AKL vs SSR - which one would you choose

Nia

Original Poster
We are planning to visit in October and both are similar cost. AKL is 35 a night extra.Which one would you choose and why?

Bairstow

I've stayed at both, and they're very different resorts, but Animal Kingdom wins for me because of its grander, more exotic themeing, animal viewing opportunities, and having the best restaurants of any resort.

Saratoga is a very pretty resort, but the themeing and architecture is somewhat pedestrian compared to some of Disney's other offerings. It tends to be a very quiet resort and has a good, centrally-placed location with walking access to downtown Disney, and fairly good bus service to the parks, especially compared to Animal Kingdom which is tucked away in the southwest corner of property.

Saratoga has better amenities for families, like activity rooms, long walking/biking trails, and close parking access to each guest building. Because it was built as a DVC resort, Saratoga will best be utilized by larger families spending a week or more at the resort and driving their own car. If none of those apply to you, go for the more unique experience at AKL.

Much-Pixie-Dust

I have never been to Saratoga but my family love AKL! We love all of the cultural offerings and animal activities. We like that it's remote from most of the rest of Disney because it gives us a break from the parks and people. We love the smells of the restaurants.

Big Hair

Animal Kingdom lodges with out a doubt. Saratoga is by far the worst Disney resort. Many reasons but suffice to say I am a DVC member, Saratoga is my base home resort, and it is horrid.

Definitely Animal Kingdom Lodge over SSR!

The resort is much prettier, the room furnishings are nicer, and the theming is better. I also prefer the dining options at AKL!

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
Love both but I would choose AKL/Kidani (prefer Kidani over Jambo but both are great). Saratoga is beautiful but just not as themed. But we do enjoy both for different reasons. ;)

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
Animal Kingdom lodges with out a doubt. Saratoga is by far the worst Disney resort. Many reasons but suffice to say I am a DVC member, Saratoga is my base home resort, and it is horrid.

I am a DVC member too and have to disagree that Saratoga is horrid! It's a very nice resort just not as themed as others. We own at Kidani and love it but still enjoy Saratoga too. ;)

Nia

Original Poster
I am a DVC member too and have to disagree that Saratoga is horrid! It's a very nice resort just not as themed as others. We own at Kidani and love it but still enjoy Saratoga too. ;)

We stayed at SSR and really enjoyed it. It was lovely to be able to walk to Disney springs, very calm & green. Staff was lovely, so was the food court

But we were able to stay at The Springs without paying extra. I am worried they could allocate us room far from everything!

BigRedDad

I have stayed at both. AKL is by far much better than SSR. Don't get me wrong though, SSR was an actual surprise at how enjoyable it was. However, the smells in Jambo, the animals, the pool, Boma, the stories, and bead activities (if that still exists). Not too many places you can go to in the US and actually live on a Savannah for a couple nights.

Jess G

I have stayed at both. AKL is by far much better than SSR. Don't get me wrong though, SSR was an actual surprise at how enjoyable it was. However, the smells in Jambo, the animals, the pool, Boma, the stories, and bead activities (if that still exists). Not too many places you can go to in the US and actually live on a Savannah for a couple nights.

I will be staying 1 night AKL and 3 nights SSR in a couple weeks and I am really hoping that SSR "proves me wrong" I read often that people are pleasantly surprised by it

BigRedDad

I was expecting it to be so far out that it would take away from the experience. It wasn't. DHS, Epcot are a short drive (we use our own car). AK is not too bad either with a car. MK is a bit of a hike but not too bad. Being able to walk to DS is a huge bonus. Our stay was more of a parks in the morning, relax at the resort for activities in the afternoon, and then whatever we wanted at night. I was dreading a July trip for crowds and it was no where near what I anticipated.

Weather_Lady

This is very subjective, but I'd stay at AKL 100 times before I'd consider SSR, even though I don't think there's anything wrong with SSR at all (and it always seems to have competitively low nightly rates). We don't tend to go to Disney Springs, so the close proximity with SSR wouldn't mean anything to us. The biggest reason we'd choose AKL, though (despite its lack of convenient transportation to 3 of the 4 parks) is that I've lived in upstate New York all my life. When I go on vacation, I want to go somewhere totally different, not someplace themed to look like home! SSR looks beautiful, but the theming is just too sterile for me.

Disney Nerd

I have stayed at AKL and even though I have only been to WDW 3 times it is my favourite Resort. The decor is beautiful and just having the opportunity to see the animals makes it for me.I would definitely choose the AKL.

correcaminos

AKL for sure! I do not care for SSR. It's nothing to do with exterior doors either. The exterior halls at SSR are quite long, but the whole resort feels "cold" to us. I do not like the location and we are not Disney Springs fans.

AKL has so much more to offer. Two great pools to pick from and some of the best dining out there. It really is a top notch resort with a lot of offerings. However if you do not spend much time at a resort or have a love for Disney springs, I'd pick SSR

If you book AKL, try to get Savanna view, and a lower floor. We were on the fourth floor, and many animals were hidden under the canopy.

Two facts in favor of SSR: The Paddock has a nice pool with slides with its own QS restaurant and bus stop. Very convenient.

With hundreds of rooms, you can book much later than other resorts.

If you cannot book a TS restaurant, try the Turf Club Bar & Grill at SSR.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom