Advice on "Whirlwind Tour" of WDW Resorts?

Demeter Tess

Each time we visit Orlando, my mother and I like to take a day to tour a few of the WDW resorts, enjoy the varying atmospheres, snap photos, and have lunch at a restaurant we wouldn't normally get to experience. (We stay with my grandparents in Winter Springs, so our WDW visits are limited to day trips, rather than staying on property.) This summer we did the MK resorts (Polynesian, Grand Floridian, Contemporary) in a day and ate at the Kona Cafe. It was a blast!

Our next visit is coming up (March 29th-April 2nd) and I'm torn between which resorts to hit. We're considering either doing the Epcot resorts (Boardwalk, Yacht & Beach Club, Swan & Dolphin), AK resorts (AK Lodge & Coronado Springs), or Downtown Disney resorts (Port Orleans, Old Key West, Saratoga Springs). Any recommendations?

I'd also appreciate any dining recommendations. We don't want to go too outrageous, since we usually do a fancy $$$ restaurant in the parks. Maybe $$ or even nice counter-service would be more than sufficient. We're more interested in atmosphere and having fun on our "whirlwind tour" than anything else.

Thank you in advance!

Philo

I guess it depends on how long you have.

A trip to AKL is always highly recommended as, IMO, it is by far the most impressive resort but it will take a little longer to get to.

The Epcot resorts are so close to the park that a quick trip to the Boardwalk (which is a great tip by itself) is well worth it. To me, the resorts there aren't anything special (their nice, they just haven't ever blown me away) but it is a nice way to spend the afternoon.

So, for me it would be the AK resorts for something really different and if you don't mind a bit of travelling OR the Epcot resorts for convenience and for a really nice way to relax outside the parks.

Upvote 0

dreamscometrue

Our favourite moderate by far is Coronado, and our DVC home is the Animal Kingdom Lodge Villas, so I'm partial to the AK area resorts (although it's fun to see all the resorts). We love the themeing and pyramid pool at Coronado and the 2 AKL Villas buildings are awesome. The savanah and architecture are stunning, but they also feature one of the largest collections of African art in the U.S. Further, there are 3 wonderful table service restaurants from which to choose and nice spots to have a drink (largest selection of South African wines outside of South Africa I believe).

One word of caution. To really appreciate Coronado, and both Jambo House and Kidani at AKL VIllas, you'll have to do a lot of walking. The stroll around Coronado is a rather long loop, but you'll see the 3 different architectural types of buildings and the main pool. Jambo and Kidani are large as well and could also involve a decent amount of walking to check out the 4 savannahs, pool areas, etc.

If you can start this venture early in the morning, you could stop for a wonderful breakfast buffet at BOMA at Jambo House. Just book in advance and they do breakfast reservations for as late as about 11am. If you do this, bring your appetite. :)

Upvote 0

DisGal

I would choose the Epcot resorts. It would be a relaxing afternoon strolling around Crescent Lake and soaking up the atmosphere. Definitely eat at Beaches & Cream - great burgers and ice cream.

Upvote 0

DizneyPryncess

I would do the Epcot resorts, as they are some of my favorites. The Boardwalk is beautiful, and there are plenty of places to eat along there. You can rent a surrey bike, which I've done & loved! You ride from the Boardwalk on a loop through the beach & yacht clubs. I agree with visiting Beaches & Cream, especially if you want dessert.

Another nice thing about this area, is that you can walk to either Epcot or Hollywood Studios. Also, you can walk to Fantasia mini-golf, which is a fun afternoon or evening activity.

The Boardwalk Bakery has decent sandwiches for quick service. I got a caprese sandwich there that was great. ESPN Club is a nice casual place to sit down too, along the Boardwalk.

Upvote 0

mouselvrmom

We are kind of partial to the Epcot resorts as well. Beach Club is our favorite with Boardwalk coming in close behind it. If you were looking for a laid back lunch you could always try Beaches and Cream.

There is also lots to do and see and a very lovely walk to the International Gateway. If you wanted to add a park to your evening or something that could always be nice.

Upvote 0

Pete C

Epcot resorts...no question. The setting over the water, the boardwalk, the grounds at the Yacht and Beach Clubs...you can't beat it.

That said, AKL is probably the coolest looking resort from the interior and it also has the savannah observation area which is neat. If you are looking to spend a whole day though, I think the Epcot area offers more. The lagoon inside Coronado Springs, while beautiful, doesn't quite compare to the Epcot's trio of resorts water area, and the food is lousy and expensive there IMO.

Upvote 0

Demeter Tess

Original Poster
Thanks for all of the advice, everyone! I guess I'm mostly torn between AKL/Coronado and the EPCOT resorts because I have a real hankering to check out the scenery of the former, but feel the latter might make for a better all-day venture. I'm thinking we'll probably go for the EPCOT resorts, if only to avoid driving around or riding busses.

So, Beaches & Cream, huh? I guess I will just have to take everyone's advice and gorge myself on ice cream, LOL.

Upvote 0

dreamscometrue

Thanks for all of the advice, everyone! I guess I'm mostly torn between AKL/Coronado and the EPCOT resorts because I have a real hankering to check out the scenery of the former, but feel the latter might make for a better all-day venture. I'm thinking we'll probably go for the EPCOT resorts, if only to avoid driving around or riding busses.

So, Beaches & Cream, huh? I guess I will just have to take everyone's advice and gorge myself on ice cream, LOL.

You just might have to break down and do both 'excursions' over 2 days. What a rough gig that would be. :)

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom