Advanced Dining Reservations

lebeau

Not that I want to start a whole somewhat off topic conversation here... but in your opinion, why were the parks better pre-ADRs?

With the exception of people who go on last minute trips to WDW (which must be a small #) I just can't see how the ADRs hurt.

Used to be, when you were hungry you could walk up to just about any restaurant and get a table. Sure, if it was a popular restaurant, you might have a wait. But you could decide whether or not that wait was worth it. If there was a wait, it was the same for everyone.

Now, that option isn't there a lot of the time. On our most recent trip, we had planned to stay off site. But the plans changed in Dec. With 4 months before the trip, I had to start scrambling for ressies. Even 4 months out, there were reservations I could not get.

In my opinion, that's just crazy.

We tried the dining plan for the first time this trip. I'll never do that again. What a waste! This ties into the reservations. In order to use our table service credits, we had to eat meals we had committed to 4 months earlier even though we weren't especially hungry. Otherwise, we'd have to attempt a dreaded "walk-in" which was unlikely to be successful at all but the least desireable restaurants.

The worst came on a rainy day at Epcot. We had ressies as Akerhus at 5:00. As soon as we arrived at the park, it started raining and it never let up. With a 4-year-old and an infant, we finally decided it was time to abandon ship. Everyone was simply miserable and no one was going to have fun if we tried to tough it out.

Of course, Akerhus has a $10/person cancellation fee if you don't cancel at least 2 days in advance. I was aware of this when I made the reservation. But I could not conceive of any reason I would cancel. Anyway, we decided it was worth $30 not to have to wait in the rain any more.

Only Disney didn't charge me $30. They charged me $40. Yep, they counted the baby even though we wouldn't have had to pay for her meal. I could handle the cancellation fee. I agreed to it when I made the reservations. But that extra $10 really stung.

$40 to NOT eat dinner. Yeow!

Obviously, that's not going to happen to every one. But to some extent, every one is being given a choice: commit to a rigid dining agenda months in advance or take your chances.

And your chances get slimmer all the time.

Making matters worse, people hedge their bets by placing multiple reservations knowing they will only keep a fraction of them. Honestly, I don't blame people for doing this. They are just manipulating the broken system Disney has put in place.

I could go on and on about the evils of DDP and ADRs. But I don't want to drift too far off topic. In short, I liked the way the parks worked better before these programs.

DrummerAlly

Used to be, when you were hungry you could walk up to just about any restaurant and get a table. Sure, if it was a popular restaurant, you might have a wait. But you could decide whether or not that wait was worth it. If there was a wait, it was the same for everyone.

Now, that option isn't there a lot of the time. On our most recent trip, we had planned to stay off site. But the plans changed in Dec. With 4 months before the trip, I had to start scrambling for ressies. Even 4 months out, there were reservations I could not get.

We tried the dining plan for the first time this trip. I'll never do that again. What a waste! This ties into the reservations. In order to use our table service credits, we had to eat meals we had committed to 4 months earlier even though we weren't especially hungry. Otherwise, we'd have to attempt a dreaded "walk-in" which was unlikely to be successful at all but the least desireable restaurants.

The worst came on a rainy day at Epcot. We had ressies as Akerhus at 5:00. As soon as we arrived at the park, it started raining and it never let up. With a 4-year-old and an infant, we finally decided it was time to abandon ship. Everyone was simply miserable and no one was going to have fun if we tried to tough it out.

Of course, Akerhus has a $10/person cancellation fee if you don't cancel at least 2 days in advance. I was aware of this when I made the reservation. But I could not conceive of any reason I would cancel. Anyway, we decided it was worth $30 not to have to wait in the rain any more.

Only Disney didn't charge me $30. They charged me $40. Yep, they counted the baby even though we wouldn't have had to pay for her meal. I could handle the cancellation fee. I agreed to it when I made the reservations. But that extra $10 really stung.

Obviously, that's not going to happen to every one. But to some extent, every one is being given a choice: commit to a rigid dining agenda months in advance or take your chances.

Making matters worse, people hedge their bets by placing multiple reservations knowing they will only keep a fraction of them. Honestly, I don't blame people for doing this. They are just manipulating the broken system Disney has put in place.

I could go on and on about the evils of DDP and ADRs. But I don't want to drift too far off topic. In short, I liked the way the parks worked better before these programs.

Wow, I can't believe Disney charged you for the baby. Thats really unbelievable. I can understand where you're coming from, especially with children - sometimes plans just have to be flexible with children.

This will be our first trip on the DDP, I think it will be a great deal for us and we're really excited that they offer it. We both know that we're too cheap to eat at a TS every day, even when we know we will enjoy it and can afford it. We're both people who would get the burger and fries on the menu even when we really want the steak, just because its $5 cheaper. For us the DDP relieves a lot of the stress by pre-paying and will let us have a nicer vacation, same goes for the ADRs. I made ADRs for restaurants I know we probably wouldn't think to go to when we're actually at Disney.

That said, we're the winners of the DDP & ADRs - two young people on a honeymoon with no kids, no schedule, and no commitments - ADRs will be no issue. We also got an ADR for every restaurant we wanted, at the exact time we wanted.

I'm sure in a few years when we try this again with children my answer to the ADR/DDP question will change.

tomm4004

Is it necessary to make advanced dining reservations months before your trip or can you usually get in to most of the restaurants without them? Will be there in early June.

It depends. We never have trouble getting what we want by making ressies the morning of. But you may not get your first choice or your preferred time. Be flexible. Lunch is usually easier. Hotel restaurants are easier on weekdays.

stlbobby

I have to assume someone made a mistake and just read the number of seats on the reservation, and didn't look at who was eating, when they charged your card. I would write an e-mail and complain. I doubt you'll get a refund, but you might get a voucher or gift card, and since you are on this board I assume you'll be going back. Disney is usually pretty good about keeping guests happy if they respectfully complain. I'd just keep it short and to the point and tell them that the situation doesn't live up to your idea of Disney service.

lebeau

I have to assume someone made a mistake and just read the number of seats on the reservation, and didn't look at who was eating, when they charged your card. I would write an e-mail and complain. I doubt you'll get a refund, but you might get a voucher or gift card, and since you are on this board I assume you'll be going back. Disney is usually pretty good about keeping guests happy if they respectfully complain. I'd just keep it short and to the point and tell them that the situation doesn't live up to your idea of Disney service.

I actually pointed out while I was on the phone that the 4th person was an infant and would not be charged for her meal. The cast member acknowldged that, said they were sorry and that there was nothing they could do.

If that's their policy, I'm fine with them enforcing it. I knew I was taking a chance when I made the reservation.

But for $10, they have one of their loyal customers complaining to other customers when I could have been telling a story about the great customer service I received from Disney.

And I don't think I'll ever made another ADR that involves a credit card hold. At least not until the kids are out of strollers.

In the grand scheme of things, it's not a big deal. And I fully acknowledge my culpability in the situation.

lbrad

I sooo agree with EVERYTHING you have said!!! We had a similar scenario on one of our trips. It is a shame...kids get sick even on vacation:cry:
No one plans on that 6 months ahead!!!

stlbobby

I actually pointed out while I was on the phone that the 4th person was an infant and would not be charged for her meal. The cast member acknowldged that, said they were sorry and that there was nothing they could do.

If that's their policy, I'm fine with them enforcing it. I knew I was taking a chance when I made the reservation.

But for $10, they have one of their loyal customers complaining to other customers when I could have been telling a story about the great customer service I received from Disney.

And I don't think I'll ever made another ADR that involves a credit card hold. At least not until the kids are out of strollers.

In the grand scheme of things, it's not a big deal. And I fully acknowledge my culpability in the situation.

Wow that really surprises me. Sorry to hear it.

Boray

When is the earliest date for making ADRs? When we went last year, it was 6 months before the date. I thought I heard that it was changing to 3 months, did that happen? Thanks! :wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom