American Adventure update?

epcot2004

Originally posted by wannabeBelle
Our history is just that, history. Lets not rewrite it to become more politically correct. Belle

Well said.

I don't think this is a case of rewriting history, this is just too emotional/sensitive an issue to put in a park where people are supposed to be having fun. (We are all reminded of 9/11 when we enter any of the parks when we go thru security which wasn't there prior to.)

Your passion is understandable Belle, we were all affected by the events of that day. For those of us who personally knew victims and people like your self in the city that day, its hard to get those images out of our minds. :( I believe that in time, a memorial will be appropriate.

Kwit35

Originally posted by Snow White 610
The events of 9/11 bring out strong emotions in all kinds of people, not all of them good. Some of us may feel a strong sense of patriotism at the site of that flag, others are just reminded of the pain that's left behind. It may be too controversial at this time.

I agree. This event is still to fresh in our memories. Being a volunteer firefighter, a mother (who happened to be in the air, with my daughter, between Philly and Atlanta when the other plans where hijacked), and a patriot, I just can't look at any 9/11 images without tearing up. When I go to Disney, I want to be in my "happy place". I know that American Adventure demonstrates the American Spirit, but 9/11 is just to resent to be included. The last time we were there, I just stared at that flag. It was so moving, but so sad.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Originally posted by Goofster
when they show Statue of Liberty you can see the twin towers in the background, can't you?

Just looked at my video and you are correct - it does indeed look like the WTC in the background (its a bit soft but the roof lights are the tallest lights by far...)

stitch131313

Originally posted by wannabeBelle
I still think the image of the firefighters raising the flag over the ruins of Ground Zero would be a powerful statement about the spirit that is America,similar to the original writing of the National Anthem by Francis Scott Key as he looked for the flag through the night during the fighting at Fort McHenry. Belle

I agree. I think that the image of the flag being raised over Ground Zero would be very moving.

prberk

I think that it needs to be included in the same way that WWII was included: by showing the perseverance of freedom over adversity.

Rosie would not have been a riveter at the time of WWII without the need to rise to the occasion to triumph over evil and adversity in the war. This is no different than the image that would be evoked by the raising of the flag by the firefighters, etc. It says a version of the same thing, as I see it.

To say that we should ignore it because it shouldn't have happened is to say that we should ignore WWII and Pearl Harbor and the Holocaust because they shouldn't have happened; and I don't think anyone thinks that these events should be ignored. They actually allowed us to highlight the triumph of freedom.

General Grizz

Originally posted by prberk
To say that we should ignore it because it shouldn't have happened is to say that we should ignore WWII and Pearl Harbor and the Holocaust because they shouldn't have happened; and I don't think anyone thinks that these events should be ignored. They actually allowed us to highlight the triumph of freedom.

I concur.

kevlightyear

Originally posted by LandBoatride
It is only the most important historical event in this country since WW2. Any thoughts?

You honestly think that that tragedy is the most important thing to happen to this country since the 40's? Wow.

Please. . .

Personally, there's one reason why it shouldn't be included now. That saga is far from over. It's not history yet. Also, I find it almost disturbing that people characterize our country by the adversity we face. Let's focus on the positive.

CRO-Magnum

Perhaps it would be too soon

I understand how difficult it is to balance retaining the memory of those we lost, who included friends and a fraternity brother of mine, with the pain of those who lost loved ones. I suggest it's too early; that the emotions felt by many Americans are too strong. I think it would be irresponsible to put someone in a situation where their emotion was stoked beyond their ability to impose self control and expect them to not find an outlet. We have nothing to gain by putting good people into difficult situations.

Time heals all wounds. Mourn one day per person lost.

Dayma

I think they should show the buildings, then pictures of firefightersw, police and ambulance workers,

OK dont flame me on this.....

I dont think this should be shown. The pictures of the people that died should be shown I think. I just think that sometimes we remeber the firefighters etc.....instead of the people that died on that horrible day. I would not mind seeing a quick montage of all the people that died that day becuase they are the true victims/heros.

Just my opinion.....

All of you bring up very good points about why or why not it shouldn't be in there but if i remember correctly not long after 9/11 there was a flag from ground zero being displayed in the building. That is one reason I went to see the Ameriacn Adventure during that trip and i Think that if they did add a scene from the attacks it would attract more people.

wannabeBelle

I definitely made a special trip to the American Adventure specifically to see the flag that was brought from Ground Zero. I would certainly go to see a special tribute to the set of events that is 9/11. As far as the chapter not being done yet, that is ever so true, however do we wait for history to complete itself? I dont think so. In one scene there is a clip of President Kennedy, in the next a clip of his funeral including JFK Jr. saluting as his father's coffin went by. Now when I look at this I get all teary because that sweet brave boy is also gone from us. He was alive when that montage was made, so should that section be removed? Again I dont think so. History is stagnant and ever changing all at the same time. The events of 9/11 are truly done, the far reaching effects may not ever be completed. I still think that a tribute at the end in the montage would be appropriate and beautiful. Belle

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom