"adventure is a banned word!" aka my first ever PTR!!

the one where no one knows where we're staying or how to get there!

Apologies for this not being as pretty as I would like. I need to get a handle on the coding here.

Anyway, hello! Welcome to my first PTR! I suppose I should start by telling you who will be in attendance,

2ba4f2ec69dc7003cf090aca5ecda442.jpg

This is me (Emma) and my fiancé Shane. We got engaged just over two weeks ago (squeal!) after being together for nearly two years. It's a very long distance relationship since I am from the south of England and he lives in SC. But we have a a very strong connection. Today is a very bittersweet day, as he flew back to the States after a two week visit. And while I am so excited as we have been planning for disney, I am missing him very much at the same time.

Anyway, I shall do my best not to mope and focus on the fact that We will be at WDW in 9 weeks!! Last year we decided that I would come to the states when I went on summer break from university. A simple visit to meet his family has now turned into an almost six week road trip starting in Orlando and ending in NYC, stopping to do at least one thing in every state we pass through. So Disney is just one part of a very long and exciting journey. BUT the Disney portion of the trip is mine to plan, since that is my area of expertise ;). Have I said Disney enough times in this paragraph? Disney.

Now, the last time I went to Disney was 2004 and I was 12. I has been dreaming of going for six year and it was even better than I could have dreamed. WDW obsession is in my blood, as my mother used to pore over guidebooks bought for her by Canadian relatives. My parents even had their honeymoon at WDW. Shane, however went last year with his best friend... Of which I was obviously not jealous. Which brings me nicely to explaining my title. Adventure is a banned word when either of us travel. It's a jinx. His last florida trip was dubbed an adventure and he got pulled over by the cops. Since then every time it is used during travel something bad happens. Therefore, at no point shall this trip ever be referred to as an adventure.

Anyway I'm afraid I don't have much to talk about in the way of actual plans yet, since we have nothing concrete. I know, I know, we have left it very late, I can hear a lot of the old hats at this weeping at the thought. But in bettween university, work, rehearsals and life, time has got away from us. Right now I do have a suitcase, and about $480 in cash to take with me (thank you to my uncle, who apparently just has that sort of currency just left over, need to be really nice to him all the time in future :p) We have many options for flights and accommodation and ticket, we are basically waiting to see what the most affordable ones are since we are poor people who are now saving for a wedding!

I will hopefully be updating weekly or when I have more plans in place. Sorry if this has been kind of long winded and boring. But I hope someone out there will stick with me as I plan this ad...I mean journey. ;)

Sandurz

While I personally am one of those to lock down my room 10-12 months out and have multiple drafts and revisions of my dining schedule, it seems really exciting to do it so spontaneously. And that's definitely a good way to save money, being that flexible. Might have to try it out sometime!

Congrats on the engagement! And I'm looking forward to watching all the details fill in.

EmmabaRose

Original Poster
Haha Well most of it is down to finances! I am a poor student and Shane is about to resume being a poor student. :p we are kinda go with the flow, it won't phase us if our first choice doesn't work out. It also helps that I can send money to Shane to pay for stuff in dollars, costing me half of what it would otherwise!

If it makes you feel better, I will probably make a million versions of our park schedule before May rolls around! :p

Thank you and as soon as I know more so will the PTR!

EmmabaRose

Original Poster
the one where I can fly! And, a surprise all-nighter!

So yeah... Weekly updating.... What happened to that idea? Well, mostly the fact that nothing happened for a while, so there was really nothing to post about. But as of tomorrow out trip is 3 weeks away!! If I survive uni assessments, i can't wait!

Also, I finally have flights! A tip: never underestimate the power of travel agents. As it is my first time flying by myself, I decided to book through a travel agent, so I had peace of mind that everything was arranged and as it should be. My very generous parents paid for my flights as my 21st birthday gift, so I wanted to get the best deal possible. We have been holding out and continually checking in with prices to see how they re rising and falling. But in the end with about six weeks to go I decided to hell with it, I need flights. At first a lot of the prices were coming back very expensive, and my heart was sinking. But then, we came accross a very decent price. We booked it then and there, and it turns out I got the last seat on the flight to Orlando! it was meant to be!

For those that are curious, I will be flying with British Airways into Orlando and back from New York for £576 inc taxes. For long haul flights from the Uk that is a very good price. Travel agents. More people should use them XD

In other news, last week TDO gave a us nice surprise for our trip by announcing the 24 hour MK opening, which is slap bang in the middle of our trip. As soon as I hard I texted Shane who replied:

"I want to stay as late as possible!"

This, ladies and gentleman, is why I am marrying this man.

Anyway, turns out I had planned MK for that night anyway, so just some extending some rest time during the day and we are all set to go. We plan to sleep in the afternoon, order pizza to our hotel so we have some energy behind us. And then stay as long as we possibly can before crashing. Followed by sleeping late the next day and heading to Universal later and closing it out.

So here is our plan of attack. Do feel free to let me know what you think of this. My thinking behind it is to use our park hoppers as much as possible and see two parks every day with a rest period in between, because, you know, it is a vacation after all. Also, none of these are set in stone, I arranged so we had an even spread of parks or thereabouts, but if we decide we are finished with one park but want to spend more time in another we can swap things out.

Florida schedule

Tues 21st May- land at MCO, rest, evening in DTD

Weds 22nd May- morning in magic kingdom. Rest time 2:30-6:30. Epcot evening.

Thurs 23rd May- morning in animal kingdom. Rest time 2:30-6:30. Hollywood studios evening.

Fri 24th May- morning in Epcot. Rest time 2:30- 8:00. Magic kingdom all-nighter.

Sat 25th May- Sleep late. All day universal studios.

Sun 26th May- morning in Hollywood studios. Rest time 2:30-6:30. Epcot evening.

Mon 27th May- morning in animal kingdom. Rest time 2:30-6:30. Magic kingdom evening

Tues 28th May- drive to SC

So yes, feel free to tell me if that schedule is completely horrid. XD. I promise from now til I leave PTR will be more frequently updated. As will the TR when it gets to that. Until next time!

jrab0616

We'll be in the World at the same time! None of our park days align though. We decided against going to the all-nighter at MK as that is the day we fly in and they have EMH until 3:00am on the 26th anyway. Anyhoo, we are doing: 24th-HS 25th-AK/DTD 26th-MK and 27th-EPCOT.

EmmabaRose

Original Poster
We'll be in the World at the same time! None of our park days align though. We decided against going to the all-nighter at MK as that is the day we fly in and they have EMH until 3:00am on the 26th anyway. Anyhoo, we are doing: 24th-HS 25th-AK/DTD 26th-MK and 27th-EPCOT.

Aaah, see we are not on site so we don't have the EMH, so that is our only chance at early hours MK. Your park days sound like a good plan, and you never know, if our plans change we might end up I the same park!

EmmabaRose

Original Poster
The one with 24 hours to go!

That's right folks! Awake far too early because pre-trip insomnia has set in. This time tomorrow I will be waking up to go to the airport!! I'm so excited! This time has been anticipated for eight years, the last time I was at the World aged 12. Hopefully my hair cut and dress sense has improved since then. XD

A few things have changed since my last update (but of course) but mostly for the better. The most exciting change for me is that we are now staying inside Disney!! Best Western Lake Buena Vista Resort here we come!! All about the Hotel Plaza. Shane got a fantastic deal on it, $59 a night with a complimentary continental breakfast. Yes please. It also has its own shuttle service which, if they work for us, will save us a tonne on parking. I am just excited to be in the bubble.

Another thing is that, we still don't have tickets yet!! I know, shocking organization on our part, but it has allowed us to change our mind on the kind of tickets we want. See, the schedule up there was planned with a park hopper ticket in mind, so that we could rest during the hottest part of the day. What I hadn't realized is that you can use the base ticket to re-enter the same park on the same day. Enlightening info for me. So, we decided that we are going to buy base tickets for our stay as it saves us some money, and them upgrade our tickets for the 24th to a hopper, as that is the only day we need to be in two parks (character breakfast in Epcot in the morning, and then 24 hour MK).

Speaking of the breakfast, turns out my wonderful fiancé has been planning some surprises for our trip. On the 24th we have reservations for a character breakfast some where in Epcot. He won't tell me where. XD I wasn't even supposed to know it was a character breakfast, I only figured it out because he told me we could get into the park early. Stupid over-informed self. Also, we have bookings for something at 5pm in MK the next day. This I have no clue what he is doing. When I know, so will the board. XD

So now our schedule looks like this...

the one where I can fly! And, a surprise all-nighter!

So yeah... Weekly updating.... What happened to that idea? Well, mostly the fact that nothing happened for a while, so there was really nothing to post about. But as of tomorrow out trip is 3 weeks away!! If I survive uni assessments, i can't wait!

Also, I finally have flights! A tip: never underestimate the power of travel agents. As it is my first time flying by myself, I decided to book through a travel agent, so I had peace of mind that everything was arranged and as it should be. My very generous parents paid for my flights as my 21st birthday gift, so I wanted to get the best deal possible. We have been holding out and continually checking in with prices to see how they re rising and falling. But in the end with about six weeks to go I decided to hell with it, I need flights. At first a lot of the prices were coming back very expensive, and my heart was sinking. But then, we came accross a very decent price. We booked it then and there, and it turns out I got the last seat on the flight to Orlando! it was meant to be!

For those that are curious, I will be flying with British Airways into Orlando and back from New York for £576 inc taxes. For long haul flights from the Uk that is a very good price. Travel agents. More people should use them XD

In other news, last week TDO gave a us nice surprise for our trip by announcing the 24 hour MK opening, which is slap bang in the middle of our trip. As soon as I hard I texted Shane who replied:

"I want to stay as late as possible!"

This, ladies and gentleman, is why I am marrying this man.

Anyway, turns out I had planned MK for that night anyway, so just some extending some rest time during the day and we are all set to go. We plan to sleep in the afternoon, order pizza to our hotel so we have some energy behind us. And then stay as long as we possibly can before crashing. Followed by sleeping late the next day and heading to Universal later and closing it out.

So here is our plan of attack. Do feel free to let me know what you think of this. My thinking behind it is to use our park hoppers as much as possible and see two parks every day with a rest period in between, because, you know, it is a vacation after all. Also, none of these are set in stone, I arranged so we had an even spread of parks or thereabouts, but if we decide we are finished with one park but want to spend more time in another we can swap things out.

Florida schedule

Tues 21st May- land at MCO, rest, evening in DTD

Weds 22nd May- morning in Epcot. Rest time 2:30-6:30. Epcot evening.

Thurs 23rd May- All day in Animal Kingdom. Stay until close/we finish up. Rest evening. Definite early night.

Fri 24th May- morning in Epcot (8:30 character dining res). Rest time 2:30- 8:00. Magic kingdom all-nighter.

Sat 25th May- Sleep late. Magic kingdom by 4pm (5:00 something res). Stay til close.

Sun 26th May- Universal/IOA day. Lots of Harry Potter world for Shane.

Mon 27th May- Hollywood Studios. Rest time 2:30-6:30. Hollywood Studios evening

Tues 28th May- drive to SC

I realize we have not given ourselves a lot of time to do everything in the parks. We are ok with this. This trip is not so much about how many attractions we hit, or how many characters we meet. It's about spending time together in the happiest place in earth on our first vacation together. Whatever we manage to do is a bonus. The way our relationship works, our time together is so precious, we want to make the most of every minute we have. And to us that is not dashing from one ride to the next trying to pack everything in. Knowing us, something memorable will happen wherever we are.

It also helps that he came to me a few days ago and told me he would be okay with an annual Disney Vacation. XD

Until tomorrow!

jrab0616

Sounds like a great plan and you're going to have so much fun!

I don't think you can upgrade just one day of your ticket to park hopper. You have to upgrade the whole ticket, but it's only about $60-$70 (for the whole week) I believe. That's definitely cheaper than buying a one day park hopper for that day.

EmmabaRose

Original Poster
Sounds like a great plan and you're going to have so much fun!

I don't think you can upgrade just one day of your ticket to park hopper. You have to upgrade the whole ticket, but it's only about $60-$70 (for the whole week) I believe. That's definitely cheaper than buying a one day park hopper for that day.

Yeah I just realised I misread the website. Thankfully because we haven't bought them yet we can still decide, since that makes it as expensive as the five day hoppers we were going to buy. So watch this space, we might be reverting back to schedule A!!

jkl2000

Yes! Supposed to be up in an hour but I am awake already.

LOL - you're off your schedule already!

This is the first PTR I've read (just signed up a few days ago), so it's kind of neat that you're at WDW right now! Hope you're having a great time - I'm sure you are. Congrats on your engagement - it was fun reading your PTR, looking forward to the Post Trip Report.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom