantially cut. Specifically stating that the show was originally intended to be something on the scale/quality of Fantasmic meets World of Color, but the slashes had instead reduced it to something more like a smaller scale Bellagio fountain show. So ask them about the details of how this cut came about.

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...ys-animal-kingdom.875251/page-45#post-6467070
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...stake-in-20-years.885865/page-46#post-6183458

WDW1974 also recently posted that Rivers of Light costs about $100 million (also confirming Pandora is around $500 million).

brb1006

Does this mean this might mark the first time Animal Kingdom has ever been up at night? Because I remember most of the guests would leave during the afternoon usually after the now-gone parade is finished.

FlyingCat

No offense, but i can't say i'm impressed with that at all. I hope the final product is way better than that, doesn't even come close to the concept art.

Both @marni1971 and @whylightbulb stated last year that the budget for Rivers of Light had been substantially cut. Specifically stating that the show was originally intended to be something on the scale/quality of Fantasmic meets World of Color, but the slashes had instead reduced it to something more like a smaller scale Bellagio fountain show. So ask them about the details of how this cut came about.

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...ys-animal-kingdom.875251/page-45#post-6467070
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...stake-in-20-years.885865/page-46#post-6183458

WDW1974 also recently posted that Rivers of Light costs about $100 million (also confirming Pandora is around $500 million).
Didnt World Of Color cost 75 million dollars though? Doesnt that mean this show will be 25 million more dollars than World of color? or am i missing somthing

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Does this mean this might mark the first time Animal Kingdom has ever been up at night? Because I remember most of the guests would leave during the afternoon usually after the now-gone parade is finished.
No. EMH regularly had it open after dark.

ABQ

I don't want to go off topic, but was there any talk of Harambe Nights taking place in 2015? I know some folks were underwhelmed, but I thought for the most part the events were well received?

MerlinTheGoat

Didnt World Of Color cost 75 million dollars though? Doesnt that mean this show will be 25 million more dollars than World of color? or am i missing somthing
I've heard that amount thrown around, unsure if it's accurate (there's a lot of misinformation regarding specific budgets of the DCA overhaul, including what specific attractions cost within the overall budget). I will remind everyone however that World of Color is now over 5 years old (June 2010), and that's just since it opened. Its announcement occurred in 2007, which would mean that initial budgeting and development stretches even further back than that. So the show itself was probably funded and conceptualized well over 7 years ago.

It's well known how bloated and unbalanced Disney has become with its spending. Something that seems to get worse as time goes on. 7+ years is actually quite a long time. If you were to adjust World of Color's cost to the Disney spending of today, i'd not be at all surprised if it would require well over $100 million.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom