Ancient thread bumpers

prberk

I get what you're saying, Paul, and agree with it to a point. The thing I've seen more of though, that I find equally annoying , is that whenever there is any kind of news, there are 6 or 8 threads about it immediately. It's as if there is no search option here or something. Does it really take that long to check to see if one's "news" is really "news":?

I think there is a middle ground, which I think that DDuckFan130 said well.

I totally agree! And as far as 6-8 threads on the same subject, that was regulated as best as possible and yes people need to search if the news came out on the same day. But I don't want to wade through 100's of pages to find out about the MagicBand and whatnot. I'm not THAT bored! I'll just read the news section or go elsewhere.

But you gotta admit the complaining about Disney and nit picking hasn't changed at all LOL. I can't wait for my 4th of July trip to find something to complain about! :rolleyes:

Encourage searching, and put together duplicate threads on real news. But when there is real news, please start a new thread in News and Rumors.

And I will be there on the fifth of July -- glad they are extending the Independence Day fireworks. (By the way, since Steve is British and he owns WDW Magic, I wonder if we should call July 4, "The day the mutiny was complete"? In fact I wonder what British children are taught about the American Revolution.) Anyhow, maybe we will run into each other!

sweetpee_1993

Perhaps the lack of a lot of new threads regarding new "News" at WDW is the scarcity of any real news emanating from the parks.
I think you hit the nail on the head with that one!

Imagine a day when you "click" News & Rumors and the page pops up blank with the exception of:

This section closed until further notice due to lack of anything news- or rumor- worthy.

It's an interesting concept to consider, really. Interesting, indeed.

Maybe we need an "ongoing conversation" sub-section within the News/Rumors. That way the posters participating in the years-long conversations have a place to "hang" and the News/Rumors is kept easier to spot anything fresh & new. Mind you, I think this would cause a problem with crickets chirping in the News/Rumors area but you get the idea. :D

sweetpee_1993

And I will be there on the fifth of July -- glad they are extending the Independence Day fireworks. (By the way, since Steve is British and he owns WDW Magic, I wonder if we should call July 4, "The day the mutiny was complete"? In fact I wonder what British children are taught about the American Revolution.) Anyhow, maybe we will run into each other!

I never thought about this. Now I shall spend the day pondering what I learned about the evil oppressive Redcoats and stress over what the heck British children learn about the mutinous heathens across the pond. Oh myyyyyyy, I suppose it's no wonder Americans aren't held in the highest of regard... Thank you for the perspective check!

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Imagine a day when you "click" News & Rumors and the page pops up blank with the exception of:

This section closed until further notice due to lack of anything news- or rumor- worthy.

It's an interesting concept to consider, really. Interesting, indeed.

Maybe we need an "ongoing conversation" sub-section within the News/Rumors. That way the posters participating in the years-long conversations have a place to "hang" and the News/Rumors is kept easier to spot anything fresh & new. Mind you, I think this would cause a problem with crickets chirping in the News/Rumors area but you get the idea. :D
I think that may be a solution that could work.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I get what you're saying, Paul, and agree with it to a point. The thing I've seen more of though, that I find equally annoying , is that whenever there is any kind of news, there are 6 or 8 threads about it immediately. It's as if there is no search option here or something. Does it really take that long to check to see if one's "news" is really "news":?

To be fair, the search function doesn't work all that well.

I've tried to search for threads and had terrible results, even if I limit it to just thread titles (which is not the default)...

When I find a funny Disney image, I'm glad that the "Strange and Disturbing Images" thread has a typo, as it's easy to find...search for Imagies. Heck, even my own trip report thread I've had trouble finding using the search box. I don't think "surf and turf" is used all that much on the forums, but...yeesh.

To be fair, this isn't the only forum that has a wonky search feature, but I can see why people don't rely on it very much.

Compound that with the fact that there are multiple threads about the same topic, and viola...there's part of the issue.

PUSH

To be fair, the search function doesn't work all that well.

I've tried to search for threads and had terrible results, even if I limit it to just thread titles (which is not the default)...

When I find a funny Disney image, I'm glad that the "Strange and Disturbing Images" thread has a typo, as it's easy to find...search for Imagies. Heck, even my own trip report thread I've had trouble finding using the search box. I don't think "surf and turf" is used all that much on the forums, but...yeesh.

To be fair, this isn't the only forum that has a wonky search feature, but I can see why people don't rely on it very much.

Compound that with the fact that there are multiple threads about the same topic, and viola...there's part of the issue.

I agree, but it's ridiculous when there are 7 different "Andy's Coming" thread within the same hour. You don't even have to use the search feature for that.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I agree, but it's ridiculous when there are 7 different "Andy's Coming" thread within the same hour. You don't even have to use the search feature for that.

I generally rely on the "live" feature...and just monitor that. Whatever comes up, comes up...whatever doesn't...I don't see.

I don't venture into "New Posts" unless I am truly bored, and I never use the main forum section screen unless I am posting a new thread and need to put it in the right category.

However, I get your point, and agree. One of the other forums I am a member of is notorious (at least from my observation) for merging threads even when the topics are merely similar, which helps (I think)...

I've seen threads merged here as well...though ops (mods...sorry, ops is an IRC term) here tend not to note that they did it...which leaves for a very confusing thread after the merge...not that it's hard to figure out what happened, but if you aren't paying attention, it can be confusing, I would imagine. Over there they do, which is nice, as at least you know what happened as a poster. (not a criticism of the mods here, btw, just an observation).

However, in a way, being overly obsessive with moderation and merging threads discourages posters, especially new or infrequent posters. And, active posters participating in the community is what keeps it thriving. I've seen IRC channels die, and forums die from overly aggressive moderation. It's a very fine line to walk. And I do not envy the mods here for the job they have.

On the IRC channels I Op (operate, not Original Poster, but moderate with @, which means operator in IRC, not @ as in Twitter or here...@ means something completely different there), on one of them we've had to let go of a lot of our more obsessive behaviors because...the channel was dying. It went from 700 active members to 200 in the past 4 years. It's disturbing, since the channel is 20 years old this year, one of the first, and traditionally one of the largest with active users, on the network. Though part of that is that IRC is a dying medium, part of it is also due to Op misbehavior (abuse of power, mostly...but it's a political IRC channel, so...neither here nor there, and not something to get too deep about)...as one of the oldest channels on that particular IRC network, it's sad to see it fade away.

Anyhow, my point is, Forum regulars who are checking the site every few hours (at worst) and every few minutes (at best, like me! <grin>) will follow along with most major thread topics, and know where to post.

Jane Doe from Hobokin who checks the forums a few times a week and just read something new on twitter she's excited about may not react the same way. Think how excited she is that she found out that if you yell "Andy's Coming!" the walkaround character might drop to the ground, and how cool that is.

Then, she comes back (a few days later) to find her precious thread is gone (been merged with another), or is filled with negative commentary (well...can't do anything about that, really)...

When she finds out about FP+, think she's gonna post again? Nope. She'll go to an even more unruly forum that starts with a "Dis", or just stick with facebook.

Anyhow, my opine. Just opine... <grin>

PUSH

I generally rely on the "live" feature...and just monitor that. Whatever comes up, comes up...whatever doesn't...I don't see.

I don't venture into "New Posts" unless I am truly bored, and I never use the main forum section screen unless I am posting a new thread and need to put it in the right category.

However, I get your point, and agree. One of the other forums I am a member of is notorious (at least from my observation) for merging threads even when the topics are merely similar, which helps (I think)...

I've seen threads merged here as well...though ops (mods...sorry, ops is an IRC term) here tend not to note that they did it...which leaves for a very confusing thread after the merge...not that it's hard to figure out what happened, but if you aren't paying attention, it can be confusing, I would imagine. Over there they do, which is nice, as at least you know what happened as a poster. (not a criticism of the mods here, btw, just an observation).

However, in a way, being overly obsessive with moderation and merging threads discourages posters, especially new or infrequent posters. And, active posters participating in the community is what keeps it thriving. I've seen IRC channels die, and forums die from overly aggressive moderation. It's a very fine line to walk. And I do not envy the mods here for the job they have.

On the IRC channels I Op (operate, not Original Poster, but moderate with @, which means operator in IRC, not @ as in Twitter or here...@ means something completely different there), on one of them we've had to let go of a lot of our more obsessive behaviors because...the channel was dying. It went from 700 active members to 200 in the past 4 years. It's disturbing, since the channel is 20 years old this year, one of the first, and traditionally one of the largest with active users, on the network. Though part of that is that IRC is a dying medium, part of it is also due to Op misbehavior (abuse of power, mostly...but it's a political IRC channel, so...neither here nor there, and not something to get too deep about)...as one of the oldest channels on that particular IRC network, it's sad to see it fade away.

Anyhow, my point is, Forum regulars who are checking the site every few hours (at worst) and every few minutes (at best, like me! <grin>) will follow along with most major thread topics, and know where to post.

Jane Doe from Hobokin who checks the forums a few times a week and just read something new on twitter she's excited about may not react the same way. Think how excited she is that she found out that if you yell "Andy's Coming!" the walkaround character might drop to the ground, and how cool that is.

Then, she comes back (a few days later) to find her precious thread is gone (been merged with another), or is filled with negative commentary (well...can't do anything about that, really)...

When she finds out about FP+, think she's gonna post again? Nope. She'll go to an even more unruly forum that starts with a "Dis", or just stick with facebook.

Anyhow, my opine. Just opine... <grin>

You, uh... kinda got a bit off topic there, didn't ya?
laugh2.gif

englanddg

One Little Spark...
You, uh... kinda got a bit off topic there, didn't ya?
laugh2.gif
Yeah, off topic regarding a thread bump, but not so much regarding the search feature / new posts...

Though, you should know me well enough (at least digitally), I do have the propensity to ramble!

PUSH

Maybe it wasn't so much you being off topic or me not following the "Tech Talk." I'm awful when it comes to technology.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom