AKL - which rooms/ area are best?

Tink-erbell!

Hi all,

In less than 2 weeks (not that I'm counting down or anything :sohappy:) we are staying at AKL for the first time! We have booked a standard room (from UK agent) - and I'm praying that I won't be overlooking a car park - but hey, if that's what we get then it still won't spoil the magic - I just feel really lucky to be staying there at all!

Now for my question - what room, or area of the hotel would you recommend requesting? We are a couple looking for a chilled trip, and also I have a knee injury (I know that there is a load of walking in the parks and managed it last year by coming back to the hotel to rest half way through the day) - I am not very good going upstairs with my knee (I assume there are elevators?) - but also don't want to be walking miles for the pool/lobby? I had a look at a hotel map online but as it's meant to be so big, I'm really not making head or tail of it?:hammer:

Hope someone can help! Thanks!

CAPTAIN HOOK

At AKL a standard room will probably give you a perfect view of the car park. Other rooms are pool views, and of course, the Savanna views overlooking the animal enclosures.

We stayed there this last Christmas - we paid for a Savanna view and were fortunate to be no more than a couple of minutes walk from the main lobby / bar and Boma. The pool and quick service food court were a bit further away beyond the lobby area. The bus stops are probably 100yds from the reception area.

If I remember correctly AKL is on five levels - the top two are concierge. All levels are accessable by lifts.

Enjoy it - we did

Upvote 0

mickey7879

If you want to put a request in for medical reasons or personal, do so asap. The longer you wait, the less chance of you getting it. You may just ask to be close to the elevator due to your knee. I'd think that would be close to the main things there. Just saying, never stayed there myself. This is the way it's been in other places we've stayed.

Upvote 0

Tink-erbell!

Original Poster
If you want to put a request in for medical reasons or personal, do so asap. The longer you wait, the less chance of you getting it. You may just ask to be close to the elevator due to your knee. I'd think that would be close to the main things there. Just saying, never stayed there myself. This is the way it's been in other places we've stayed.

Thanks for the tip - I will do that tomorrow - also, I wonder if I ring if they will have what sort of view we have? Mmm? It's fine - I've always liked cars! :lol: - not got the spare cash for an upgrade so that's a non runner - still exited though!:sohappy:

Upvote 0

jonnyc

We have booked a standard room (from UK agent) - and I'm praying that I won't be overlooking a car park - but hey, if that's what we get then it still won't spoil the magic - I just feel really lucky to be staying there at all!

We went Standard on our first trip, and we did end up overlooking the carpark and have gone for savanna view rooms since. If the rooms that overlook the pool are also standard rooms I would request one of them in order to keep the wonderful AKL atmosphere in when you look out your balcony!

Upvote 0

Philo

I have a gut feeling that if you have not asked / paid for a savannah view room or a pool room, you will get a car park view. That said, there are plenty of places to see the savannah from outside your room. If you can afford it, I highly recommend seeing if you can upgrade to a savannah view room - most views are good.

Regarding placement - the halls of AKL are long. Before my first stay I laughed this off - how long can they be right? Well, very long. The first room we were given was right in the far corner and it was a real trek (I was 24 and reasonably fit!). Fortunately we were moved because of booking errors.

The moral is, if your going to have a hard time walking up and down the corridors, call ASAP and let them know.

Don't panic about the view, you will have a great time whatever!

Upvote 0

corey154

we had a parking lot view but the room was great b/c i had requested the ground floor (which is actually 3rd floor, but it's the lobby floor) and it was right there when you walked in the lobby our room was to the hallway on the right and it was perfect. close to the entrace, right around the corner from the elevators, and close to the giftshop which also offered drinks and snacks so you didn't have to go to the quick service counter that's all the way by the pool. try to get the rooms that are in sections 3006-3016 or 3018-3032. Having a one year old, it made things easier for us!

Upvote 0

jjgoo

The first time we stayed at AKL we had a standard room on the Ostrich trail. We had a request for a room close to the lobby for walking reasons and it was perfectly close. Make sure that you have it noted on your reservation. We did overlook the car park, but it was mostly quiet and a very nice atmosphere. We were able to see so many animals and enjoy the resort that it did not bother us not to have a savanah view.

When we stayed in April we also booked a standard room. This time when we got there we asked to upgrade to a savanah room (which we intended to pay for) the CM said that there were none available but that she would try to get us a nice room. We were plesantly surprised when we got to our room that we had a Savanah room. It was at the end of a trail and nice and private and quiet. It was a lot of walking to get there and to the pool and everything.

So I would suggest if you have problems walking long distances that you make it a priority to get a room close to the lobby. Basically it is really nice to have a savanah view, but not essential to enjoy yourself at the resort.

Have fun!

Upvote 0

sueuk

The first time we stayed we had a fab Arusha Savanna view room (Kudu trail). It was only 3 doors away from the lobby, the view and easy access were amazing - 2 great weeks. The next time, we requested the Arusha savanna again and got the very last room on the external corner - poor, but we were only there for part of our holiday or I would have requested a change - and you can't be lucky every time! :)

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom