Aladdin: A Musical Spectacular

Would this show make a good replacement for Beauty and the Beast?

• No, Beauty and the Beast is still great. They should keep it!

Votes: 17 14.2%
  • No.

Votes: 26 21.7%
  • Yes!

Votes: 63 52.5%
  • I don't know.

Votes: 14 11.7%

• Total voters

Brer Panther

I just hope in the new show, the actors are allowed to throw in the occasional ad-lib. I mean, I can see how Anna making a joke about selfie sticks might be considered a bit out-of-place (the Genie is magic, he has an excuse), but they could include a few original jokes that weren't in the original movie that don't feature pop culture references.

thomas998

If they can cast one to LIVE ON A BOAT year round for years at a time... I think they can pull off hiring someone to live in Orlando...
I'm sure they can find more genies but they are going to be more difficult to find than a guy that fits in the Beast costume... my point wasn't that it would not be possible, just that it would be more difficult and an average or bad genie impacts the show. I've seen it with a good genie and a mediocre one and the difference was pretty dramatic.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Original Poster
With Beast you don't have the problem with having to find someone with the comic timing you just get some people to fill the costumes and it works...

Aladdin works JUST as well as Beauty and the Beast does as a straight performance.. So an okay-genie actually, in my opinion, just brings the show down to Beauty and the Beast quality.

WondersOfLife

Original Poster
I just hope in the new show, the actors are allowed to throw in the occasional ad-lib. I mean, I can see how Anna making a joke about selfie sticks might be considered a bit out-of-place (the Genie is magic, he has an excuse), but they could include a few original jokes that weren't in the original movie that don't feature pop culture references.

Olaf would probably be the best character to make this work and keep the show nice and fresh.

thomas998

Aladdin works JUST as well as Beauty and the Beast does as a straight performance.. So an okay-genie actually, in my opinion, just brings the show down to Beauty and the Beast quality.
The more I think about the two shows the more I'm inclined to view Beast as a musical and Aladdin as a comedy with music... When you really think about it they are two completely different animals that will likely have two different fans, and while some might be fans of both you'll probably find some that like one vs the other simply because of their preference in entertainment.

WondersOfLife

Original Poster
The more I think about the two shows the more I'm inclined to view Beast as a musical and Aladdin as a comedy with music... When you really think about it they are two completely different animals that will likely have two different fans, and while some might be fans of both you'll probably find some that like one vs the other simply because of their preference in entertainment.

Well, all I'm saying is there does not seem to be any huge fan base for Beauty and the Beast at HS the same way Disneyland* has a fan base for Aladdin. They tried to replace Aladdin about 6 years ago and fans raged, giving the show another 6 year run. If you look at the announcement page for Aladdin's closure now, fans are STILL very upset with Disney.

If Beauty and the Beast closed at HS, I'm pretty sure there would hardly be anyone sticking up for it the same way people did for Aladdin. However, if it was Festival of the Lion King, it would be a different situation. As the popularity of that show is equivalent to the popularity of Aladdin at Disneyland.

Cmdr_Crimson

If Beauty and the Beast closed at HS, I'm pretty sure there would hardly be anyone sticking up for it the same way people did for Aladdin..

Well, honestly BaTB is really looking more of a Disney Live show. If they could have utilized an abridged Broadway version and getting rid of the Mascot suits and using the outfits they use of the Musical...It would probably get a big following..

Basically what I mean is...
Make This....
latest

Look much more like this.....
beautybeast-show-page.jpg

brb1006

Well, honestly BaTB is really looking more of a Disney Live show. If they could have utilized an abridged Broadway version and getting rid of the Mascot suits and using the outfits they use of the Musical...It would probably get a big following..

Basically what I mean is...
Make This....
latest

Look much more like this.....
beautybeast-show-page.jpg
The suits looks so awkward at the HS show compared to the browdway version.

thomas998

Well, all I'm saying is there does not seem to be any huge fan base for Beauty and the Beast at HS the same way Disneyland* has a fan base for Aladdin. They tried to replace Aladdin about 6 years ago and fans raged, giving the show another 6 year run. If you look at the announcement page for Aladdin's closure now, fans are STILL very upset with Disney.

If Beauty and the Beast closed at HS, I'm pretty sure there would hardly be anyone sticking up for it the same way people did for Aladdin. However, if it was Festival of the Lion King, it would be a different situation. As the popularity of that show is equivalent to the popularity of Aladdin at Disneyland.
I don't think you have the fan base at WDW for anything compared to DL and that is simply because DL is foremost a local park.

WondersOfLife

Original Poster
I don't think you have the fan base at WDW for anything compared to DL and that is simply because DL is foremost a local park.
You must have decided to ignore my comment for Festival of the Lion King. I guarantee if that show were to go away, there would be a huge fan-based complaint problem going on at WDW. It's probably MORE popular than Aladdin. Which is why it was re-located instead of just closed with the rest of the land.

The same could be said for attractions like The Great Movie Ride, Spaceship Earth, Mount Everest, ect. Disneyland may have more attractions with fan support, but that doesn't mean that WDW doesn't have a few that have the exact same, if not, more.. Fan support..

.....And those huge fan bases are not going to try to keep Beauty and the Beast open if there is something new coming in. Aladdin at Disneyland has a fan base that actually wants to keep the show from being replaced. Much like how Lion King and the others I mentioned would be really hard to get rid of because of their huge popularity.

thomas998

You must have decided to ignore my comment for Festival of the Lion King. I guarantee if that show were to go away, there would be a huge fan-based complaint problem going on at WDW. It's probably MORE popular than Aladdin. Which is why it was re-located instead of just closed with the rest of the land.

The same could be said for attractions like The Great Movie Ride, Spaceship Earth, Mount Everest, ect. Disneyland may have more attractions with fan support, but that doesn't mean that WDW doesn't have a few that have the exact same, if not, more.. Fan support..

.....And those huge fan bases are not going to try to keep Beauty and the Beast open if there is something new coming in. Aladdin at Disneyland has a fan base that actually wants to keep the show from being replaced. Much like how Lion King and the others I mentioned would be really hard to get rid of because of their huge popularity.

You missed my point. Yes you have a local fan base for both parks. But DL is a local park that happens to get some out of towners, WDW is a park that was designed from the start to attract out of towners that happens to get some locals. Given that distinction between the two, they will always give more to the local fans at DL than they will at WDW because at DL the locals are the bread and butter, the out of towners are just icing on the cake, but those roles are reversed at WDW.

WondersOfLife

Original Poster
You missed my point. Yes you have a local fan base for both parks. But DL is a local park that happens to get some out of towners, WDW is a park that was designed from the start to attract out of towners that happens to get some locals. Given that distinction between the two, they will always give more to the local fans at DL than they will at WDW because at DL the locals are the bread and butter, the out of towners are just icing on the cake, but those roles are reversed at WDW.

Your point is clear. You've missed MY point. And I've lost the patience. -_- Done here.

WondersOfLife

Original Poster
So I just saw Matilda - The Musical on its broadway tour at The Peace Center... And one of the actors played the part of Aladdin in Aladdin: A Musical Spectacular at Disneyland! Isn't that amazing? Working you way up from a Disneyland theme park show to a broadway tour??

There was another Broadway show I saw in New York with an actor who played Marlin in Finding Nemo - The Musical at Animal Kingdom.

Fascinating.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom