Additional land owned by Disney in Anaheim?

TP2000

So, how long has the parking lot on the Southeast corner of Harbor and Katella been there? (or, in Disney possession, I should say?)

I've visited DLR since 2005 or so and had never seen anything related to that parking area until 2013.

The northern half of that parking lot, defined by the wall and line of dark trees in this photo below, has been in operation as a satellite CM lot since 1997. The southern half was the Fujishige family farm through the early 2000's. Disney had wanted it for decades, but Mr. Fujishige wouldn't sell and he ran a famous strawberry stand on Harbor Blvd there for decades. When he passed away a decade ago his heirs sold it to Disney for north of 50 Million.

IMG_2723.jpg~original

The southern half of that lot became the Toy Story Parking Lot for Disneyland visitors in the spring of 2010, and has been in daily operation since. With Disney purchasing the RV park 10 blocks north on Harbor, it's rumored the CM parking section will be turned over for visitor parking. Although it's theoretically the site of a future third park.

I've been at cocktail parties with people who have made a lot of money in Orange County real estate. When they are on their second or third cocktail they will mention that Disney owns quite a lot of additional property around that lot (mostly those 1960's apartment complexes surrounding Toy Story Lot), purchased and held by third party real estate agents contracted by Disney. It would be politically incorrect if it got out how much "affordable housing" Disney owns or has rights to in Anaheim, so there's quite a few chunks of Disney property that remain anonymously held.

teacherlady19

I would be curious to know whether Disney is still buying up the hotels, motels and other buildings that are along Katella and Harbor, adjacent to Disney property. If they wanted to continue in the Hospitality industry, they could sure do so by either remodeling or rebuilding some of those properties. I'd hate to see it happen, because we like some of those motels/hotels in the area which are affordable.

Donna

wild01ride

The northern half of that parking lot, defined by the wall and line of dark trees in this photo below, has been in operation as a satellite CM lot since 1997. The southern half was the Fujishige family farm through the early 2000's. Disney had wanted it for decades, but Mr. Fujishige wouldn't sell and he ran a famous strawberry stand on Harbor Blvd there for decades. When he passed away a decade ago his heirs sold it to Disney for north of 50 Million.

The southern half of that lot became the Toy Story Parking Lot for Disneyland visitors in the spring of 2010, and has been in daily operation since. With Disney purchasing the RV park 10 blocks north on Harbor, it's rumored the CM parking section will be turned over for visitor parking. Although it's theoretically the site of a future third park.
I've been at cocktail parties with people who have made a lot of money in Orange County real estate. When they are on their second or third cocktail they will mention that Disney owns quite a lot of additional property around that lot (mostly those 1960's apartment complexes surrounding Toy Story Lot), purchased and held by third party real estate agents contracted by Disney. It would be politically incorrect if it got out how much "affordable housing" Disney owns or has rights to in Anaheim, so there's quite a few chunks of Disney property that remain anonymously held.

Awesome and very interesting info - thanks!

I'm really curious how everything would work logistically if DLR opened a 3rd park at the Southeast Parking site?! Would they use overpasses (like the Las Vegas pedestrian bridges), tunnels, or do you think they would hold off on the park until they owned everything in between and simply "eliminated" the Harbor/Katella intersection?!

It's all very interesting!

Mondo Mouse

I've been trying to find out what properties/hotels/apartment complexes Disney owns along Harbor, Katella, Haster, and Orangewood. Does anyone know? Can anyone indicate the properties they own on a map or aerial pic? Any info is much appreciated!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom