Airfare changing anyone else's plans?

captainkidd

Our trip is booked and all paid for, except for return airfare. I'm seriously considering canceling this summer though. Airfare is through the roof. We live near Boston and have 3 airports to fly from. Flight down cost $1,000 for the 5 of us. Flight back is gonna run us even more.

I just can't stomach what the oil companies are doing to the economy. Literally, choking it to death. I'm feeling like part of the problem if I contribute to this insanity. The government tells us we need to put money into the economy to get it back on track. How can we do that when it costs $3.60 for a gallon of gas, or it costs a family of 5 over $2,000 to fly to Orlando? To think, just 3 years ago, we could all fly to Orlando for about $600 round trip.

captainkidd

Original Poster
We were planning on flying SW in October. But, when I checked the price the other day my jaw dropped! Got our tickets on jetBlue for a significantly cheaper amount than SW.

I think it's a simple case of SW believing their own hype. The whole "no fees for baggage or changes" is indeed awesome, but they seem to think people are going to pay an extra premium for that all of a sudden. I think they're in for a rude awakening.

Upvote 0

Pioneer Hall

I think it's a simple case of SW believing their own hype. The whole "no fees for baggage or changes" is indeed awesome, but they seem to think people are going to pay an extra premium for that all of a sudden. I think they're in for a rude awakening.

As they continue to expand and become more of a major player in the airline industry, they are going to see why all the other major airlines started to charge the way they do. If they still want to use the marketing campaign of free bags and change fees, then they are going to have to make up for that revenue somewhere. Once they hit a point where their tickets seem to expensive, I would venture to guess that SW will lower the ticket costs and start charging for bags like other airlines.

Upvote 0

sublimesting

I scheduled but did not book on Tuesday and it was $610 for roundtrip for two. The next morning it had risen to $850. I booked it right away but was very PO'd.:mad: I checked it again on Thursday and it had risen again to almost $1,000. :eek::eek::eek:

Upvote 0

Diane Hughess

I KNOW! It's NUTS! We're going in Aug., and when SW released our dates, it was $95 each way. I have to wait another week yet until some medical tests come back before I book, so I checked again and that $95 flight is now $245!! Holy cow! As we couldn't go to WDW last year, NOTHING is stopping us. If need be, we'll drive from Jersey and back, although I'll be the only driver. The kids don't have school, Mom is retired, so I'll just have to take a couple more days off work. Sometimes you really have to work at getting to your Magical Place!

I finally broke down and spent a fortune on airfare. Spirit Air from Atlantic City. Air for 4 $1181 plus the unending fees gave us a grand total of nearly $1500. Yikes! I have NEVER paid that much for air! 2 yrs ago, I got $79 each way with no added fees...The good old days.

Upvote 0

captainkidd

Original Poster
I finally broke down and spent a fortune on airfare. Spirit Air from Atlantic City. Air for 4 $1181 plus the unending fees gave us a grand total of nearly $1500. Yikes! I have NEVER paid that much for air! 2 yrs ago, I got $79 each way with no added fees...The good old days.

And still, no discounts from Disney for July.

Either the economy isn't as bad as we're being led to believe, or Disney is taking a HUGE gamble.

Upvote 0

Nemo14

And still, no discounts from Disney for July.

Either the economy isn't as bad as we're being led to believe, or Disney is taking a HUGE gamble.
I don't think that it's Disney that's taking a gamble. Most people I know that are going this summer booked their airfare when they booked their trips - way back before Christmas. Those who waited for better prices to me would be the gamblers, no?

Upvote 0

Tigger1988

I don't think that it's Disney that's taking a gamble. Most people I know that are going this summer booked their airfare when they booked their trips - way back before Christmas. Those who waited for better prices to me would be the gamblers, no?

Yup, there is absolutely no need for Disney to be releasing discounts for July. Most people booked trips (and airfare) for July MONTHS ago. Anyone who waited this late to book only has themselves to blame, huge gamble.

Upvote 0

Magical Dreamer

I'm hoping the Southwest / Airtran merger is completed in the 2nd quarter as expected.....We have both airlines in the area and it may open a window of special promotions for our November trip.

Upvote 0

Alison1975

we are 2 hours from Boston and airfare is exactly why we are driving.. the trip is really not that bad.. we do close to it every April ( Savannah GA)... I'd rather spend $600 on gas than the $1900-2700 flying 8 of us would cost

Upvote 0
I am a family of 6, 2 adults 4 children (11, 9, 9, 5) and we started going to Disney 2 years ago annually. We live in Maryland and alway drive down. The average cost of airfare from Baltimore to Orlando for the 6 of us is 1200. When we drive we do so for a round trip cost of 500. I don't know, I just can't see spending the extra 700 on a plane ticket. Would rather spend that money on the kids at Disney. Plus the drive is pretty nice compared to some others I've had to do.

Upvote 0

captainkidd

Original Poster
Yup, there is absolutely no need for Disney to be releasing discounts for July. Most people booked trips (and airfare) for July MONTHS ago. Anyone who waited this late to book only has themselves to blame, huge gamble.

With all due respect, you don't know exactly what you're talking about. It's true - Booking airfare later can be a risk, but it's been a fact for as long as internet has sold airfare, that there are certain days and periods where airfare drops. If you follow farecompare you'd know this. And with the exception of Southwest, every other airline carries a fee for changing your flight. Typically, Southwest has their lowest fares 3 months prior to departure, up until about 3 weeks prior. This year - Who knows?

I booked my departing airfare months ago. It was STILL expensive as hell. However, that's not the point. Airfare bookings, regardless of who you know has made their plans, are WAY down. Thus the reason for the cutting of so many flights. It's simple math. The fewer flights there are, the fewer people can get to Orlando, the fewer hotel rooms that can be booked. Need proof? Check out availability for the month of July. If you wanted a room for the entire month of July, only the following resorts are booked solid:

All Star Sports
Coronado Springs
Contemporary

And that's the entire month!!! Put in a week here or there, and there's rooms open at every resort. We're talking the busiest month of the year.

You don't think there's a reason for Disney to think about discounts for July?:veryconfu

Upvote 0

mmbarkle

Driving

We are driving from Wisconsin in May. It's a 24 hour trip, so we're going to do one super-long day and one long day. We used to drive 800 miles or so in a day and we made it ok. Orlando will be a welcome sight after 24 hours in the car!:p

Upvote 0

thewhitequeen

With all due respect, you don't know exactly what you're talking about. It's true - Booking airfare later can be a risk, but it's been a fact for as long as internet has sold airfare, that there are certain days and periods where airfare drops. If you follow farecompare you'd know this. And with the exception of Southwest, every other airline carries a fee for changing your flight. Typically, Southwest has their lowest fares 3 months prior to departure, up until about 3 weeks prior. This year - Who knows?

I booked my departing airfare months ago. It was STILL expensive as hell. However, that's not the point. Airfare bookings, regardless of who you know has made their plans, are WAY down. Thus the reason for the cutting of so many flights. It's simple math. The fewer flights there are, the fewer people can get to Orlando, the fewer hotel rooms that can be booked. Need proof? Check out availability for the month of July. If you wanted a room for the entire month of July, only the following resorts are booked solid:

All Star Sports
Coronado Springs
Contemporary

And that's the entire month!!! Put in a week here or there, and there's rooms open at every resort. We're talking the busiest month of the year.

You don't think there's a reason for Disney to think about discounts for July?:veryconfu

I think we can guess where the Brazilian Tour Groups will be placed. :lol:

Upvote 0

worldfanatic

If Disney needs to discount, they'll discount.

But just because they're not 'SOLD OUT' at every resort doesn't mean they need to discount.

Once you discount, you often have to go back and discount much of the people that have already booked.
If I've got the house booked 90% at $180/night, it isn't good business to drop the current rate to $140/night to get the final 10% because you will probably have to give much of that discount back to the other 90%.

Disney knows their hotel business better than anyone.

I always get a kick out of people desperate for a low rate claiming "Disney doesn't know what they're doing!!!:veryconfu

Upvote 0
We are about 20 hours drive time away and since it is just the two of us know I can't justify the lost time spent in a car to save a few bucks. When the kids were young and going along, it was a little easier to stomach the ride for the savings. I can sympathize with those with families and the extra cost.

Upvote 0

nolatron

While I would love to fly for our trip in September, the currently priced Southwest airfare from MSY to MCO is about $900 for 3 adults. Way more than usual.

We're currently planning on driving, it's about 9 hours from here, but if Southwest manages to cut that in half-ish prior I may go for it.

Upvote 0

Tigger1988

If Disney needs to discount, they'll discount.

But just because they're not 'SOLD OUT' at every resort doesn't mean they need to discount.

Once you discount, you often have to go back and discount much of the people that have already booked.
If I've got the house booked 90% at $180/night, it isn't good business to drop the current rate to $140/night to get the final 10% because you will probably have to give much of that discount back to the other 90%.

Disney knows their hotel business better than anyone.

I always get a kick out of people desperate for a low rate claiming "Disney doesn't know what they're doing!!!:veryconfu

This. Until he can show proof of the resorts being grossly under booked for July the argument holds no water.

Upvote 0

captainkidd

Original Poster

I'm not "desperate" for anything. My trip's been paid off for months. I'm just saying that unless something very unusual happened with the economy and it has done a 180 that nobody has heard of, it seems as though it would be in their best interest to fill as many rooms as possible.

Disney doesn't always know what they're doing. I think some of the more recent additions to the parks proves that.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom