Animal Kingdom Lodge, Beach Club or Boardwalk?

dizneydreamer27

Original Poster
I am a new member of DVC. Our home resort is Animal Kingdom Lodge. We made our first trip in May and stayed there. We were in Jambo House on the 5th floor in a savannah view. Absolutely loved it, but have heard great things about Beach Club and Boardwalk. Only complaint was that it was harder to spot some of the animals that got closer because we were level with the trees and they were partially hidden. Any thoughts on if we should stick to what we already know we enjoy or try one of the others? We would be going again May 2012. I also don't know what the chances of us getting another resort at the that time of year would be for either of those resorts. Thanks for any input.

dreamscometrue

Hi...welcome to the boards. :)

Congratulations on your DVC purchase. It's been the best thing we've ever done for our family, and has 'forced' us to take a break once or twice a year and spend quality time away from work, university, Blackberries, etc.

We have been DVC members for 4 years and our home resort is AKV as well. We've completed 7 vacations since we joined and have stayed at Jambo House, Kidani Village, Bay Lake Tower, Saratoga Springs, Wilderness Lodge Villas and the Boardwalk Villas. (We love being able to do that. :))

We have never done a vacation without part or all of it being at Jambo or Kidani. Our home resort is our favourite. Having said that, we've very much enjoyed splitting most of our trips, spending the first 3-4 days at a 'non home' resort, and the rest at Jambo or Kidani. I would suggest trying that to see what other resorts are like...we've enjoyed them all!

Typically, we'll book the entire trip at AKL at 11 months out. At the 7 month booking window (for non home DVC resorts), we'll call to change the first 3-4 days to BLT, Boardwalk, etc. If we can't get anything, we go on the waitlist with 2 choices. As an example, we enjoyed the first 3 days of our Christmas vacation at BLT (hustle and bustle near MK...fireworks, monorails, etc.), then did the next 6 nights at Jambo where we heard nothing at night but a crackling fire. Next trip, we're starting at the Boardwalk. It's all good.

Pioneer Hall

All good resorts, so why not branch out a bit. The Epcot resorts give you a great location to get to two of the parks and there is a lot going on that area. Completely different feel from AKL in my opinion but very good.

slappy magoo

If you haven't already, book at your home resort for May, so you know you have something. Between now and the beginning of your 7 month window, think about where else you'd like to stay, in the order of preference. Then when you hit the window, give DVC a call and see if you can switch. And if you're "stuck" at VAK, ask for a lower floor.

dizneydreamer27

Original Poster
Thanks for all your replies. I did book AKL Jambo House today so we are set to go from May 6th through the 13th. I am thinking we may try another one this time if we can though. I'm leaning towards the Beach Club because the cast member I booked with told me the pool area is great and I think my kids would love it.
DH and I are headed to Disney for Halloween and are staying off property at another timeshare. Can we check out the resorts even if we aren't staying there so we will know what we like for the future? Thanks for your help!

dreamscometrue

Thanks for all your replies. I did book AKL Jambo House today so we are set to go from May 6th through the 13th. I am thinking we may try another one this time if we can though. I'm leaning towards the Beach Club because the cast member I booked with told me the pool area is great and I think my kids would love it.
DH and I are headed to Disney for Halloween and are staying off property at another timeshare. Can we check out the resorts even if we aren't staying there so we will know what we like for the future? Thanks for your help!

People are often in resorts at which they are not staying since there are restaurants there, or they want to look around before booking. Every DVC resort, like every hotel anywhere, has pros and cons. It won't hurt to try them all...even for a few days each.

Have fun. Go check out the Beach Club...great spot. You certainly won't be able to miss Stormalong Bay pool either, even if you try. :)

goodanu

We are new too! So excited for our first trip in March. We are owners at SSR and we are staying in the BCV for our first trip as DVC owners. We have stayed at the resort before and love the location. We hope to try all the resorts , good luck with your choice. Can't seem to think you can make a bad decision here. They are all great.

KingdomofDreams

I am a new member of DVC. Our home resort is Animal Kingdom Lodge. We made our first trip in May and stayed there. We were in Jambo House on the 5th floor in a savannah view. Absolutely loved it, but have heard great things about Beach Club and Boardwalk. Only complaint was that it was harder to spot some of the animals that got closer because we were level with the trees and they were partially hidden. Any thoughts on if we should stick to what we already know we enjoy or try one of the others? We would be going again May 2012. I also don't know what the chances of us getting another resort at the that time of year would be for either of those resorts. Thanks for any input.

We're not DVC owners but we've stayed at AKL several times and we absolutely love it. It's a beautiful property, very special in many ways, but the lower floors are definitely better in our opinion. Don't know what your DVC options are, but if you can, I'd try to get a lower floor for sure.

We haven't stayed at BC, but it's the one I'd like to experience next trip. The extreme theming is not the same as at AKL, but it looks like a very attractive resort. The draw there would definitely be the location, right next door to Epcot, the best pool area on property, Stormalong Bay, and Beaches and Cream. :animwink:

Now if I can just get the family on board with that...

dizneydreamer27

Original Poster
I've never been to Beaches N Cream. Perhaps we can check it out in October. Thanks for the tip. Our last trip in May we used the Disney Dining Plan for the first time so a whole new world of places to eat and snacks opened up to us. We ate at Le Celier, Ohana, Teppan Edo, Cinderella's Royal Table, and Crystal Palace. Also tried the Dole Whip for the first time and can't wait to get back and have it a zillion more times!

Little Lion Man

I would stay at Boardwalk. Ive stayed there 6 times and you just cant beat the easy access to EPCOT and DHS, plus it is less points than BCV. Plus the Flower and Garden Festival should be going on around that time so its nice to end the day at EPCOT and just stroll back to your room without any buses.

koryadams

I was at Kidani Village in May 2011 and it was my first DVC vacation and it was amazing!!!!! I am staying at Beach club and Boardwalk in 2012. I know for a fact they wont be as great as Kidani Village, BUT they look great and I can't wait to check them out. I would say try other resorts at first, then come back to your home resort. My home resort is Bay Lake Tower and I am dying to stay there! But if it were me, I would pick Boardwalk!

I hope this helps!

slappy magoo

I would stay at Boardwalk. Ive stayed there 6 times and you just cant beat the easy access to EPCOT and DHS, plus it is less points than BCV.

Boardwalk Villas have two classifications for each sized room based on view - a Standard View and a Boardwalk/Preferred view. There is no classification for any room at Beach Club Villas.

The Standard view rooms at Boardwalk Villas use significantly fewer points than the Beach Club Villas. A Boardwalk/Preferred view is the same (or incredibly close to the same) amount of points as any same-sized room at Beach Club.

If you try to get a room at Boardwalk to save points compared to Beach Club, make sure you request a Standard View, or else you won't see any drastic point savings.

koryadams

Kidani Village is like the best DVC resort in my opinion because it has a pool area like a small water park and the rooms are so spacious and just amazing! I thought it wasn't going to be as good as other resorts but it tops all! It was just truly a great experience and recommend staying there on anyone's next vacation!

vanhirelondonuk

Enjoying vacations in resorts, villas is amazing. Big hotels are also good. And, if these found near beaches, it will be marvellous to spend peaceful holidays.

evvaberry

Well, All the resorts are well, so why not branch out a bit. Animal Kingdom Lodge is an excellent location to go to parks experience and there are many things about the area. AKL feel completely different in my opinion, very good.

In my opinion, I think Beach Club is the better resort and the best of all the DVC resorts.

It has great location, with respect to the Studios, Epcot and the Boardwalk area. We always go during Spring Break, so we often find ourselves in ESPN Club watching march madness. We love the pool, the atmosphere, it is one of the greatest areas in all of Disney World.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom