All things Universal Studios Hollywood

Phroobar

Spiderman is off the table but Stranger Things is definitely doable. IDW has a crossover graphic novel with the Turtles.

TMNT_ST_Header.jpg

Phroobar

We had a great time at Universal Studios Hollywood. The entire family was there. My wife hasn't been there in ten years and couldn't believe the change and details in the rides. She's a big Harry Potter fan but the ride made her throw up. She forgot her motion sickness pills. Everything was working on the Tram including all the elements in Earthquake. Last time my daughter rode Earthquake she was ten. She cried and tried to get off the tram. This time she was nervous but made it through. Mario Kart was fun. I enjoyed it. The Simpsons was in the worst shape. The picture was burry and the room the car rises out of didn't have a retractable roof. The room with the screen was lit up until all the cars were up. Then the movie started with a weird noise coming from our car. I don't think the ride is long for this world. The new F&F coaster is starting to take shape and looks incredible. The Mario drinks were good but I think the strawberry one would have been better than the lime one. All the rides had a ten minute wait all day. Good to go before school lets out.

Can anyone tell me why the Emperor is in the Mummy ride?
PXL_20240514_193321915.jpg

We even did Ollivanders wand shop.
PXL_20240515_013859108.jpg

Rich T

Californian-in-Florida reactions to UOR:

Went to the Studios Park this morning and found that Dreamworks Land was open in public “rehearsal” mode, though everything seemed to be operating fine.
IMG_9165.jpeg

Very nice. Nothing spectacular, but it’s pretty and pleasant; has a nice airy, relaxing vibe greatly helped by lots of greenery and an upbeat, mellow music loop.
IMG_9166.jpeg

Lots for the kids to do, and enough fun details to make it a worthwhile walk-around for adults. Troller Coaster is cute. The frog choir, animatronic Pinocchio, and the interactive Puss n’ Boots game were getting a lot of fun interaction from all ages, as were the three meet n’ greet areas.

I steered clear of all things splashy and playgroundy, but if you bring kids and are looking for that type of activity, there’s lots of it—and all well-themed.

The live Indoor show was worth seeing: a very likable duo of live actor/singers interacting with costumed characters, impressive puppets, dancers and 360 degrees of environmental projections built into the great-looking theater-in-the-round practical set, all presenting scenes from Shrek, KF Panda, Trolls and Madagascar.

The show’s scale was just right: small enough to get everyone close to the performers, but large enough to dazzle and accommodate a good number of guests (but if you do plan on seeing it, get there early). Great energy from the entire cast.

I tried two of the unusual food items. The Swamp Dog was properly gross-looking and delicious, but the standout was:
IMG_9167.jpeg

The Mud Puddle Pudding. This is now—no kidding—my favorite Theme Park Dessert Of All Time. Wow. I’m not a foodie or a food reviewer, but this is a reason to go to Dreamworks Land all by itself. 😃

So, overall, DW Land is a nice upgrade for this area, and another step toward “fixing” and beautifying this park.

Last edited:

Disney Analyst

Anyone have Universal food recommendations? I already know I enjoy The Three Broomsticks from my Orlando days, but unsure what else is good or worth eating for lunch or dinner? Snacks?

I have early entry for Mario, but frankly I’ve heard horror stories for Toadstool Cafe, waiting 30-60 minutes after your time slot comes up, to order and eat… unsure if that sounds worth it?

Phroobar

Anyone have Universal food recommendations? I already know I enjoy The Three Broomsticks from my Orlando days, but unsure what else is good or worth eating for lunch or dinner? Snacks?

I have early entry for Mario, but frankly I’ve heard horror stories for Toadstool Cafe, waiting 30-60 minutes after your time slot comes up, to order and eat… unsure if that sounds worth it?
I can't think of any food offerings that are amazing at USH. I usually eat at Pinks in City Walk.

Phroobar

yeah USH food is pretty meh. USH as a whole is pretty meh imo, but hopefully the new coaster will bump it up a bit
Depends on the IPs they have. My kids love Transformers, Harry Potter, Jurassic Park and classic Universal Monsters. They think it is great. They think Disneyland is pretty meh since they don't like Princesses and little kid shows.

D.Silentu

I'll add another demerit to an otherwise great attraction because, bafflingly, I've never seen a short line for it. It's an omnimover with a nicely sized queue and yet every visit people are always spilling out the front door into hastily made switchbacks.

mickEblu

Not one recommendation for inside the park 😭 haha.

Well wish us luck then 😝

I'd do Three Broomsticks if you haven't eaten there before. Really nicely themed. The food isn't amazing but it's better than most everything else at USH. I thought the garlic citrus chicken at Jurassic cafe with moros (black beans n rice) was pretty good. I haven't liked anything I've eaten at Toadstool cafe and I just don't think it's worth the hassle. Theming is cool but I'd rather eat at 3 Broomsticks.

What I'd really do though is save your stomach and after the park closes go get yourself some Hawaiian BBQ right down the street at my favorite Hawaiian spot Ohana. Super clean spot ( a little on the pricey side) but really tasty and you get a decent amount. BBQ ribs plate or my favorite the dark meat (white meat is good too) BBQ chicken plate for me. They have my favorite Mac Salad and I get a nice big side of it in addition to the little side that comes with the plate. And the steamed rice its served with is almost sushi quality. Nice little salad with a great dressing also comes with it. They probably have best Teriyaki sauce I've ever had anywhere. I think it's made in house. Not that thick syrupy stuff. My wife and I like it more than most of the Hawaiian plate lunch food we had in Maui or Kauai.

Last edited:

Disney Analyst

I'd do Three Broomsticks if you haven't eaten there before. Really nicely themed. The food isn't amazing but it's better than most everything else at USH. I thought the garlic citrus chicken at Jurassic cafe with moros (black beans n rice) was pretty good. I haven't liked anything I've eaten at Toadstool cafe and I just don't think it's worth the hassle. Theming is cool but I'd rather eat at 3 Broomsticks.

What I'd really do though is save your stomach and after the park closes go get yourself some Hawaiian BBQ right down the street at my favorite Hawaiian spot Ohana. Super clean spot ( a little on the pricey side) but really tasty and you get a decent amount. BBQ ribs plate or my favorite the dark meat (white meat is good too) BBQ chicken plate for me. They have my favorite Mac Salad and I get a nice big side of it in addition to the little side that comes with the plate. And the steamed rice its served with is almost sushi quality. Nice little salad with a great dressing also comes with it. They probably have best Teriyaki sauce I've ever had anywhere. I think it's made in house. Not that thick syrupy stuff. My wife and I liked it more than most of the Hawaiian plate lunch food we had in Maui or Kauai.

Ooh! Noted. Maybe we will hit up the Hawaiian BBQ for our arrival day!

I loved Three Broomsticks from my Orlando days, and it’s a must do for my partner who’s never been. So that’s certainly on the list!

mickEblu

Ooh! Noted. Maybe we will hit up the Hawaiian BBQ for our arrival day!

I loved Three Broomsticks from my Orlando days, and it’s a must do for my partner who’s never been. So that’s certainly on the list!

Oh I forgot, you're staying out there? Then yes you have to try it! I talk a lot about restaurants being inconsistent but this is one place we have been going to for over 10 years and it's great every single time. It's a small casual spot with just a few tables. Celebrities autographed pictures all over the wall. I guess a lot of people from the nearby studios eat there. The owner is an All Business, older grumpy Korean guy and really doesn't like when you ask for too much sauce. But when you eat there they have their Teriyaki sauce bottle on the table I believe.

Disney Analyst

Oh I forgot, you're staying out there? Then yes you have to try it! I talk a lot about restaurants being inconsistent but this is one place we have been going to for over 10 years and it's great every single time. It's a small casual spot with just a few tables. Celebrities autographed pictures all over the wall. I guess a lot of people from the nearby studios eat there. The owner is an All Business, older grumpy Korean guy and really doesn't like when you ask for too much sauce. But when you eat there they have their Teriyaki sauce bottle on the table I believe.

Thank you! Yep staying right there for two nights!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom