All things Knotts Berry Farm

PiratesMansion

Turns out Disneyland isn't the only theme park to just hang up on people who call in to ask a question! Just wanted to know if some of the Spooky Farm entertainment was still performing after they weren't on the app for today and tomorrow, and "we're sorry that we're unable to take your call because of extremely high call volume," and then just hung up.

Oh well, it's probably better for me to rest up a bit more for tonight anyway.

Confused Harry Potter GIF

Emmanuel

Turns out Disneyland isn't the only theme park to just hang up on people who call in to ask a question! Just wanted to know if some of the Spooky Farm entertainment was still performing after they weren't on the app for today and tomorrow, and "we're sorry that we're unable to take your call because of extremely high call volume," and then just hung up.

Oh well, it's probably better for me to rest up a bit more for tonight anyway.

Confused Harry Potter GIF

Some of the Spooky Farm entertainment is only on Saturdays and Sundays and Halloween from the looks of it including the Costume Cavalcade at the Mine Stage.

PiratesMansion

Some of the Spooky Farm entertainment is only on Saturdays and Sundays and Halloween from the looks of it including the Costume Cavalcade at the Mine Stage.
Now that I'm here, it'd be more accurate to say that basically anything more complicated than handing out candy to the kids is Saturday-Sunday only. Pre-covid they had a full entertainment lineup going every day of the week during the day.

At the Boofet now. I've always found the food to be kind of meh, but eating it has become much more entertaining by virtue of the scarecrows being ON IT during the meal. In the past they always struck me as being kind of passive; now they're aggressively going after guests who aren't eating enough food and really leaning into the antics. It's hilarious.

Scareactor 1: "Attention everyone! It's _______'s birthday! So at the count of three, I want everyone to yell "NOBODY CARES THAT IT'S YOUR BIRTHDAY!!!"
Scareactor 2: "Yeah, I ain't singing for you, this ain't Friday's!"

PiratesMansion

Berry/Scary Farm thoughts:
-Got to ride in the front of the Galloping Goose before the park closed for Scary Farm, and that was definitely an experience. Like a school bus on rails, but with super rudimentary controls.
-My ankle was really acting up on Day 1, so I focused primarily on shows, although I was also able to do every maze at least once. It was easier than I thought it was going to be to get into some of the smaller venues, but I imagine Thurs. vs. Saturday would be a huge difference in this regard. It was noticeably more crowded on Friday vs. Thursday.
-Hanging: As with the previous incarnations of the show I've seen (2018 & 19), I like the idea of The Hanging much better than the reality/execution. Happy that those who loved it get to enjoy a Scary Farm institution, but for my own tastes, it might have been better if it had stayed dead.
-Dr. Cleaver-I loved this, actually. Hilarous hammy acting done so well that it truly felt longer than its 15 minute running time, in a good way.
-50th Musical: I can't tell if the problem are the jokes that were written or the MC himself, but as has been said by others before me, the musical numbers work very well; it's just a slog to get to them and through all the "comedy bits." Perhaps others more familiar with the former hosts/marquees of Scary Farm than I am would disagree, but it really felt more like mockery than tribute in tone. The humor was a bit crude for my tastes as well. Yes, it's a show for adults and is billed as such, but if ALL you tell are dirty jokes, there's a point for me where it starts to feel a little lazy. Clearly in the minority though because many in the audience ate it up. The lady in front of me whistled so loudly that I thought I was going to go deaf. Go for the musical numbers, bring airpods for the talky bits.
-Carneval du Grotesque: decent enough show with talented performers. Some crazy stunts, especially near the end.

In terms of new-to-me mazes, I loved Chilling Chambers (the MVP of the event), Cinema Slasher (#2 or 3), and Mesmer, but felt that Room 13, Grimoire, and Bloodline were a little muddled. Additionally, Room 13 was clearly built in the back of the arcade, and so light from that bled into the maze in a way that I found incredibly distracting. Origins is still a heck of a maze that I'm not sure they'll be able to ever fully top to my satisfaction, everything about it continues to work so perfectly.

The Calico Mine Ride overlay was new to me, and cute. Log Flume overlay was good too, I just really hate the new logs Knott's has on the ride now. I was struggling to get in the newer, smaller logs (which I have gotten into succesfully in the past) when they said that I if I was willing to wait they could get a 'lumberjack' (read: fat person) log. This was much more comfortable, but they didn't bother loading anyone else in the boat with me, so I just ended up feeling really embarassed, which is really nonsensical because they had logs that were perfectly fine and insisted on swapping them out to logs that were less accommodating. I do wish parks would stop fixing things that aren't broken and/or to be less accommodating than they were before.

Gauntlet didn't really work in practice for me. Very few set pieces, very few actors. They would have been better off just keeping it The Hollow, especially since Chilling Chambers isn't really in that area at all.

Atmosphere was great, especially Ghost Town. That said, the event has sort of a Disneyland problem in that very little of value is on the right side of the park. So many of the houses, shows, and things of value are on the left side of the park that it just ends up feeling super unbalanced.

It's still a great event, I just wish that more of the new mazes worked better for me.

Last edited:

Phroobar

Original Poster
I agree with the musical. The first you watch it, you eat it up. Second time, you ignore the talk to get to the dance numbers. They were doing an Elvira show without Elvira and it doesn't quite work.

Camp Snoopy is hard because they can't open the rides but there isn't room for mazes. A haunted forest could be cool but it would need to work in the day time. Maybe a Peanuts version of Camp Crystal Lake where Snoopy plays Jason?

Last day of Haunt is Halloween. After that the park will be dead until Thanksgiving week. It's the perfect time to go with low crowds.

thequeuelinelectures

Outside of Scary Farm, worth discussing the horrible string of luck with coasters here

The Montezooma Forbidden Fortress project seems totally dead (at least under the original contractor). Will it come back as planned under a different contractor or be replaced by a totally new idea? At this point I don't think a coaster will be running in this spot until 2025

Xcelerator hasn't opened since pre Covid. I know this one seems to be close-ish to reopening but we've heard that before. How reliable will it really be and is Knott's committed enough to this ride to eventually swap the hydraulic launch for LSM's? This probably depends on the success of Top Thrill 2

What's happening in Camp Snoopy? How was that not announced yet if that is indeed the 2024 project? I really love Knott's and hope they can get this moving in the right direction again with some needed additions over the next few years

Phroobar

Original Poster
Outside of Scary Farm, worth discussing the horrible string of luck with coasters here

The Montezooma Forbidden Fortress project seems totally dead (at least under the original contractor). Will it come back as planned under a different contractor or be replaced by a totally new idea? At this point I don't think a coaster will be running in this spot until 2025

Xcelerator hasn't opened since pre Covid. I know this one seems to be close-ish to reopening but we've heard that before. How reliable will it really be and is Knott's committed enough to this ride to eventually swap the hydraulic launch for LSM's? This probably depends on the success of Top Thrill 2

What's happening in Camp Snoopy? How was that not announced yet if that is indeed the 2024 project? I really love Knott's and hope they can get this moving in the right direction again with some needed additions over the next few years
Well Xcelerator is in testing right now.

Where did you hear that Montezooma project is dead?

thequeuelinelectures

Well Xcelerator is in testing right now.

Where did you hear that Montezooma project is dead?

As far as Xcelerator, yes it is testing but the original plan was to have it up for this summer, and then scary farm which obviously both didn't happen. So yeah I'm crossing my fingers it's open for christmas but it's just been problematic

For Monty, Screamscape has been the main one reporting everything but their info seems to be lining up and confirmed by insiders elsewhere on other boards. The original contractor hired, Kumbak, way underestimated the costs associated with the project and now the coaster is dismantled and in limbo. They could hire someone else to finish the job but that Kumbak already made a mess so it's going to be expensive to clean it up. I'd prefer they still finish it as originally designed with the same layout but more theming and randomized launches but we shall see if they decide that's worth the trouble anymore vs (wild speculation) removing it for something more wow like a vekoma super boomerang

Emmanuel

Now is the perfect time for visiting Knotts. The crowds are low until Thanksgiving break but there isn't much in live entertainment. Krazy Kurt might be performing.

Checked the app. Krazy Kirk might be taking a break until Merry Farm. I assume its because the Wagon Camp needs to be cleared of The Hanging props. So basically its just characters and rides that everyone will be having at Knotts for the next 16 days

Nirya

Excuse my ignorance, but would this not be a good thing?

Depends on the corporate structure following the merger, but generally these large types of theme park acquisitions have not been good for consumers. Given that Six Flags was the one who made a buyout attempt of Cedar Fair in the past, I would assume Six Flags would be retaining most of its senior staff, which means you're likely to see a drop in quality at the Cedar parks to more of a Six Flags level. And it would mean the combined company would be managing over 40 parks combined, which means you'll likely see much less investment at the non-big parks if not some outright closures like Six Flags did with Astroworld.

The fact that this new company would own two parks in the LA area is an interesting situation in and of itself, especially because both parks are historically important to both companies (Magic Mountain as THE coaster park for Six Flags nationally and Knotts as the only year-round park in the Cedar Fair portfolio) but instead of competing against each other from different companies, they would essentially be cannibalizing attendance from each other and the new company would have to purposefully differentiate the two parks, which will cost extra development money when the usual go-to for these companies is to develop similar ideas for multiple parks.

It's probably not a good thing overall, but the fact that this keeps getting reported and not happening means everyone is likely in wait-and-see mode.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom