Alamo car hire.

Washy777

Original Poster
We have booked a 2 week stay at Regal Oaks with Thomson, I have just realised that we only have an economy car for 2 adults and 2 teenagers. (4 cases plus hand luggage). I have tried upgrading with the travel agent but the costs to upgrade is £450. I have also contacted Alamo direct and they are not able to complete this until arrival.

So my question is what sort of price should I budget for to upgrade to a SUV from Economy car? And is this always possible?

Andy_0410

It will depend on what is available when you land
Assume you are coming from the uk if flying with Thomson? You may find that the car is ok size wise though maybe a squeeze with 4 cases to and from the airport but the American cars are much bigger
They will prob offer you some kind of upgrade when you land still just might not be a SUV

Washy777

Original Poster
With the price to upgrade, as we have an economy car in the package will Alamo just charge the difference between this car (in our package) and our preferred choice to upgrade? Or will they treat it as a completely new booking.

Yes we are flying from UK.

Andy_0410

It will just be the difference but it is expensive booking it once there
I have always tried to do it in advance
Might be worth enquiring with them now before you go and then if more than Thomson you can book the upgrade with them now

dreamfinder

Can't speak for any package booking you have, but the car rental agencies I've dealt with here in the US almost always offer you the ability to upgrade to a larger car. At the same time they will try to convince you to rent a GPS, EZPass, and pre-pay for a tank of gasoline.

CAPTAIN HOOK

I have tried upgrading with the travel agent but the costs to upgrade is £450.
Firstly - what price doe the brochure / website quote the upgrade ? Is it more or less than the £450 ?
Secondly, Is the £450 for the full 14 days, with the additional insurance policies ?
My advice would be go direct to Thomson, quoting your booking reference and see what price they come in at

I have also contacted Alamo direct and they are not able to complete this until arrival.
Alamo UK or US ?
Either way, your contract is through Thomson via the travel agent using a rental car from Alamo. You do not have a contract with Alamo so any rental agreement you try and make with Alamo will be based on full payment being required (not the balance). You would only be able to change your car with Alamo (paying an add on) on arrival in Orlando.

Rob562

Can't speak for any package booking you have, but the car rental agencies I've dealt with here in the US almost always offer you the ability to upgrade to a larger car. At the same time they will try to convince you to rent a GPS, EZPass, and pre-pay for a tank of gasoline.

Also, if you're looking to upgrade the size of your car, definitely feel free to haggle with the counter agent. Don't just accept the first number they offer you. At many rental companies the counter staff have goals given by management of how many upgrades they should try to get (sometimes with bonuses or other incentives attached). The actual amount of the extra revenue doesn't matter just the fact that they were able to upsell to another class of vehicle.

So you might be able to negotiate a very nice upgrade for not much money.

-Rob

Washy777

Original Poster
Firstly - what price doe the brochure / website quote the upgrade ? Is it more or less than the £450 ?
Secondly, Is the £450 for the full 14 days, with the additional insurance policies ?
My advice would be go direct to Thomson, quoting your booking reference and see what price they come in at

Alamo UK or US ?
Either way, your contract is through Thomson via the travel agent using a rental car from Alamo. You do not have a contract with Alamo so any rental agreement you try and make with Alamo will be based on full payment being required (not the balance). You would only be able to change your car with Alamo (paying an add on) on arrival in Orlando.

The book difference in price is around £20 per day. The upgrade quote included extra drivers and top insurance, do not require additional drivers or top insurance as never taken out before.

I think I will sit tight and attempt to upgrade on arrival and defiantly haggle on price, or it will be a very compact drive from Sanford to Kissimmee 192.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom