Animal Kingdom Lodge

Have you Been to Animal Kingdom Lodge?

• Total voters

HollyAD

I love AKL and we had an amazing time last week! Make sure to take the shuttle over to Kidani village where the Villas are located. They also have observation areas and down on the first floor near Sanaa they have an area with some cool tortoises. Also make sure to wander around the pool area at Jambo house. They have a few more observation areas there that will also give you a good view. There are guides around the observation areas so feel free to ask them questions. They told me that the animals liked the rain because the grass was softer. So we did notice the animals were closer right after the rain. Good luck and enjoy :)

Future Imagineer

Original Poster
I don't even know how many times I stayed there. A lot. But never once did I have the experience of a giraffe or whatever coming up to my window, like they show in the films and like other people talk about. I'm not saying you won't, but it can easily happen that nothing comes close to you. So, there's that. You might also be put in a room that is higher up, which is a nice view of everything, but feels a little removed.

Different rooms are on different parts of the animal viewing areas, so the animals you see in one area may not necessarily be the ones you see elsewhere. If you walk the halls of the hotel, there are big windows through which you can see animals. There is also interesting artwork all over the place.

The gift shop has interesting items.

The Mara (fast food place) is pretty decent. I don't know why - maybe it is the decor - but it's my favorite of the hotel quickie places. You have to go outside and back in to get there. Not for long! But you must exit the hotel to get there.

I'm not a Boma fan because I don't like too much adventure when I eat. Even the potatoes had some kind of green, spice-like stuff on them. Also didn't like the ten-million-dollars-a-glass breakfast juice, but most people I ate breakfast with liked it a lot. Many people LOVE Boma. It was THE place to go before Le Cellier was THE place to go.

No hotel feels as inviting and relaxing at the end of a long day in the parks. The wood is nice and dark. It's big. It's solid. It just swallows up all of your stress and welcomes you back to a calm, lovely place.

The rooms are small, but other than that, the AKL is the best hotel in WDW. IMO. Hope you like it!!!
Hey umhh so is the Mara a place to have like breakfast or dinner if we aren't at a the park?

rt06

If you have kids, be sure to collect the activity beads. Nice Disney keepsake.

Mara is the quick service restaurant. Boma is the sit down buffet. Both located at Jambo House.

Future Imagineer

Original Poster
:joyfull:I was wondering what the name of the animal list that they give you when you check in. And is there anything that you recommend to do at the hotel? Please right back!

Future Imagineer

Original Poster
I love AKL and we had an amazing time last week! Make sure to take the shuttle over to Kidani village where the Villas are located. They also have observation areas and down on the first floor near Sanaa they have an area with some cool tortoises. Also make sure to wander around the pool area at Jambo house. They have a few more observation areas there that will also give you a good view. There are guides around the observation areas so feel free to ask them questions. They told me that the animals liked the rain because the grass was softer. So we did notice the animals were closer right after the rain. Good luck and enjoy :)
do you recommend to do anything at the hotel?

luv

I don't know the name of the list, but there was one in every room. They have some thing at night where you go listen to someone talk. My sister liked that a lot. I didn't go. There is a kid parade in the evening. It is a little loud, but very cute - I just happened to be in the lobby and didn't watch the whole thing, but I think it would be fun for a kid who likes that sort of thing!

I think you can look at animals with night vision goggles...or you could, once upon a time. I think. Another thing I didn't do.

Other than that, the viewing area and the art in the lobby/halls, I just don't know.

Good luck. Have fun. :)

HollyAD

do you recommend to do anything at the hotel?
I know there are free activities offered by the resort. We only had the chance to do face painting and cookie decorating. I saw they also had stories by A campfire at night and I believe you can roast marshmallows there too. The night we wanted to go it was raining:( we had a schedule given to us at check in so make sure to look at yours. Also the Mara is the quick service restaurant there and it's by the pool. There is Indoor and outdoor seating. I enjoyed grabbing a snack and sitting outside by the pool. Oh and there are other cultural activities such as learning how to play drums which my niece enjoyed. So much to do and not enough time!

Bob

B00b
Premium Member
Courtesy of another WDW fan site:

Any special programs?
Yes, there are a number of special programs offered throughout the day at AKL. Be sure to ask for a list when you check-in to the hotel. A sampling of the recent programs offered at the resort (all programs subject to change without notice):

--flamingo feedings at the Flamingo Pond
--animal tracking at Arusha Rock
--Music of the Savanna in the Sunset Lounge
--wildlife games in the Sunset Lounge
--African games and crafts on the Uzima Pool Deck
--cultural safari in the Sunset Lounge
--animal viewing with Night Vision
--Adventure Camp for children 6-14 that includes ostrich egg painting, private lodge tour and lunch overlooking the savanna.
--Cookie decorating at Boma

Outside, at the Arusha Rock, there is nightly African storytelling next to Ogun's Firepit. (Storytelling is held indoors in the event of inclement weather.) If you have the opportunity, take the time to speak with the storytellers.

gwhb75

AKL is fantastics. We've stayed there twice, and we're staying there again in September. In terms of things to do:

1) As many have mentioned, there are observation decks all over the resorts so you can see animals from all over the place (actually, there are lots of common areas with windows facing the savana too)
2) The night vision goggles are cool to do at least once.
3) At Kidani there is a community hall that has all kinds of games and crafts you can do (you can also borrow board games to take back to your room). They also have PS3s, a pool table, a Foosball table, and a wide selection of Disney movies
4) in the evening, at Kidani, one of the case members does a quick (usually 15 minute) presentation on the country in Africa they are from. Very interesting.
5) Check the bulletin boards in the hotel for the list of daily activities too.

coachwnh

:joyfull:I was wondering what the name of the animal list that they give you when you check in. And is there anything that you recommend to do at the hotel? Please right back!
They have free cookie decorating at 1 pm daily. Its was always at Boma, but on our last stay three weeks ago, we did it in Jiko. Kids love it.

DSC06808
by coachwnh, on Flickr

There are also learning centers set up in the lobby throughout the day were CMs from Africa teach about the animals in their native countries

DSC06966
by coachwnh, on Flickr

DSC06969
by coachwnh, on Flickr

Future Imagineer

Original Poster
Thanks everyone I will use all this information and I will of course use it all! Bye!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will right my experience in a week to you guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!BYE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Voice of Disney sanity

There's a special tour of the savana that you can book at the concierge that concludes with dinner at jiko. It starts with tea and cookies at jiko and lasts about 3 hours and includes the chef coming out at dinner and explaining your meal. I forget what the tour is called but its pretty special and got us within a foot of several giraffes. If you're able to make sure you book it. It's pretty amazing!

Omi19

The Wanyama Safari through the Lodge grounds that concludes with dinner at Jiko is very nice. But also very pricey, about $200 per person.

tare

I would only stay there if I paid the higher price and got the savanah (sp) rooms. I would want to see the animals any time I liked.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom