Air Canada Transfer Question

H20Babie

Original Poster
Well, I've asked Air Canada this question and received two different responses, so help from anyone would be appreciated.

I have a 1 hour 10 minute connection in Toronto from Winnipeg. From my understanding, this is the minimum connection time. One agent said that I have to collect my checked baggage and then go through US Customs, re-checking my baggage on the other side. Another agent said that when I check my baggage in Winnipeg, I do not have to collect it as it will automatically go through US Customs in Toronto.

Which one is it?

BTW, both agents told me, and it seems logical, that I will have to collect my baggage in Toronto on the way home for Canada Customs.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Having just done the Toronto international transfer last week...

You have to depart the security area, retrieve your checked bags and pass U.S. Customs. There is a drop-off for checked bags immediately after you've cleared Customs and then you have to re-enter the security area, this time taking your shoes off [Canadian domestic travel you can keep your shoes on, to/in the U.S. you have to take them off].

If you have a laptop [or presumably any electronics] in your checked bags, when you get wherever you're going, you'll have a card saying they opened your bag to inspect it. If you have a laptop in your carry-on, you'll have to remove it and put it through the x-ray separately and then they'll 'swab' it with a special sensor to check that it's a working laptop [you used to have to turn them on].

The U.S. Customs process is actually quite efficient, but to be safe, go directly there as soon as possible when you arrive. If you get through quickly, all the better, you can grab snacks/coffee after you're through. If there is a wait and it looks like you might not make your flight, staff can take you to the front [they won't do so just because you think you won't make it, they know how fast the line moves and will only move you up if they think you might not make it]. You should be fine with over an hour lay-over.

H20Babie

Original Poster
Thanks MontyMon. It's been years since I've been in the Toronto airport ... how easy/difficult is it to find out where I'm going, etc? :brick:

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Thanks MontyMon. It's been years since I've been in the Toronto airport ... how easy/difficult is it to find out where I'm going, etc? :brick:
From your arrival gate, follow the signs that say "U.S. Connections", they'll lead you to the baggage claim. Wait for your bags, collect them [you may be asked to show your baggage claim stubs as you leave the baggage area] and proceed through Customs [so long as you don't go out of baggage claim the way you came in you'll be fine]. Then drop your bags at the conveyor and proceed through security to your gate. It's almost fool-proof once you've found the baggage pick-up and getting there only requires following clear signs.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom