American Adventure update?

LandBoatride

Original Poster
Several guests have asked if Disney plans to update the end of this attraction to mention or show 9/11 images. It is only the most important historical event in this country since WW2. Any thoughts?

Personally, with the Golden Dream song at the end, this could be extremely emotional.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
I don't think there's any plans at this time... namely, to avoid potentially offending any guests..

wannabeBelle

I kinda see where you are coming from Rob, but what about an image of the raising of the flag over Ground Zero?? I wonder if just a small snippet of that would be OK?? Whatcha think?? Belle

ImagineerAndy

No, I doubt Disney would touch the ending to add the 9/11 events, although this was and is a powerful statement to Americans, the show is designed to show the talent, diversity and promise of America, rather than the efforts of the jealous maniacs who try to destroy it, I take your point, but just feel it might tarnish the show.
However, if you look in the foyer of the show there is a charred American flag that Disney brought from the site with a picture and message.
I think when Disney finally has some money free they might update the recording to make Ben Franklin say 21st Century and also many of the animatronics need refurbsihment, fans of the show will see at the very end Ben and Mark go to shake hands, and miss. Now, they never did actually touch and this is a very difficult effect, but just recently they have been missing quite a lot!
Hope this helps.

wannabeBelle

I still think the image of the firefighters raising the flag over the ruins of Ground Zero would be a powerful statement about the spirit that is America,similar to the original writing of the National Anthem by Francis Scott Key as he looked for the flag through the night during the fighting at Fort McHenry. Belle

Sherm00

I don't think they should show much of the disaster. I think they should show the buildings, then pictures of firefightersw, police and ambulance workers, etc. maybe skip the building and put the firefighters, police etc after jim hensen, martin luther king, JFK, and walt disney, the space landing etc, somewhere in there.

1disneydood

9/11 was a slap in our face. I don't see Disney including it. Even "the raising of the flag at ground zero" is nothing to be proud of. That flag should have never needed to "be raised" for that circumstance. There shouldn't be a ground zero. IMO

wannabeBelle

Yeah I agree it shouldnt have happened...but however it did. And it doesnt matter if we choose to ignore it it will still be one of the biggest single occurances to have ever happened to this country. Should we ignore it?? Is that more disrespectful to the men and women who lost thier lives that day?? Belle

The events of 9/11 bring out strong emotions in all kinds of people, not all of them good. Some of us may feel a strong sense of patriotism at the site of that flag, others are just reminded of the pain that's left behind. It may be too controversial at this time.

netenyahoo

Maybe give it a few years and it may be more appropriate. I personally think it would be fine now, but I know others wouldn't think it is.

PaisleyMF

I suggest to skip it, is to new in our nation wounds. Maybe in ten or 15 years from now, the image of the Firefighters rasing the Flag. Remember that we stood together on this one and one of the many songs played around was "Golden Dreams"

"They have may wounded our nation but not our spirit, We as a nation, were raised from the ashes, grown as individuals and most of all as a stronger nation."

Pioneer Hall

I sort of think something belongs there. It was a day that no one in this country will forget, and will be a part of our history forever. Sometimes we don't like to remember certain parts of history, but we need to. There are the goods and the bads, and I think it would be a bad move to avoid putting it in to the showcase of the show.

wannabeBelle

Hi all, As mentioned by Snow White 610 and Netenyahoo I concede the timing may not be right for this segment. The last thing I would want to do is cause any further pain for a family or friends who may have lost someone in Ground Zero. Belle

Goofster

Well, correct my if I am wrong, but at the end of the American Adventure, when they show Statue of Liberty you can see the twin towers in the background, can't you? Last time I saw the show I thought that image was pretty powerful in itself. I say keep the Two Towers in the background, and that will be enough, definitely don't edit them out or anything, because that would kind of seem like doing exactly what the terrorists want.

And just for the record, Ben Franklin's comment "here in the 20th century" was updated so now he says "Back in the 20th century"

Spectroman2003

I think it's been enough time since the tragedy, (unfortunate that is b/c i think alot of people have forgotten) but I dont think a little something from 9/11 wouldn't be that bad.

Dr Albert Falls

First of all-- I doubt 9/11 has anything to do with Disney's failure to update this attraction in the last 10 years. It's money, plain and simple.

It would be fairly easy to insert a non-offensive representation of 9/11 in that montage. A quick 5-second image of the Twin Towers would be enough (and Disney could point to Timekeeper and the above-mentioned Statue of Liberty shot to justify it)

The problem-- I think-- is finding OTHER images to include over the last 10 years.

When AA was last updated in the early 90's, they added images of AIDS victims Ryan White and Magic Johnson. There are several shots of 1988 Olympic stars. I believe there are also a few other contemporary figures. With all due respect, except for White, I think the others have failed to "stand the test of time." They don't have the same significance as MLK, Bob Hope, and the Challenger astronauts.

What events and people best represent 1993-2004 ? Disney would probably be able to chose only 5 or 6 (to prevent the montage from going on-and-on-and-on). It would have to balance "good news" with "bad news", while avoiding any obvious political bias.

Unfortunately, 9/11 is the easiest choice.

epcot2004

I must say that I think Disney is the only place that scenes from 9/11 should not be displayed. The atmosphere just isn't right for such a horrable event. Last summer I walked through a traveling 9/11 museum at our county fair, complete with pictures, pieces of the police cars, melted computers, cell phones, etc. It was too much for me I couldn't even go through the whole thing. Maybe it's because I grew up in that area and had been to the top of the WTC and still can't believe what happened. This was (and still is) a devistating event in our country's history that I just can't see it in any theme park.

wannabeBelle

I lived through 9/11. I work about 8 minutes walking distance and we truly thought it was the end of the world as we knew it for sure. I will never forget being evacuated and walking down one of the main streets here and looking up and seeing tons of black smoke. Several people I knew or are related to worked in the Towers. Thank God almost all of them got out alive. Two firemen that I had met socially, went in with different companies and never came out. Several friends who are NYC firefighters, lost more people in that span of time than I would ever care to count. I dont think that we should ever forget what happened on that awful day. If it is powerful and affecting, well that makes it a part of American History. The only thing that MAY make this event less affecting would be time. Several generations from today, it may be more of an academic thing similar to World War II or the Great Depression. The song about how two brothers went off to the Civil War and only one came home is powerful and affecting also. Should that be removed? I dont think so. Our history is just that, history. Lets not rewrite it to become more politically correct. Belle

SIR90210

Originally posted by 1disneydood
9/11 was a slap in our face. I don't see Disney including it. Even "the raising of the flag at ground zero" is nothing to be proud of. That flag should have never needed to "be raised" for that circumstance. There shouldn't be a ground zero. IMO

Well said! I say we blame Clinton.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom