Advice planning first WDW trip

Ryan Holt

We are planning on taking a 7 day cruise out of Port Canaveral and then spending 4 nights / 5 days at WDW (Nov 28 - Dec 9) afterwards. We have two boys age 3 & 4 and this is my families first cruise and first trip to Florida WDW (I went when I was 7 years old but first for everyone else).

A couple questions... since this is probably the only time we'll do this trip (maybe one more time in +10 years) is 4 nights / 5 days enough time at the parks or should we extend a bit? I feel like for our family this will be more than enough time for us, but I haven't been and most info on the internet suggests spending more time. We plan on spending two half days (first day and last day) and one full day at MK plus one night at the Mickey Christmas Party, then one day each at Animal Kingdom and Disney Hollywood. I plan on having park hopper passes in case we decide to change it up. We're not very excited about Epcot, just because the kids are so young and I remember even at 7 didn't find it all that exciting. Has anything changed? Does this seem like a reasonable time table overall? I am assuming after relaxing on a cruise for 7 days we should be able to hit the parks pretty hard and do as much as we want to without feeling rushed. I am even thinking this should be enough time to take a few breathers at the resort between parks and not feeling like we are missing out.

Resort hotel. We have pretty much decided on the Wilderness lodge for a resort, though I am having trouble deciding which room to book. We like the idea of a rustic wilderness lodge all done up for Christmas and the boatride to MK park. I tried to rent DVC points for a 1 br villa but those are all booked up. So options are a regular hotel room, a regular room on the club level and a 1 br villa at rack rate. The villa and club level rooms are about $150 more per night and each has pros and cons. I really need some advice here about what to do. I am leaning towards a 1 br villa.

The regular hotel rooms are not much bigger than the stateroom we are staying on for the cruise, so a 1 br unit would be excellent to stretch out in. Plus, having laundry in the room would be really nice after 7 full days at sea. How practical is the kitchen? Where is the nearest grocery? Our family would do very well with instant oatmeal, cereal, PB&J's in the room, we would save a lot of time / money waiting in line for food at the park. Our little ones like to eat right when they wake up and it can be nerve racking trying to get everyone up and at 'em quickly in the morning to go find someplace to eat. Will the hotel stock up on groceries if we give them a list before we check in? Taking a cab to the nearest A&P to buy food while on vacation doesn't sound appealing.

The club level seems good because of all the food provided on that level. Mini bar, cereal, cookies, etc. I am not sure if it is worth an additional $150 per night though. Especially since the rooms are still very small.

A regular hotel room isn't out of the question. I don't mind getting some room service in the morning, but it just seems like for the price a 1 br is the way to go.

Ryan Holt

Original Poster
It sounds like I'm late to the party here, but is it possible to do WDW before the cruise? I haven't done a cruise, but I've heard multiple people say that the right order to do it is WDW and then cruise. You'll be running ragged around the theme parks all day, and the cruise is more about relaxation. It sounds like a nicer way to end the trip.

I definitely agree with all that and it seems like that is the natural order of things. That would have been ideal but it just didn't work. There were a few headwinds to booking it like that. For whatever reason the 7 day cruise right after thanksgiving is significantly cheaper than anything else offered Nov-Feb. Since our kids are not quite in school, we really wanted to take advantage of 'off season' which narrowed our options. Furthermore, I am very much looking forward to seeing the Christmas themes. I am also hoping early December is somewhat less crowded. As near as I can tell, this should be an ideal time to visit.

Upvote 0

Cosmic Commando

I definitely agree with all that and it seems like that is the natural order of things. That would have been ideal but it just didn't work. There were a few headwinds to booking it like that. For whatever reason the 7 day cruise right after thanksgiving is significantly cheaper than anything else offered Nov-Feb. Since our kids are not quite in school, we really wanted to take advantage of 'off season' which narrowed our options. Furthermore, I am very much looking forward to seeing the Christmas themes. I am also hoping early December is somewhat less crowded. As near as I can tell, this should be an ideal time to visit.
It really is a good time of year to do WDW: milder weather, lower crowds, and Christmas is out in (mostly) full force. Wilderness Lodge is beautiful at Christmas, and Epcot will have their Christmas/holiday offerings started by then.

Upvote 0

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Hopefully we can try and time it out as best we can as to when the next bus will be arriving to minimize sitting.
Unfortunately, at the present time there is no way to track when the next bus will be arriving/departing since there isn't a preset time schedule. By December you *may* be able check MDE for approximate arrival time (it's a feature everyone is hoping for)...just didn't want you to carry around unnecessary stress trying to get your bus stop "timing" to work out. :)

Upvote 0

Ryan Holt

Original Poster
Unfortunately, at the present time there is no way to track when the next bus will be arriving/departing since there isn't a preset time schedule. By December you *may* be able check MDE for approximate arrival time (it's a feature everyone is hoping for)...just didn't want you to carry around unnecessary stress trying to get your bus stop "timing" to work out. :)

That is unfortunate, but not unexpected. I love planning or at least having the illusion that I can plan if I want to. I wish we Americans had more appreciation for things like the European train schedule. When I was there at least, every train arrived and departed to the minute.

What is the longest wait you have had for a bus? Also, what is the transit time between parks / resorts?

Upvote 0

CheshireCat12

Bus waits anywhere from 0 to 45 minutes. Most often 10 min. or so from the resorts in the morning. It varies a lot because you can get in the line at the parks right after a bus just left and then you are waiting 20 min or more, but sometimes you get lucky and it is waiting for you when you get to the queue. I visit frequently and have had very few bus issues over the years. The worst is when the park closes and everyone is dashing madly for the buses and waiting in long lines, the buses are super full and everyone is tired and cranky. I try not to do the mad dash :) Either wait a little while (do some shopping!) or leave a little earlier.
Sounds like you have a nice trip planned- I am very envious of your cruise- you are going to love DCL!!!

Upvote 0

Ryan Holt

Original Poster
Bus waits anywhere from 0 to 45 minutes. Most often 10 min. or so from the resorts in the morning. It varies a lot because you can get in the line at the parks right after a bus just left and then you are waiting 20 min or more, but sometimes you get lucky and it is waiting for you when you get to the queue. I visit frequently and have had very few bus issues over the years. The worst is when the park closes and everyone is dashing madly for the buses and waiting in long lines, the buses are super full and everyone is tired and cranky. I try not to do the mad dash :) Either wait a little while (do some shopping!) or leave a little earlier.
Sounds like you have a nice trip planned- I am very envious of your cruise- you are going to love DCL!!!

Thank you. I am always a big fan of trying to 'beat the crowds'. I plan on mainly taking the boats to and from the hotel to MK, but I can't imagine the bus service is anything less than fantastic.

I never thought I would ever go on a cruise. But there is definitely a huge appeal now with kids. It seems like they have some amazing things for them to do on the ship and we are very much looking forward to that.

Upvote 0

Cosmic Commando

This is from our member Len Testa, who is a co-author of the Unofficial Guide to WDW and something-or-other of touringplans.com:

The distribution probably looks something like this, based on a quick 110-sample analysis:

45% of the time you'll wait under 15 minutes.
25% of the time you'll wait 15-20 minutes.
25% of the time you'll wait 20-30 minutes.
5% of the time you'll wait more than 30 minutes.

So 70% of the time, your wait will be less than or about what Disney says ("Every 20 minutes.") 5% of the time, it'll be substantially worse.

The thing to realize is that 5% bad experiences for a huge number of visitors, is still a large number of unhappy people.

I think Disney's bus service improvements is one of the unheralded corporate achievements they've done over the last couple of years.

Upvote 0

wdwfan4ver

Furthermore, I am very much looking forward to seeing the Christmas themes. I am also hoping early December is somewhat less crowded. As near as I can tell, this should be an ideal time to visit.
For me back in 2010, the weekend is was the time with the biggest crowds since I was there in late November/Early December. There also is the possibility of the Magic Kingdom Parade being taped the first weekend of December although that wasn't the case last year for the first time a while.

There is one thing you need to know ahead of time. When I went in December, the Nights were cold by Florida standards. I am taking about Temperatures in the 30's at Night although that would be in a high in the Midwest region on a good day where I am from for December.

When you are dealing with late November to through December, it is capable of being in the 50's or 60's as a high. It also is capable of being higher than that also. It is one those things you have to pack for cold and warm.

Upvote 0

wdwfan4ver

The only park there's no real way to make a whole day out of is DHS. Since it's right next to Epcot, I'd recommend taking a nice relaxing boat from DHS to Epcot once you're done.

Epcot is indeed different than you remember it; in some ways, it's way worse. But there's also a lot to love. Soarin and Spaceship Earth are pretty great, and Turtle Talk With Crush is a must for us every single time (and we don't even have kids!). It's worth it alone for IllumiNations and the snacking you can do at World Showcase (everything at the French bakery, school bread in Norway, and the margaritas at La Cava Del Tequila are the best snacks of all!). Even if it's not entirely your scene, there's some magic in there. And as I've said, you'll definitely have some free time when you're done at the Studios. I'm super on-board with making a full day out of Animal Kingdom, though.

Also, everyone should bring two pairs of comfy sneakers and alternate!
I don't know about that for DHS considering the op is 36 and last time went to Disney was when he was 7 years old.

I admit that the ride part is limited for the 3 and 4 year old kids the op has since I only could them doing maybe 2 or 3 rides there although I question Star Tours: the Adventure Continues and the Alien scene for the Great Movie Ride.

For Experienced Disney Goers like me, we already did the shows unlike the op's family. I think the shows would be taking up a lot of time to the point it is time to eat unless Disney has plans of closing up attractions at DHS before the year ends that non of the insiders on the forums mentioned.

There is the fact the Osborne Lights will be running this year when he's going unlike one of the future years for that park also.

Upvote 0

Ryan Holt

Original Poster
For me back in 2010, the weekend is was the time with the biggest crowds since I was there in late November/Early December. There also is the possibility of the Magic Kingdom Parade being taped the first weekend of December although that wasn't the case last year for the first time a while.

There is one thing you need to know ahead of time. When I went in December, the Nights were cold by Florida standards. I am taking about Temperatures in the 30's at Night although that would be in a high in the Midwest region on a good day where I am from for December.

When you are dealing with late November to through December, it is capable of being in the 50's or 60's as a high. It also is capable of being higher than that also. It is one those things you have to pack for cold and warm.

That is a little disheartening... I have read though that Disney has gone to great lengths to make sure there is no 'slow' time of year. One of the best disney trips I took as a kid was to Anaheim on off season and the park was quite empty. I remember riding some attractions twice without even getting off and nothing had more than a 5 minute wait. Those were the days... However, with FP+ and careful planning, we should be able to do everything we want to do.

I have been reading various 'tips and tricks'... one site states that 'extra magic hours' = 'extra crowds' and suggests you would do well to avoid any park with extra magic hours or special events because the others will be noticeably slower. The math behind it made sense, approx 25000 onsite accommodations at WDW means anywhere from 25000 - 100000 guests all with access to, and looking to take advantage of 'extra magic hours'.

It seems counter-intuitive but also makes sense. So what do you guys think? Avoid say MK if it is a 'extra hours' day and go to AK. I am not as concerned with spending max hours in the parks. I would be much happier dealing with less crowds and only spending 8 hours in a park rather than spending open til close but constantly battling 45 min lines on every attraction. I am going to prepare for both and study up. I hope to master the FP+ system just in case.

I don't know about that for DHS considering the op is 36 and last time went to Disney was when he was 7 years old.

I admit that the ride part is limited for the 3 and 4 year old kids the op has since I only could them doing maybe 2 or 3 rides there although I question Star Tours: the Adventure Continues and the Alien scene for the Great Movie Ride.

For Experienced Disney Goers like me, we already did the shows unlike the op's family. I think the shows would be taking up a lot of time to the point it is time to eat unless Disney has plans of closing up attractions at DHS before the year ends that non of the insiders on the forums mentioned.

There is the fact the Osborne Lights will be running this year when he's going unlike one of the future years for that park also.

The only shows I am pretty keen on at this point are the christmas fireworks and parade at MK. Fantasmic looks cool but I can always see that at Disneyland. My boys aren't really into sitting and watching (unless they are completely exhausted) so we'll probably skip most of the show, even though they do look like fun. As far as DHS goes, the big draw is starwars for us. But even then, Star tours, TSMM and ToT would also both be fun but all of those are also at Anaheim. In fact, now that I am thinking about it, most of DHS is similar to California adventure so it sort of makes sense for us to skip this park altogether as Anaheim is a much easier and likely trip for us to make.

Upvote 0

popcenturylover

The Christmas theming at WDW is very pretty. A couple of our favorites was the Osborne Lights at DHS & the Candlelight Processional at Epcot. We were there just after Thanksgiving 13' & it was more crowded than we expected. The weekend we got there it was POP Warner time & the next weekend was the Christmas Parade Taping. The weather was great though with low humidity.

Upvote 0

CheshireCat12

Regarding EMH- some avoid it, some don't miss it. I'm in the latter camp. If you go to rope drop for morning EMH you can get a lot done in the first couple hours the park is open. Remember that not everyone wants to get up early to get to a park at 8 AM for rope drop, so although it is a perk for all those resort guests, the crowds are never really too bad.
Evening EMH at MK- don't miss it! It would be better to break mid-day and come back rested and be able to stay until 1 AM because once EMH begins the crowd thins quite a bit. Many rides are almost walk-ons. Many times we've ridden BTMRR and gotten off and gone right back on again within a few minutes.

Upvote 0

Cosmic Commando

Morning EMH at MK are worth it IF you can get there when they start. If your Extra Magic Hour is only 15 minutes, why bother? The other ones... you could be in a pickle, depending on how tall your 3YO is. MK has tons of attractions to fill out that first hour for little ones. The other parks? Not so much. If your littlest one is not 40" by the time of the trip, morning EMH isn't worth it IMO. Here's the list of things that anyone can ride during morning EMH:

Epcot
Living with the Land
Spaceship Earth
Both attractions that you can generally ride with low wait later in the day

DHS
Great Movie Ride
Toy Story Mania
Muppet Vision
One Man's Dream
Magic of Disney Animation
You could make an hour out of TSMM, GMR, and Muppetvision, but the line will probably already be crazy for TSMM standby even if you get there early

DAK
Kilimanjaro Safaris
Pangani Forest Exploration Trail
It's Tough to Be a Bug
If you don't ride the Safari twice in a row during EMH, there's a good chance you'll be standing around with nothing to do. The other two should be no-wait most any time.

Again, that's if your youngest is under 40" or you have someone that doesn't care for the headliners. Unless your family naturally gets up super early, it's probably better to go to a non-EMH park.

Upvote 0

Ryan Holt

Original Poster
Morning EMH at MK are worth it IF you can get there when they start. If your Extra Magic Hour is only 15 minutes, why bother? The other ones... you could be in a pickle, depending on how tall your 3YO is. MK has tons of attractions to fill out that first hour for little ones. The other parks? Not so much. If your littlest one is not 40" by the time of the trip, morning EMH isn't worth it IMO. Here's the list of things that anyone can ride during morning EMH:

Epcot
Living with the Land
Spaceship Earth
Both attractions that you can generally ride with low wait later in the day

DHS
Great Movie Ride
Toy Story Mania
Muppet Vision
One Man's Dream
Magic of Disney Animation
You could make an hour out of TSMM, GMR, and Muppetvision, but the line will probably already be crazy for TSMM standby even if you get there early

DAK
Kilimanjaro Safaris
Pangani Forest Exploration Trail
It's Tough to Be a Bug
If you don't ride the Safari twice in a row during EMH, there's a good chance you'll be standing around with nothing to do. The other two should be no-wait most any time.

Again, that's if your youngest is under 40" or you have someone that doesn't care for the headliners. Unless your family naturally gets up super early, it's probably better to go to a non-EMH park.

The 4 year old is around 43" right now, easily 44" with shoes so he should be good to go on almost everything. The little guy is about 38-1/2" right now and nearly 40" with shoes so I think we should clear most of the headliners.

We are generally early to bed, early to rise. I like to be out the door by 07:30 or 08:30 at the latest. Having a kitchen and larger bathroom should help get everyone up and running earlier. Looking at it, for the hours posted now, they have MK with EMH on Monday, the day after our booking for the Christmas party that runs until midnight so I doubt we'll make it for that. I wonder if we could / should look at trading our Christmas party tickets for the Tuesday show instead? Probably not, that will likely just cost more money.

I am going to just work on figuring out exactly what we want to do in each park then try to build an effective rough schedule / itinerary for doing those things and try to leave enough flex to wander and have fun.

Right now I am thinking:
AK for 1 full day - It looks like this park is open consistently 9-5 or 6. So this might fit in nicely the first day (depending on how early we get in from Port Canaveral) or on Sunday then we could bail out for the Christmas part that night - that might make for a long day though. I really don't see anything in this park that I am not interested in doing, so this might fit better on Monday or Tuesday where we would have a full day for it.

DHS - I am inclined to skip this park. Almost all the attractions are the same as California Adventure. I am sure this park would be fun, but the kids with a 5 min attention span would not appreciate the shows. We'll probably be down at Anaheim some time in 2016, so I don't feel that bad about skipping DHS.

MK - This is going to get either 2 full days + the Christmas party or 1 full day, 1 half day and the Christmas party. Out of all the parks this is the only one where we definitely want to ride and see everything. We might even do 3 days here.

Epcot - Based on all the feedback, I think we should give Epcot at least a day. Test track, turtles, spaceship earth and showcase all look fun. This might be a good first day to the park because they are open later. We could visit in the AM, go back for check in then head back that evening.

Regardless, I think with a park hopper we should be good to bounce around and 'play it by ear' to a degree. It seems like all we really need to do is have the first day planned with FP+ to get that out of the way so we can free up more FP's.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom