News American Adventure Refurb, New Projectors and Ending Video

jt04

The Mom is gonna like where this thread is headed...

Even the 1982 original featured celebrities in the finale. Will Rogers was a celebrity (often dabbling in social commentary) and got an entire animatronic dedicated to him. Everyone is ordinary until they do something extraordinary.

You're going to have a difficult time bleaching the American Adventure of politics, it would also defeat the point because some of our nation's greatest accomplishments AND failures (and how we attempted to overcome them) were political in nature. There are prominent scenes dedicated to politically charged arguments.

The final montage has become the divisive aspect of the show.

Smooth

How about these people
1518282888080.png

1518283041714.png

1518283256778.png

1518283376232.png

1518283693754.png

MerlinTheGoat

The final montage has become the divisive aspect of the show.
The entire show is filled with divisive issues. Pilgrims split from England to escape religious persecution. The Revolutionary war was kicked off by people vandalizing private property in protest over product pricing and representation. The debate over slavery and Civil War. The establishment of nature preserves to protect land from industrial exploitation and destruction. The treatment of Native Americans.

Slightly more recently, Will Rogers (who was originally going to be the third host representing the 20th century alongside Ben Franklin and Mark Twain for the 18th and 19th centuries) providing political commentary on the problems with war. Susan B Anthony protesting on behalf of women's equality and right to vote.

These were all issues that were incredibly divisive in their time. Some reached the point where hundreds of thousands died for their opinion. A large chunk of American Adventure is dedicated to war and conflict.

Here are a few suggestions with a new montage annually...

Winner of the national spelling bee

Randomly selected Medal of Honor recipient

National Teacher of the Year

American Nobel Prize winners

etc.
I don't really disagree. Though you would probably find the Nobel Prize to be incredibly divisive as well and personally disagree with certain people being featured. Some of those awards are highly politicized or based around scientific discoveries people disagree with. For instance, a doctor won the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine for inventing the prefrontal lobotomy.

Last edited:

jt04

The entire show is filled with divisive issues. Pilgrims split from England to escape religious persecution. The Revolutionary war was kicked off by people vandalizing private property in protest over product pricing and representation. The debate over slavery and Civil War. The establishment of nature preserves to protect land from industrial exploitation and destruction. The treatment of Native Americans.

Slightly more recently, Will Rogers (who was originally going to be the third host representing the 20th century alongside Ben Franklin and Mark Twain for the 18th and 19th centuries) providing political commentary on the problems with war. Susan B Anthony protesting on behalf of women's equality and right to vote.

These were all issues that were incredibly divisive in their time. Some reached the point where hundreds of thousands died for their opinion. A large chunk of American Adventure is dedicated to war and conflict.

I don't really disagree. Though you would probably find the Nobel Prize to be incredibly divisive as well and personally disagree with certain people being featured. Some of those awards are highly politicized or based around scientific discoveries people disagree with. For instance, a doctor won the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine for inventing the prefrontal lobotomy.

It is divisive for lack of a broader viewpoint. It is a perspective of life viewed through a straw. That makes the final montage boring too.

PS- I think Jacoby Ellsbury and the Code Talkers would be fantastic in the final montage. Thanks for inspiring the thought.

People who view life through a straw might only view Native Americans as victims. Nothing could be more harmful. Better to see the potential in all people. IMHO.

Last edited:

Tony the Tigger

Gitson Shiggles

There was me, that is Mickey, and my three droogs
Neil Degrasse Tyson, is, IMO, very smart, funny and has a wide-ranging appeal. Yes, he has said some interesting opinion pieces on twitter and they aren't always 100% correct, but in general I think he's one of the best advocates for science we have (along with Bill Nye).

Neil deGrasse Tyson’s lines in the new American Adventure:

Welcome to the most magical place on Earth! Or as the rest of us see it—an insignificant location that will eventually get swallowed by a sinkhole or reclaimed by the ocean.

Mark P.

I'm embarrassed I don't know this, but does the show run every half-hour throughout the day, or just to coincide with Voices of Liberty performances? I'm penciling in the first VoL show of the morning on Thursday with the assumption that the AA refurb's debut will be right after.

RobotWolf

That’s the original. It changed in 1993 and again in 2007. All covered here of course

Without a doubt my absolute favorite Martin video. The best part, IMO, is the detail on the "war wagon." The Alcorn book is fantastic. But it is so much easier to understand when you can see it in action. I used to think that the wagon had to back up once in the show because the centennial set seemed to be out of order. I now know that it's out of order because they wanted that set to rise a bit further back toward the screen.

Thanks, Martin, for the graphics you made to describe that process. The backstage show, to me, is just as engaging as the main show itself.

GlacierGlacier

Without a doubt my absolute favorite Martin video. The best part, IMO, is the detail on the "war wagon." The Alcorn book is fantastic. But it is so much easier to understand when you can see it in action. I used to think that the wagon had to back up once in the show because the centennial set seemed to be out of order. I now know that it's out of order because they wanted that set to rise a bit further back toward the screen.

Thanks, Martin, for the graphics you made to describe that process. The backstage show, to me, is just as engaging as the main show itself.
I took the Backstage Magic tour in November, and the one attraction we went behind the scenes at was the American Adventure. It's absolutely amazing seeing the rail system, the massive screen, the computers sitting there to control it, miscellaneous support systems, and just the sheer scale of everything. Definitely one of my favorite experiences.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
American Adventure really is amazing. There are so many moving parts to that show that need to work (more-or-less) flawlessly every 45 minutes, seven days a week, 365 days a year (minus a few for refurbs). Just watching the show, many likely do not think about all that is required to do what is done (nor the fact that it was all built in the early 80s). It really was/is an incredible accomplishment (even if so many just use the show as an opportunity to take a nap).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom