Adventureland Veranda - Skipper Canteen restaurant

disney4life2008

Was able to eat lunch there yesterday.....easily walked up and had no issue getting a table. Food was decent, but by the time the afternoon arrived, they were having to place cast members outside to try to lure guests in!! I'm sure this will change, but there empty tables galore!

Interesting. I think the menu looks good.

dreamfinder

Was able to eat lunch there yesterday.....easily walked up and had no issue getting a table. Food was decent, but by the time the afternoon arrived, they were having to place cast members outside to try to lure guests in!! I'm sure this will change, but there empty tables galore!

If people can't make an ADR, they don't know about it...... But seriously, most people who planned made their ADRs weeks or months ago. And most people who didn't plan won't necessarily know that a) it is open or b) that they have tables.

donsullivan

Premium Member
I had the opportunity for lunch at Skipper's yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it. We figured we'd try it right after the 12PM Once Upon a Christmastime Parade. When we checked in we were told it would be 'up to 40 minutes' but within less than 30 seconds I got 2 SMS messages including one that alerted that our table was ready (total wait, less than a minute).

Within the group of 3 we had the S.A.E. SHU MAI appetizer which was absolutely amazing. It will definitely be a regular for me on future visits. I had Dr Falls Signature Grilled Steak and others had Curried Vegetable Crew Stew and Char Siu Pork. All three of us had the same reaction that the food was extremely well prepared and very well spiced. I always worry, especially in MK restaurants that the food will have all spice removed and be blanded out to within an inch of it's life. That was not the case on any of the items, most especially the SHU MAI, which was amazing.

I'm guessing that partly because it's very new, they were not full at all; we saw lots of empty tables in the main mess hall room we were in. We peaked into the other 2 rooms to get a sense of the decor and found there were a little more full than the larger mess hall space.

All in all I found it a very nice addition to the MK table service catalog and I'll certainly be back.

We learned yesterday they have stopped taking Tables in Wonderland but it's not clear if that is going to change in the new year or not.

Last edited:

sgtmgd

I would concur that folks should try it, but a signature dining experience it is'nt, beautiful decor, funny staff...definitely a different menu than anything in MK...but the food type was not to my liking all in all Im glad we did eat there but I wouldn't do it every trip.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I would concur that folks should try it, but a signature dining experience it is'nt, beautiful decor, funny staff...definitely a different menu than anything in MK...but the food type was not to my liking all in all Im glad we did eat there but I wouldn't do it every trip.
I didn't think that Disney was pitching it as a signature place? o_O So why bring it up?

sgtmgd

I didn't think that Disney was pitching it as a signature place? o_O So why bring it up?
They arent, but folks sometimes get swept up in the mania of a new cool place..which it is...but the food is still average..which isnt bad...again I have nothing bad to say, the menu just wasn't to my palate

donsullivan

Premium Member
They arent, but folks sometimes get swept up in the mania of a new cool place..which it is...but the food is still average..which isnt bad...again I have nothing bad to say, the menu just wasn't to my palate

The food is certainly not 'average' in any way, especially for Magic Kingdom. I think it was the best meal I've had in the park in many years. And as an Orlando local, I have had many, many meals in ever MK restaurant over many years. My biggest fear is that all of the wonderful flavors we experienced yesterday will get washed out of the menu thru guests choosing the location for the physical experience and then complaining about the menu because they 'don't like spicy foods' or 'they have nothing I like'.

That pattern has ruined many a good restaurant at WDW over the years. Too many guests (not specifically pointing at quoted poster here, making a generalization) choose the 'location' they want to eat at without looking at the menu and the complain about the food. Over time, that results in the homogenization of menus throughout the property we've experienced and everything being dropped to the lowest possible palate level of meat and potatoes, bland and boring.

Last edited:

grimb168

It is now showing up on my disney experience with no available times. Does that mean we might be able to make reservations soon? Is it on the dining plan?

Chris82

The food is certainly not 'average' in any way, especially for Magic Kingdom. I think it was the best meal I've had in the park in many years. And as an Orlando local, I have had many, many meals in ever MK restaurant over many years. My biggest fear is that all of the wonderful flavors we experienced yesterday will get washed out of the menu thru guests choosing the location for the physical experience and then complaining about the menu because they 'don't like spicy foods' or 'they have nothing I like'.

That pattern has ruined many a good restaurant at WDW over the years. Too many guests (not specifically pointing at quoted poster here, making a generalization) choose the 'location' they want to eat at without looking at the menu and the complain about the food. Over time, that results in the homogenization of menus throughout the property we've experienced and everything being dropped to the lowest possible palate level of meat and potatoes, bland and boring.

I share your frustration with the blandification of Disney World when it comes to attractions and theming (and the blandification has felt relentless to me over the last ten years or so), but I have trouble getting much bothered by it at restaurants. I feel like because a restaurant has a menu allowing multiple options, it is far more able than an attraction to offer a "both-and" solution rather than an "either-or," and paradoxically, the "both-and" can work out for adventurous folk as well as the chicken-finger-only crowd. I find that I have a lot easier time persuading friends and family to join me at a somewhat more adventurous eatery if I can assure them that there's something there for a picky eater, too.

If Disney is, in fact, restricting menu options to the bland side rather than going a "both-and" route, it suggests to me that there's something else going on. Picky kids and picky adults don't need the menu NOT to have weird curry items on it, they just need pizza to be on there somewhere with it (and it's ok to call it "flatbread"). If a menu item is removed, it would seem to me that either the demand wasn't high enough to justify it, or the economics didn't work out, maybe caused by the wackiness of the Dining Plan or something.

sgtmgd

Not average as in the type of food offered, I agree, no issues with portion size either I certainly didn't leave Hungary...but the food at the AKL which I would consider comparable certainly IMO was "better tasting" I think the Skipper Canteen will be very successful because it is different, the 6 of us that ate there 4 adults and 2 children 11 and 14 were split on their opinions, no one had a bad meal but only 2 of the adults said it would be a place the would consider eating at regularly, the 11 year old had no issues and would eat in a trough and be content by and large the other 2 adults myself included were glad to try it but would look at other options first (typically we eat at Narcoosee's) or another resort on the monorail line if at the MK all day. The 14 year old, liked part of her meal and not so much the rest..like most place some will love it, others hate it..most will fall in between...it has a fantastic theme and the the staff were great

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Not average as in the type of food offered, I agree, no issues with portion size either I certainly didn't leave Hungary...but the food at the AKL which I would consider comparable certainly IMO was "better tasting" I think the Skipper Canteen will be very successful because it is different, the 6 of us that ate there 4 adults and 2 children 11 and 14 were split on their opinions, no one had a bad meal but only 2 of the adults said it would be a place the would consider eating at regularly, the 11 year old had no issues and would eat in a trough and be content by and large the other 2 adults myself included were glad to try it but would look at other options first (typically we eat at Narcoosee's) or another resort on the monorail line if at the MK all day. The 14 year old, liked part of her meal and not so much the rest..like most place some will love it, others hate it..most will fall in between...it has a fantastic theme and the the staff were great
I hate to do this again, but it appears that you are comparing it to Jiko's at AKL and Narcoosee's at GF. Both signature restaurants. I would never expect that a non-signature restaurant would be at the level of a signature restaurant. You are comparing apples and oranges.

Is the food there better than Tony's? Better than Coral Reef? Those would be better comparisons, and the feeling I get from the posters here is that the food is much better than either of those.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom