Advice for an Upcoming First Time Trip

Mr. Sullivan

Original Poster
I want to preface this by saying that this isn't an issue *yet* but I'm trying to plan ahead because there's a chance it could become one.

So, I am due to visit Disneyland Resort for the very first time ever April 26-May 3. I booked this time knowing full well that Haunted Mansion was going to be down due to its queue redesign and that Tiana's Bayou Adventure would not be close to operational yet. Because I'm a generally nervous person though, I've kept my eyes on the calendar to watch for any other things coming up that may be down.

And I was gobsmacked to see that Incredicoaster is due to go down on April 8 with no end date known yet *and* Matterhorn due to go down on April 14 with no end date known yet.

Now, as I mentioned there is no end date for these refurbs listed yet and the calendar doesn't extend into my vacation dates yet so I don't know if they'll still be down when I'm there. But once we get to that point on the calendar, if those attractions are still down, I have to ask this big question:

Should I consider rescheduling?

This being the first time we've ever been and likely the last time we'll get to go for quite some time, the thought of missing Matterhorn, Incredicoaster, Haunted Mansion, and Tiana's all in one visit is really kind of hard to swallow lol, even having planned for the latter two in advance.

What do you all think? What would you do if it were to be revealed both attractions are still down by the time we're due to arrive?

mickEblu

I want to preface this by saying that this isn't an issue *yet* but I'm trying to plan ahead because there's a chance it could become one.

So, I am due to visit Disneyland Resort for the very first time ever April 26-May 3. I booked this time knowing full well that Haunted Mansion was going to be down due to its queue redesign and that Tiana's Bayou Adventure would not be close to operational yet. Because I'm a generally nervous person though, I've kept my eyes on the calendar to watch for any other things coming up that may be down.

And I was gobsmacked to see that Incredicoaster is due to go down on April 8 with no end date known yet *and* Matterhorn due to go down on April 14 with no end date known yet.

Now, as I mentioned there is no end date for these refurbs listed yet and the calendar doesn't extend into my vacation dates yet so I don't know if they'll still be down when I'm there. But once we get to that point on the calendar, if those attractions are still down, I have to ask this big question:

This being the first time we've ever been and likely the last time we'll get to go for quite some time, the thought of missing Matterhorn, Incredicoaster, Haunted Mansion, and Tiana's all in one visit is really kind of hard to swallow lol, even having planned for the latter two in advance.

What do you all think? What would you do if it were to be revealed both attractions are still down by the time we're due to arrive?

There are construction walls everywhere. If this is a once in a lifetime trip or a trip that’s not going to happen again for a long time I would reschedule for mid next year. It’ll be the 70th anniversary and everything will have received some TLC and should be up and running.

PiratesMansion

You'll probably still feel like you have more than enough to do at the parks even with those closures, particularly since it's your first time. I had to deal with surprise closures during both of my trips to DLR last year (including Space Mountain, my favorite ride), and it was honestly less bothersome than I was expecting and I still found plenty to keep myself occupied. That said, it probably depends on how important Matterhorn and Incredicoaster are to you as part of the package and whether or not you think it likely that you will be able to come back. But there's always the possibility that if you reschedule, there will be *another* surprise closure or two that would be an even bigger blow to miss.

Note that Matterhorn goes down for refurbs all the time, and there's not much you can do for that particular ride except to aim for the busier seasons and hope for the best.

If you keep your current dates, you'll get Pixar Fest and Season of the Force, which means Hyperspace Mountain, and the brand new Star Tours scenes will mean that ride will be more popular than normal. None of those things appeal to me personally, but if they interest you, they are unlikely to be repeated again (other than Hyperspace) anytime soon once they end this year. Disney has also announced that at some point, they will start redoing the entrance gates-not sure when that will be taking place, but it *could* make things a bit more unpleasant when entering a park.

If you wait (til when? Next year? Later this year?), you'll probably get a better fireworks show and/or enhanced entertainment if you go next year for the 70th, and near certainty that you would experience HM and TBA.

But there's no definitive right answer here IMO. It depends on what sounds better to you, how important the closed rides are to you, and how much of a hassle it would be for you to reschedule.

SuddenStorm

A first time ever trip to Disneyland without Haunted Mansion, Matterhorn, and with a Space Mountain overlay would make me consider rescheduling if possible.

007mickey

There are construction walls everywhere. If this is a once in a lifetime trip or a trip that’s not going to happen again for a long time I would reschedule for mid next year. It’ll be the 70th anniversary and everything will have received some TLC and should be up and running.

We are headed in mid May. Was curious, outside of Mansion and Splash, where are the other walls?

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
We are headed in mid May. Was curious, outside of Mansion and Splash, where are the other walls?
While I don't care for Fresh Baked's videos, he does do a comprehensive update every week of all the construction going on in the resort.

mickEblu

Currently construction walls pretty much go from Tiana’s Palace all the way around the entirety of Splash Mountain. Then you also have scrims in places like City Hall and the Firehouse in Town Square. Also one in Frontierland near the Stage Door Cafe. I’d imagine the a scrims will all be down by May but new ones may go up as they prepare for the 70th anniversary next year. The scrims aren’t the biggest deal. It’s really the construction walls that alter the ambiance of a good portion of the west/ best side of the park. Not to mention the fact that HM and Splashiana are both down. I expect the HM construction walls to still be up around mid Summer although they may shrink if decide to open up in phases and have the new Magnolia Park open first. The Splash Walls will probably be up until mid Fall or so.

Last edited:

kgoose23

I know these things are fluid but just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something as I am monitoring for our April trip. I currently see the incredicoaster down from April 8th to 18th (not on the closures for the latest available DL calendar day which is April 19th) and Matterhorn down April 15th -18th (again according to DL calendar). I was hoping to at least get my daughter on the Matterhorn for the first time as she is tall enough so that will be a bummer if it's another extended refurb. However my back will certainly not be sad!

PiratesMansion

I know these things are fluid but just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something as I am monitoring for our April trip. I currently see the incredicoaster down from April 8th to 18th (not on the closures for the latest available DL calendar day which is April 19th) and Matterhorn down April 15th -18th (again according to DL calendar). I was hoping to at least get my daughter on the Matterhorn for the first time as she is tall enough so that will be a bummer if it's another extended refurb. However my back will certainly not be sad!
If that's correct, than Matterhorn and IC should be open for OP's trip.

Mr. Sullivan

Original Poster
A first time ever trip to Disneyland without Haunted Mansion, Matterhorn, and with a Space Mountain overlay would make me consider rescheduling if possible.
Well thankfully there will be no need!

Matterhorn will be back and we're quite excited for the Space Mountain overlay. I know that we'll be missing the Disneyland exclusive music their standard Space Mountain has but I've got plenty of Space Mountain experience in Florida so I'm very much wanting to experience Hyperspace.

Mr. Sullivan

Original Poster
Yes, it looks like they'll be back so crisis averted!
If that's correct, than Matterhorn and IC should be open for OP's trip.
Thank goodness

Mr. Sullivan

Original Poster
Well for some reason unbeknownst to me, Matterhorn is going back on refurb 4 days after it reopens from the one previously announced and I am now officially confused as to what it is they're doing

kgoose23

Well for some reason unbeknownst to me, Matterhorn is going back on refurb 4 days after it reopens from the one previously announced and I am now officially confused as to what it is they're doing
I saw that as well! As mentioned earlier here I will be keeping my eye on FreshBaked updates from the park to see if there is any concrete info on this in the coming weeks.

PiratesMansion

Looks like they're doing a refurbishment during the weekdays and then reopening the ride on weekends. They were doing something similar with the Fantasyland dark rides when I finished last summer and they were working on refurbing the exteriors.

If that continues to be the case, Matterhorn will likely reopen once it hits the weekend.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom