An October PTR - It's Good to be Back

We're back! In case you forgot (which, why wouldn’t you have? It’s been a while!) I’m AJ, and my girlfriend is Alex. Here we are in the middle of going around the world, not quite three sheets yet, but it happened, from our last trip. Good to see ya!

(Hey, it’s not the best photo but we had some drunk girl take it, so deal)

Any one that can tell me which pavilion that photo was taken in wins a prize!

Having not been on this site much at all in the past few months since I didn't want to get myself upset about the fact that 1) Alex and I hadn't been to Disney in over one full year (which is truly upsetting) or 2) our WDW vacation was more than 180 days out. (Although I have been following the site's Twitter feed.) The last time we were at WDW was for Christmas/New Year's 2011-2012, December 25, 2011 - January 3, 2012. Anyone interested in that expedition can read all about it in a longer than necessary TR at this link ---> http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/christmas-new-years-and-a-birthday-10-days-of-magic.831899/

Hope you enjoy putting in the effort to get through that one; it drags, kind of like this PTR will.

Alex and I decided last year that we were going to go on a few small trips instead of one long WDW trip, but also since we were at WDW for the first three days of 2012 we could still technically say we'd been there every year since 2010. We're keeping that going strong this year. Our first trip to WDW as a couple was in October 2010, we booked it more on a whim than anything else. The one thing we both knew about WDW is that we both loved it from our younger years and hadn't been in a while so we decided to go for it without much research. We booked the first trip less than 180 days before our check-in date so we didn't really get much in terms of ADRs for that trip. I could tell you all about it, but I feel that I already have, here's a link to that TR as well ---> http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/much-delayed-trip-report-our-first-wdw-trip-as-a-couple.696439/

You can see a marked difference in our planning between the two trips, our picture taking and my writing about them. Those should keep you busy for a day.

We booked this year's trip with the Food & Wine Festival in mind because we had so much fun during it on our first trip. The only reason we didn't do it again in 2011 is because Alex really wanted to go during Christmas time, she also convinced me that we should be there for her birthday as well, which is January 2, so she really lucked out on that one since Christmas in WDW starts sometime in May, right? After booking this past January we kind of just pushed this trip to the side since we both have a lot going on, but just this past week we reached 180 days and made our ADRs. That means only one thing for me, PTR time.

The dates we settled on are October 9 - October 16, we find that flying on Wednesdays is the cheapest option (even though we're lucky enough to have the option of flying out of either JFK or Newark, because seriously who in their right mind would ever choose to fly out of LaGuardia given the other two options?). We have also flown JetBlue out of JFK and, like our last trip; we're taking the earliest flight we can see ourselves waking up for - 7:13a. That flight is good because, if it's on time, we land by 10am and get to our resort well before noon. We don't rush too much on our trips when it comes to getting to the parks early (we average 11:30a arrivals). Once we check-in, physically, it's off to the parks. If the room is ready that's great, we'll check it out, drop off our carry-ons and get going. If not than the good folk at our resort will have a few extra bags to hold.

The resort we chose is Pop Century. We had seriously debated staying at Art of Animation but after we realized it’d be more (only about $60 for the entire trip) and we saw a map of the resort we decided against that. The Little Mermaid rooms (which are the only non-suites) are all the way in the back of the resort. We’d much rather shoot for a room closer to the bus stop since we’ll be staying at a value resort this time around (even though it is Pop). We definitely will spend some time exploring the AoA though since we’ll be a bridge away, so we’re going to have to check it out. **Full disclosure: We’re hoping that a room discount comes along that will make it worth it for us to upgrade to a moderate. We aren’t willing to spend the flat rate for it since we will be spending so much at the Food & Wine Festival. If one of the xx% comes along and we can just change to a different resort (we’re aiming for Port Orleans, which of the two is something we’ll figure out if we get there).**

We’re waiting for the Halloween Party dates to be released because having not gone to this on our first trip we want to make sure to get to it this time. We were also bummed that the Christmas party doesn’t actually happen on Christmas day, oh well, some other time.

I have to say we had some serious battles about where we were eating, what day we would eat where and even our times. I think we still might be mulling some of the things over silently; I wouldn't be surprised if we end up not holding all these reservations. Some of them are definitely locks though, I won't say which, but true Disney folk will know which *cough**cough*OHANA*cough*. Without further adieu here is our list (tentative? we'll find out once the summer ends I'm sure) of ADRs:

Day 1 - Teppan Edo. We figure we’ll be able to get in a fair amount of time early in the afternoon at MK and then head over to Epcot for our meal, and with them having EMH that evening we’ll have some time afterward to wind down after an early day.

Day 2 - Yak & Yeti Restaurant (lunch). When we first made ADRs for our last trip this was one of the places we had booked and one of the first places we had decided to eat at. After talking and talking we decided in the end that we didn’t want to “waste a meal at AK,” or something along those lines. The day we reserved for AK (because let’s face it that park is a one day park, we’re in and out in about four hours) we ended up getting some QS food (check the TR, Alex’s was pretty good and mine was eh), and sitting at Dawa Bar for a good hour or two. We know that we’re going to go to AK and we figure “we may as well just get it out of the way,” a phrase I’ve been using lately much to Alex’s chagrin. Another note on this ADR is that it’s on the late side (2pm), it’s always better to give yourself plenty of time to work with on your second day, especially when you have to be up at 4am for your flight the day before

Day 3 – Mama Melrose . It’s still a toss up between this and 50’s Prime Time, we were so close to clicking confirm on an ADR for 50’s but the flatbreads on the menu put the edge in Melrose’s favor. Don’t be surprised if when the TR rolls out you read about us eating at the bar at 50’s while still keeping out ADR at Mama Melrose.

Day 4 – Big day here, we’re going for the Delicious Double. First we’ll be taking in a late breakfast at KONA where I’ve been dying to try the Tonga Toast (although I’m giving strong consideration to the Samoan, please feel free to weigh in on this to give me some help. YOU HAVE FIVE AND ONE HALF MONTHS, GO!). We haven’t been able to agree to going to breakfast on either of our previous trips yet, I think we’ve finally hit that point where we’re OK with waking up a bit earlier (AKA setting an alarm <the horror>) and going to breakfast. Truth be told, we may even try and get to MK for rope drop that day. Why not?
Second, we’re taking a late dinner at ‘OHANA! Having eaten here last time around there was no way we were going to miss this one. What better day to go ‘Ohana than the day we’re all ready eating breakfast at the Polynesian? The Poly Double: many have tried (?), all have probably followed through. We can’t wait. **Full disclosure (again, however this one may not be so fun to read): Last time we ate at ‘Ohana I enjoyed the food so much that I literally ate myself to the point of being full. So full that I ended up throwing up. Best vom of my life. I can’t wait to do it again.**

Day 5 – No ADR for this day, yet. Most likely going to just QS and F&W the day through. I do say “yet” though because we would love to get to the Wishes Dessert Party again, this night would be the night we prefer to do that. We are at the whim of the available dates for it once it opens, but we will get to it again.

Day 6 – Trail’s End. I keep telling Alex how I wanted to go back to Hoop Dee Do since we had such a great time on our first trip but we had some trouble justifying the price for that type of thing, having done it in the past. Alex loved the chicken and I loved the ribs but something about paying so much just for all you can eat food didn’t sit well. We tossed around a few other ideas and then settled on Trail’s End since, well, how different could the food be? DON’T ANSWER THAT AND RUIN IT FOR US IF IT’S NOT THE SAME!

Day 7 – Shula’s. This is our last night so we want to have a very (very, very?) nice dinner. We had actually booked a dinner here for our first trip but ended up with the DDP and it either wasn’t on the list or we didn’t want to use two credits on it so we ended up dropping this one. Last trip we went to Yachtsman for Alex’s birthday dinner which also happened to be our last night there, maybe that started some sort of steak-dinner-on-the-last-night tradition. We’ll see, but we’re looking forward to someplace different and also having a reason to stop into the Dolphin to check out a non-Disney resort.

Let me know what you think, I look forward to hearing from you all.

PolynesianPrincess

Ohana is my favorite dinner on property!! YUMMY!! Nothing like meat on a skewer while drinking out a pineapple!! :)

The Halloween party is super fun. We did it last year and are going again this fall.

LizC

Sounds like a great trip! Great ADR's and F&W Festival, nothing better in my opinion!

Shula's is a wonderful choice. I am also from the NY area (I assume you are, based on you airport options) and we obviously have great steak houses here, and Shula's is right up there. You will love it!

We went to Mama Melrose for pretty much the same reason as you, the flat bread. I did not like it and the service was HORRIBLE. I would go with 50's prime time café. But that is just me.

As far as the food and wine festival... Have you checked out disneyfoodblog.com? They have the menus and all the info you could ever want on the festival as soon as it comes out, sometimes even before it goes up on the Disney website. Also, try one of the ticket events at the festival. I have done some food and beverage tastings, some are as cheap at $10.

And 'Ohana, yum!

Have a fabulous trip!

agorna

we will be there around the same time u will be (October 12-20).. staying at POFQ :)

all your adrs sound great! made me hungry just reading them!

ArtieJim

Original Poster
We went to Mama Melrose for pretty much the same reason as you, the flat bread. I did not like it and the service was HORRIBLE. I would go with 50's prime time café. But that is just me.

Have you checked out disneyfoodblog.com?

We are from the NYC area! And thanks a lot for the tip on Mama Melrose, this is the great type of info we love getting from people on this site. I'm sure this will play into whether or not we actually keep this ADR.

As for the disneyfoodblog.com, we love it. I make sure to catch up on it at least once a week. It makes me want to be at WDW even more each time.

I'm also working on having Alex come to a tequila tasting event with me (I read about last year's on the food blog and have wanted to go since). We'll see what happens.

As these things open up and we book more we'll be sure to keep every one posted! Thanks for your tips and positive feedback every one!

LizC

We are from the NYC area! And thanks a lot for the tip on Mama Melrose, this is the great type of info we love getting from people on this site. I'm sure this will play into whether or not we actually keep this ADR.

As for the disneyfoodblog.com, we love it. I make sure to catch up on it at least once a week. It makes me want to be at WDW even more each time.

I'm also working on having Alex come to a tequila tasting event with me (I read about last year's on the food blog and have wanted to go since). We'll see what happens.

As these things open up and we book more we'll be sure to keep every one posted! Thanks for your tips and positive feedback every one!

I went to a tequila tasting last year, it was good. A bit of a commercial for the specific brand, but still fun.

Have a great trip!

Adventure

We're back! In case you forgot (which, why wouldn’t you have? It’s been a while!) I’m AJ, and my girlfriend is Alex. Here we are in the middle of going around the world, not quite three sheets yet, but it happened, from our last trip. Good to see ya!

(Hey, it’s not the best photo but we had some drunk girl take it, so deal)

Any one that can tell me which pavilion that photo was taken in wins a prize!

Having not been on this site much at all in the past few months since I didn't want to get myself upset about the fact that 1) Alex and I hadn't been to Disney in over one full year (which is truly upsetting) or 2) our WDW vacation was more than 180 days out. (Although I have been following the site's Twitter feed.) The last time we were at WDW was for Christmas/New Year's 2011-2012, December 25, 2011 - January 3, 2012. Anyone interested in that expedition can read all about it in a longer than necessary TR at this link ---> http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/christmas-new-years-and-a-birthday-10-days-of-magic.831899/

Hope you enjoy putting in the effort to get through that one; it drags, kind of like this PTR will.

Alex and I decided last year that we were going to go on a few small trips instead of one long WDW trip, but also since we were at WDW for the first three days of 2012 we could still technically said we'd been there every year since 2010. We're keeping that going strong this year. Our first trip to WDW as a couple was in October 2010, we booked it more on a whim than anything else. The one thing we both knew about WDW is that we both loved it from our younger years and hadn't been in a while so we decided to go for it without much research. We booked the first trip less than 180 days before our check-in date so we didn't really get much in terms of ADRs for that trip. I could tell you all about it, but I feel that I already have, here's a link to that TR as well ---> http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/much-delayed-trip-report-our-first-wdw-trip-as-a-couple.696439/

You can see a marked difference in our planning between the two trips, our picture taking and my writing about them. Those should keep you busy for a day.

We booked this year's trip with the Food & Wine Festival in mind because we had so much fun during it on our first trip. The only reason we didn't do it again in 2011 is because Alex really wanted to go during Christmas time, she also convinced me that we should be there for her birthday as well, which is January 2, so she really lucked out on that one since Christmas in WDW starts sometime in May, right? After booking this past January we kind of just pushed this trip to the side since we both have a lot going on, but just this past week we reached 180 days and made our ADRs. That means only one thing for me, PTR time.

The dates we settled on are October 9 - October 16, we find that flying on Wednesdays is the cheapest option (even though we're lucky enough to have the option of flying out of either JFK or Newark, because seriously who in their right mind would ever choose to fly out of LaGuardia given the other two options?). We have also flown JetBlue out of JFK and, like our last trip; we're taking the earliest flight we can see ourselves waking up for - 7:13a. That flight is good because, if it's on time, we land by 10am and get to our resort well before noon. We don't rush too much on our trips when it comes to getting to the parks early (we average 11:30a arrivals). Once we check-in, physically, it's off to the parks. If the room is ready that's great, we'll check it out, drop off our carry-ons and get going. If not than the good folk at our resort will have a few extra bags to hold.

The resort we chose is Pop Century. We had seriously debated staying at Art of Animation but after we realized it’d be more (only about $60 for the entire trip) and we saw a map of the resort we decided against that. The Little Mermaid rooms (which are the only non-suites) are all the way in the back of the resort. We’d much rather shoot for a room closer to the bus stop since we’ll be staying at a value resort this time around (even though it is Pop). We definitely will spend some time exploring the AoA though since we’ll be a bridge away, so we’re going to have to check it out. **Full disclosure: We’re hoping that a room discount comes along that will make it worth it for us to upgrade to a moderate. We aren’t willing to spend the flat rate for it since we will be spending so much at the Food & Wine Festival. If one of the xx% comes along and we can just change to a different resort (we’re aiming for Port Orleans, which of the two is something we’ll figure out if we get there).**

We’re waiting for the Halloween Party dates to be released because having not gone to this on our first trip we want to make sure to get to it this time. We were also bummed that the Christmas party doesn’t actually happen on Christmas day, oh well, some other time.

I have to say we had some serious battles about where we were eating, what day we would eat where and even our times. I think we still might be mulling some of the things over silently; I wouldn't be surprised if we end up not holding all these reservations. Some of them are definitely locks though, I won't say which, but true Disney folk will know which *cough**cough*OHANA*cough*. Without further adieu here is our list (tentative? we'll find out once the summer ends I'm sure) of ADRs:

Day 1 - Teppan Edo. We figure we’ll be able to get in a fair amount of time early in the afternoon at MK and then head over to Epcot for our meal, and with them having EMH that evening we’ll have some time afterward to wind down after an early day.

Day 2 - Yak & Yeti Restaurant (lunch). When we first made ADRs for our last trip this was one of the places we had booked and one of the first places we had decided to eat at. After talking and talking we decided in the end that we didn’t want to “waste a meal at AK,” or something along those lines. The day we reserved for AK (because let’s face it that park is a one day park, we’re in and out in about four hours) we ended up getting some QS food (check the TR, Alex’s was pretty good and mine was eh), and sitting at Dawa Bar for a good hour or two. We know that we’re going to go to AK and we figure “we may as well just get it out of the way,” a phrase I’ve been using lately much to Alex’s chagrin. Another note on this ADR is that it’s on the late side (2pm), it’s always better to give yourself plenty of time to work with on your second day, especially when you have to be up at 4am for your flight the day before

Day 3 – Mama Melrose . It’s still a toss up between this and 50’s Prime Time, we were so close to clicking confirm on an ADR for 50’s but the flatbreads on the menu put the edge in Melrose’s favor. Don’t be surprised if when the TR rolls out you read about us eating at the bar at 50’s while still keeping out ADR at Mama Melrose.

Day 4 – Big day here, we’re going for the Delicious Double. First we’ll be taking in a late breakfast at KONA where I’ve been dying to try the Tonga Toast (although I’m giving strong consideration to the Samoan, please feel free to weigh in on this to give me some help. YOU HAVE FIVE AND ONE HALF MONTHS, GO!). We haven’t been able to agree to going to breakfast on either of our previous trips yet, I think we’ve finally hit that point where we’re OK with waking up a bit earlier (AKA setting an alarm <the horror>) and going to breakfast. Truth be told, we may even try and get to MK for rope drop that day. Why not?
Second, we’re taking a late dinner at ‘OHANA! Having eaten here last time around there was no way we were going to miss this one. What better day to go ‘Ohana than the day we’re all ready eating breakfast at the Polynesian? The Poly Double: many have tried (?), all have probably followed through. We can’t wait. **Full disclosure (again, however this one may not be so fun to read): Last time we ate at ‘Ohana I enjoyed the food so much that I literally ate myself to the point of being full. So full that I ended up throwing up. Best vom of my life. I can’t wait to do it again.**

Day 5 – No ADR for this day, yet. Most likely going to just QS and F&W the day through. I do say “yet” though because we would love to get to the Wishes Dessert Party again, this night would be the night we prefer to do that. We are at the whim of the available dates for it once it opens, but we will get to it again.

Day 6 – Trail’s End. I keep telling Alex how I wanted to go back to Hoop Dee Do since we had such a great time on our first trip but we had some trouble justifying the price for that type of thing, having done it in the past. Alex loved the chicken and I loved the ribs but something about paying so much just for all you can eat food didn’t sit well. We tossed around a few other ideas and then settled on Trail’s End since, well, how different could the food be? DON’T ANSWER THAT AND RUIN IT FOR US IF IT’S NOT THE SAME!

Day 7 – Shula’s. This is our last night so we want to have a very (very, very?) nice dinner. We had actually booked a dinner here for our first trip but ended up with the DDP and it either wasn’t on the list or we didn’t want to use two credits on it so we ended up dropping this one. Last trip we went to Yachtsman for Alex’s birthday dinner which also happened to be our last night there, maybe that started some sort of steak-dinner-on-the-last-night tradition. We’ll see, but we’re looking forward to someplace different and also having a reason to stop into the Dolphin to check out a non-Disney resort.

Let me know what you think, I look forward to hearing from you all.
Hi, we have done Trail's End our last two trips for the same reason! The food is exactly the same as Hoop De Doo except I don't think they serve the cowboy beans. It is a little pricey though. Buffet style so go hungry!!!

ArtieJim

Original Poster
Hi, we have done Trail's End our last two trips for the same reason! The food is exactly the same as Hoop De Doo except I don't think they serve the cowboy beans. It is a little pricey though. Buffet style so go hungry!!!

Neither Alex or I eat beans so this is great news!

mamamouse

I'm gonna be there at the same time,i'm staying at Pop Oct8,9,10 and then switching to AOA for Oct 11,12,13 and leaving the morning of the 14th.

Rach&Eric

Mmmmm, double Poly....I can only speak for the Tonga Toast and I loved them! And Ohana is definitely a fav, just the dessert is worth going but everything is so flippin' good!

Lexi

Update to mine and AJ's (ArtieJim) upcoming October Trip:
***We just booked Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party tickets for October 10th***
Thanks to WDWMagic for posting the dates and times before Disney even updated their site!!!

ArtieJim

Original Poster
Update to mine and AJ's (ArtieJim) upcoming October Trip:
***We just booked Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party tickets for October 10th***
Thanks to WDWMagic for posting the dates and times before Disney even updated their site!!!

Wooooooooo!

ArtieJim

Original Poster
I'd also like to mention the glaring omission of Le Cellier from our ADRs this time around. If you read my last TR you know how much I loved the house burger at Le Cellier, however Alex was a bit indifferent when it came to the fillet. Despite that fact she was willing to give it another try and I would have gone by myself just for that burger if she wouldn't budge. Well, I'm sure you all know about the menu change at Le Cellier that's been in effect for a while. I can't believe that they got rid of that burger, that was the best burger I've had in WDW (I've tried a good amount of them). I'm frankly disappointed that it's gone but it gives us the chancto try some other places, which is always nice.

Lexi

**Trip update with 49 days to go!!!

We were able to book the 3D Dessert Party in Epcot during the Food and Wine Festival for October 11...I was really hoping to be able to book the Sweet Seats, aka the VIP area, however the cast member on the phone told me they were sold out...I'm not sure how much that was true considering how hard of a time I had conveying to her which event I wanted to book, even though I was quoting Disney's website...oh well we are just very excited to try something new at the festival this year.

Oh, I was also able to book the sparkling wine tasting on October 15th!!! So excited for this trip, I have never wanted summer to end so badly before!!!

Lexi

**Trip update with 43 days to go -- getting closer!!

We signed onto the Disney website last night and found out we have been given the option to try out the MagicBands and Fastpass + during our trip. I am very excited to test out this new system, ArtieJim not so much. We customized our bands and confirmed the shipping address now all we have to do it wait, something we are used to since we plan these trips so far out. Next step -- making some Fastpass + choices!!

Magic Bands.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom