Advice on character dining

3fordisney

Original Poster
I have a trip planned at the end of the month to wdw :animwink: . I am thinking about doing a character meal with my 3 year old. He is a picky eater and I have never done a character meal before. Which one should we do? Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

dflye

3fordisney said:
I have a trip planned at the end of the month to wdw :animwink: . I am thinking about doing a character meal with my 3 year old. He is a picky eater and I have never done a character meal before. Which one should we do? Any advice is greatly appreciated!!
Welcome to the boards! :wave:

I'd say try The Crystal Palace in the MK. The breakfast buffet has a good selection of food, most kids are amused by Pooh and his friends, and if things go bad, you are very close to Fantasyland and Toontown for kid friendly fun to put a smile back on their face.

DisneyBunny

First of all, Welcome!

If your little one is a picky eater, try reading the menus on either WDWmagic or allearsnet.com to see if there'll be something at a particular place that he will/won't eat.

The Crystal Palace is a great place, along with the always popular Chef Mickeys. If the food isn't entertaining enough, there's always the monorail going by to keep him occupied.

Good luck!

rainfully

Even dinner at the CP is fun. The kids buffet is awesome! :)

And the desserts... oh sweet Lord... the desserts... :slurp:

mrtoad

We have done a bunch of the different ones and although I like the Crystal Palace, it is big and there are only 4 characters there and we actually had to wait around after eating to see the last one. It was a little slow going.

Chef Mickey's gives more interation and is kind of lively. I recommend it.

Also dinner at the Liberty Tree Tavern is a good bet. We saw each character at least 2 times while eating. It seemed to have the most character interaction.

GoofyMom2

I,too, have a picky eater. Makes it a fun challenge, eh?

We ate at Cystal Palace for breakfast and there was something for everyone, even him. Lots to choose from. For dinner, many have mac and cheese, chicken strips etc.....I also recommend looking up the menus on allearsnet.com We have done this to help decide on where to eat.

Chef Mickey's is a good way to make sure you get to see the "big" characters..... many kids insist on seeing Micket etc 1st thing and this is a great way to make sure they do. While we haven't eaten here, I always hear rave reviews. (had to cancell our PS for it last Aug due to Hurrican Charlie and a mad dash to the airport....)

I think your 3 yr old will enjoy a character meal, they are a fun time!

Have a great trip! :wave:

tigsmom

mrtoad said:
We have done a bunch of the different ones and although I like the Crystal Palace, it is big and there are only 4 characters there and we actually had to wait around after eating to see the last one. It was a little slow going.

Chef Mickey's gives more interation and is kind of lively. I recommend it.

Also dinner at the Liberty Tree Tavern is a good bet. We saw each character at least 2 times while eating. It seemed to have the most character interaction.

I have to agree and will also add the buffet at The Cape May Cafe in the Beach Club for breakfast or dinner, you can't go wrong.

Welcome aboard! :wave:

hrmom26

Crystal Palace or Chef Mickey's are your best bet. i have a very picky eater also who is now 7 years old he is better then he was at 3 but still not a great eater. buffets are your best bet. i found when i turned off the eat your veg's speach and just told him he could try what every he wanted and eat what ever he actually ate more and tryed more things. he tryed more disserts than anything lol but surprisingly he tryed lots of other stuff just enjoy your self and your kids he will eat when he's hungry but buffets are the best because he gets to see it and pick it him self sometimes what sounds good to my son when we order is not to his liking when he actually see's it. hope this helps :wave:

Laura

Premium Member
All of the children's food is about the same at all the character buffets (mac n cheese, chicken, hot dogs)

MickeyTigg

Laura22 said:
All of the children's food is about the same at all the character buffets (mac n cheese, chicken, hot dogs)

Great point Laura...in other words, do not let the food dictate where you go. Go for the best character interaction and how much stimulation your kid can handle.

For the best character interaction, I suggest these -

Crystal Palace
Ohana's Character Breakfast
Liberty Tree Tavern Character Dinner

As for Chef Mickey's....lively is an understatement...it's borderline chaotic IMHO. If you're worred about overstimulation, this is not the place to go. The character interaction here is also very rushed. I'm not a fan of this place.

Innovation

For a first character dining experience, we liked the Garden Grill in Epcot. The restaurant rotates and is quieter than other character meals. The characters came by twice and sat down to have pictures taken. It was the highlight of our trip that year because of how happy it made our daughter, who was three at the time.

OneSweetDream

When I was a kid, my mom took me to the character breakfast at the Contemporary Resort, and I remember really enjoying it. However, it's probably not as convenient as an in-park one. So I'd stick with Crystal Palace or Chef Mickey's.

tigsmom

OneSweetDream said:
When I was a kid, my mom took me to the character breakfast at the Contemporary Resort, and I remember really enjoying it. However, it's probably not as convenient as an in-park one. So I'd stick with Crystal Palace or Chef Mickey's.

Chef Mickey's is the one in the Contemporary. :wave:

LeeSeeBabe

My boyfriend and I ate at Liberty Tree the last time we went in August. We had reservations and didn't know it was pretty much all-you-can-eat Thanksgiving style food. We also didn't know it was character dining either! I was so excited.

Great, great food. Characters are dressed up in Colonial-style outfits. They circulate pretty well too. Went we went Chip went crazy and started break dancing (doing the worm) with a kid that was trying to get him to. A CM and manager had to come over and stopped him. He was creating such a scene.

Back to the point. It is a great atmosphere. I don't know if the menu is the same everyday but we had salad, Turkey, Ham, mashed potatoes, mac-and-cheese, and DeSsErT! Their new way of working the restaurant is really great. We have reservations for Liberty Tree again in December!! Hope this helps! :slurp: I'm getting hungry

mrtoad

Liberty Tree is great for lunch as well though it is not character dining. At lunch you can pick from a menu which gives so many more choices. It is not too pricy and gives you a nice break in the day.

LeeSeeBabe said:
My boyfriend and I ate at Liberty Tree the last time we went in August. We had reservations and didn't know it was pretty much all-you-can-eat Thanksgiving style food. We also didn't know it was character dining either! I was so excited.

Great, great food. Characters are dressed up in Colonial-style outfits. They circulate pretty well too. Went we went Chip went crazy and started break dancing (doing the worm) with a kid that was trying to get him to. A CM and manager had to come over and stopped him. He was creating such a scene.

Back to the point. It is a great atmosphere. I don't know if the menu is the same everyday but we had salad, Turkey, Ham, mashed potatoes, mac-and-cheese, and DeSsErT! Their new way of working the restaurant is really great. We have reservations for Liberty Tree again in December!! Hope this helps! :slurp: I'm getting hungry

tigsmom

mrtoad said:
Liberty Tree is great for lunch as well though it is not character dining. At lunch you can pick from a menu which gives so many more choices. It is not too pricy and gives you a nice break in the day.

We had lunch here in August and it was very good and not all that crowded, but I really love their dinner. :slurp:

mrtoad

It is a must do for us each trip. It really is beautiful inside as well.

tigsmom said:
We had lunch here in August and it was very good and not all that crowded, but I really love their dinner. :slurp:

tigsmom

mrtoad said:
It is a must do for us each trip. It really is beautiful inside as well.

We only discovered this gem 2 years ago. It was the only place we could get into on short notice. I'm so happy we did! It has become one of my favorites

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom