After Iger.....

DaBears81

Original Poster
So this is a total random thought and i wouldn't even consider this a rumor. A few days ago my brother and I were talking and discussing "The Iger Era". To which he brought up the idea of who would be next and what they might do. As far as the what they might do, the sky's obviously the limit. However for the who, we brought up John Lasseter. I think it could be a good idea, and I think most would agree that he can't do much worse. Also considering, in my opinion he saved Disney animation with the Pixar movies. He made Disney step up their game with their in house animation. From what I've seen of the man, he is also very passionate about what he does, and I think Disney needs someone with more passion than Iger. Aside from the Marvel buy out and Lucasfilm buy out (however that one's still on the fence until Ep 7 comes out). His tenure hasn't been the best. Just wanted to throw this out there and get some other opinions.

Also I appologize if this has been posted elsewhere, or in the wrong place.

copcarguyp71

Company better...yes. Profits higher....yes. Parks better....nope.

This theme park game is a marathon and not a sprint. I predict that they have placed a world class sprint runner into a long distance marathon and the hutspah will run out before the race ends. Just my own thoughts though.

draybook

Hopefully, the Iger era continues for a very long time. I've made a ton of money on my stock since he took over and made this company better.

llama-stare_zps1hudj7vd.gif

wdwfan4ver

It's a matter of opinion... I think the parks are just fine. They are working on DHS, they improved Norway In Epcot. They are constantly improving MK. AK is getting better with the nighttime show, Pandora is coming which looks awesome. Attendance is through the roof which is all that matters. Quite frankly, if Iger followed some of the advice of the experts on this board, disney would be bankrupt. Keep my stock portfolio growing Mr. Iger.
Norway being improved is debatable quite frankly and is something I wouldn't want to comment on before the change is completed.

Attendance through the roof isn't all that matters if the guests are not spending once they are in the park. Disney is only working on DHS and AK as ways to improve guests spending inside the park besides drawing more guests.

You haven't changed about making the false statement about Mr. Iger maximizing the Theme Park and Resort division Profits. Bob Iger is doing a worse job of doing in that division than Michael Disney did according to parents of four. Michael Eisner averaged a 22 percent profit Margin for the Theme Park and Resort Division and Iger before the last quarter only averaged a 14.7 percent for his entire tenure at The Walt Disney company so far. The margins went down because Iger invested less in the parks at times during his tenure with the Walt Disney Company.

If you don't believe me, my proof is ttp://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/the-spirited-seventh-heaven.884731/page-880#post-6349664 with Parents of four being the poster.

Once DHS and AK is done, Iger or his successor will see the theme park and Resort division see the highest profit margins in a long time for that division.

Last edited:

disney4life2008

When did I say anything about P&R profits? Never. The company as a whole has increased the value of my portfolio and that of many other investors, which is all I care about it. Norway being improved is a matter of opinion, and by the simple fact of closing down Malestrom, it is improved in my opinion. That ride was awful.

Sounds like a typical bureaucrat.

FoozieBear

Company better...yes. Profits higher....yes. Parks better....nope.

This theme park game is a marathon and not a sprint. I predict that they have placed a world class sprint runner into a long distance marathon and the hutspah will run out before the race ends. Just my own thoughts though.

Iger is working well on the theme parks now. It's something that Disney fell into near the end of the Eisner era, and was build the parks cheap and lazily, becuase people are going to come anyway. Iger's team created Cars Land, they're fixing up DHS, Avatar Land is on the way, and New Fantasyland just to name a few has also been opened. It takes time to fix these things up, and I think he's doing a good job

FutureCEO

Iger is working well on the theme parks now. It's something that Disney fell into near the end of the Eisner era, and was build the parks cheap and lazily, becuase people are going to come anyway. Iger's team created Cars Land, they're fixing up DHS, Avatar Land is on the way, and New Fantasyland just to name a few has also been opened. It takes time to fix these things up, and I think he's doing a good job

How are they fixing up MGM? I don't see anything being built or confirmed. New Fanatasyland is not that great. As for Avatarland, it's costing Disney money to use James Cameron's awful story but brilliant visual movie when they could get something in their own company.

wdwfan4ver

When did I say anything about P&R profits? Never.
That isn't true. Here is my proof of you saying that: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/if-you-were-ceo-of-disney-for-a-decade.887666/page-3#post-6392467

My proof link shows you typed " Performance at the parks, in movie theaters, tv, etc...those results matter and he does a good job maximizing those businesses".

When you mentioned" he does a good job Maximizing those businesses", you were talking about different divisions of the Walt Disney company that you mentioned included P&R from a profit standpoint since you listed different divisions of the company.

FoozieBear

How are they fixing up MGM? I don't see anything being built or confirmed. New Fanatasyland is not that great. As for Avatarland, it's costing Disney money to use James Cameron's awful story but brilliant visual movie when they could get something in their own company.

I think the announcement on MGM is coming after Thanksgiving or the holdiays. I wish they would just announce it already ,but it looks like they're pulling a "Universal" and building something new without announcing it. I think a Pixar expansion is happening very soon.

JIMINYCR

I still say its difficult to compare Iger & Eisner as far as their profits. Yes the numbers are dramatically different but they arent starting off on a level plane. Still time will tell if Iger can produce in the coming years. Eisner turned Disney around from being on the verge of a buy out. He was daring enough to act outside of the Disney norm and profits came in. He came in at a time when peoples attitudes were changing and they were accepting of the changes he installed. I dont think Eisners plan would have been as well received had he been in power years prior. He also he relied on the powerful team/ influence/work ethics of Wells (while he lived) & Katzenberg.
I'm not a total fan of Iger, there have been missteps, but the guy hasnt run the company into the ground either.

copcarguyp71

Ok, you proved me wrong, I forgot about that...it doesn't change my opinion that I love Iger and he has made me a lot of money and again....that is all that matters.

Well...maybe in your stock portfolio but not on these boards where we are all about the quality and love for the parks. I normally do not rant and try to stay neutral but your capitalist viewpoints really have very little bearing on the discussions of the parks. Your stocks are doing well which is great but I still see mermaid effects and fog curtain projections not working on POTC among 100 other shortcomings and your financial well being is of very little consequence to my value for the dollar experience.

You do whatever you want and clearly you are only interested in your pocket (as am I since I have bailed out on WDW and taken my dollar elsewhere for the foreseeable future) but I for one will always pine away for the sense of wonder I once felt and your fat wallet will get no fatter with my dollars. I will not dignify any of your responses with so much as a glance so i will wish you well in your investments...:greedy:

Last edited:

DaBears81

Original Poster
Stock talk aside (a topic I know nothing about). I am just looking forward to who get the torch next and see what they do. I just hope who ever it might be, brings back some of that original Walt Disney Magic that we all know and love. And I think most would agree the parks are missing.

Tom

Beta Return
Stock talk aside (a topic I know nothing about). I am just looking forward to who get the torch next and see what they do. I just hope who ever it might be, brings back some of that original Walt Disney Magic that we all know and love. And I think most would agree the parks are missing.

Agreed.

A good CEO can make money AND maintain classic parks with new offerings. He just has to understand people, how they spend, and surround himself with qualified individuals.

Chef Mickey

Hopefully, the Iger era continues for a very long time. I've made a ton of money on my stock since he took over and made this company better.
baby-laughing-to-shock.gif

I agree with the good for shareholders part, I am one too.

However, a better company? If your only measure is profits, yes. If your measure is a better experience in the parks, it's a resounding no. The parks have never been in more need of an infusion and literally 90% of what's there is because of the geniuses BEFORE Iger.

They are truly standing on the shoulders of the geniuses before them. Failing to invest significantly in things that matter at WDW parks is truly catching up with them. They've done a decent job maintaining status quo, but they certainly haven't gone out on a limb to separate the parks like Disney should. It's as if they managed the parks to "not mess up" instead of taking them to the next level. Splash Mountain, Everest, RNR, Tower of Terror, Animal Kingdom, and many others were much more ambitious projects not seen since the Eisner years.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom