Alternatives to the dreaded pack?

Ember

So my 7 year old wants to carry his own stuff around the parks (his "grown-up" stuff aka his school id, his Disney dollars, and whatever change or rocks he finds lol). He's too young to be responsible for a wallet, but I don't really dig packs (no offense to those that do). Anyone know of any good alternatives for kids? It needs to be something he can't easily lose.

draybook

satchel_zpsb54f50e8.jpg

Upvote 0

Hot Lava

IMO, those wrist wallets hold next to nothing. I had several from when I used to run, and it was hard to jam much in there.

How about one of these (or similar):

http://www.amazon.com/CrossPaq-Forgetting-Wallet-Glasses-Pockets/dp/B00ACHD4VI/ref=pd_sim_sbs_sg_2

http://www.amazon.com/Kangatek-GO-Go-Bandolier-Sling/dp/B003MQN8BC/ref=wl_mb_wl_huc_mrai_1_dp

also pack-esque, but a little better? although I dont know if it would stay on a kid:

http://www.amazon.com/WaistPaq-Waist-Looks-Better-Unsightly/dp/B009PZVSD4/ref=wl_mb_wl_huc_mrai_4_dp

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

I'd rather lug around a trash bag with my stuff in it than wear a pack.....no offense to those of you who choose to do so.

Let it be made known, I'm not going to EVER wear a pack either... again, no offense to those of you who choose to do so. Thats why I slim my wallet down before I go ( there's another post on this topic )
images

and use my old faithful backpack. Yeah I'm a man's man. Again, no offense to those of you .....

Upvote 0

fbp

I really like this. May have to get one for me instead of my bulky backpack

I use one that is very similar at WDW/when traveling. There is a good spot for a water bottle and it's easy to swing to your front to access belongings.

It looks even better when it isn't stuffed as full as in the photo. I can't vouch that it looks better on me than on the model though.

Upvote 0

Ember

Original Poster
Remember what ever you get him you will end up carrying before the end of the day. I would try to talk him out of it and does a 7 year old really need to carry his own stuff? I'd be one of those olf fashioned moms and say No because I said so.
That's why I wanted to get him something small that can be strapped to him like the wrist wallet. I want to teach him to be responsible for his own stuff. He has been doing chores to earn his Disney dollars and he really wanted a wallet to put them in, but I know he would lose it.

Upvote 0

tmstephe

So my 7 year old wants to carry his own stuff around the parks (his "grown-up" stuff aka his school id, his Disney dollars, and whatever change or rocks he finds lol). He's too young to be responsible for a wallet, but I don't really dig packs (no offense to those that do). Anyone know of any good alternatives for kids? It needs to be something he can't easily lose.

Cargo shorts or a small backpack are what my son uses. I completely get the "important stuff" that your DS wants to carry around. Teaching responsibility is good. Figuring out how to minimize accidents/losses is even better. ;)

Upvote 0

Tink0102

That's why I wanted to get him something small that can be strapped to him like the wrist wallet. I want to teach him to be responsible for his own stuff. He has been doing chores to earn his Disney dollars and he really wanted a wallet to put them in, but I know he would lose it.
I agree. It is important to them to be able to carry their own money that they have worked to earn. Otherwise it is like saying "you are responsible enough to do chores and earn money, but too immature to carry it around yourself". It sends a mixed message in my opinion. You build up their little confidence only to cut them off at the knees. But I do agree that whatever he goes in with there is a good chance you will end up with it by the end of the day. DH and myself will both have small backpacks so I will not be sending DS in with one since I dont want to end up with two on my back. The wrist wallet or a neck wallet would both be perfect. It would allow him to feel like a big boy, but if he got tired of wearing it you could easily throw it in your backpack or whatever you are carrying.

Upvote 0

The Incredible Schmulk

It does! Thank you! I think he's really going to like the wrist one.
I think that wrist wallet is a great idea, but I'd recommend trying to find one that isn't fleece. It'll be fine at first, but it's eventually going to get warm, sweaty and irritating. Once that happens, good luck keeping it on him. I did a quick Google shopping search for "wrist wallet" and found a bunch of options, all of which seem to be reasonably priced. You shouldn't be hurting for selection.

Upvote 0

disneygirl76

Carey Poppins - Nanny and Disney Enthusiest

what about one of those napsacks that are a nylon bag with cord for the part that goes over their arms. I'm sure there is a fancy name for this type of thing but I don't know it. A lot of places give them away for free now.

Upvote 0

Tink0102

I think that wrist wallet is a great idea, but I'd recommend trying to find one that isn't fleece. It'll be fine at first, but it's eventually going to get warm, sweaty and irritating. Once that happens, good luck keeping it on him. I did a quick Google shopping search for "wrist wallet" and found a bunch of options, all of which seem to be reasonably priced. You shouldn't be hurting for selection.
I agree. The fleece one would be fine for cooler months, but if you are going in the hotter months it might be too hot.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom