Add on promotions?

rufio

Original Poster
My husband and I purchased 160 points at BLT in November 2010. While this has served us well over the last 4.5 years, we definitely do want to add more in the future, preferably either at AKL, GF, or Poly. We probably won't do this in the very near future...

We financed our points in 2010 and haven't even paid those off yet (refinancing in the next month or so to pay off within a couple years). We were young and a little dumb and got a terrible (TERRIBLE) interest rate, but we've gotten slightly wiser and want to buy outright the next time. What I'm wondering is whether there are regular add on promotions. I know I've gotten a ton of mail about adding on at Aulani (no, thanks). Is this because they're having trouble selling?

When you go back to add on is there any chance of getting a deal or are you stuck with rack rate?

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Aulani is the only resort with a promotion right now. I would think they are not having any issues with selling, hence no promotions. Resale would be the only way to save money right now, but you would have to decide if the trade-offs (can't use points for certain things), is worth it to you.

rufio

Original Poster
Aulani is the only resort with a promotion right now. I would think they are not having any issues with selling, hence no promotions. Resale would be the only way to save money right now, but you would have to decide if the trade-offs (can't use points for certain things), is worth it to you.

Is there a good resource that breaks down the difference between buying through Disney and buying resale? We bought our initial contract through Disney so I'm not clear on what the difference really is.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
When you buy resale you are excluded from using your points for the following: Disney Collection - which includes Disney Cruises, Adventures by Disney and any other Disney Resort (including DL, Paris, etc.), and the Disney Concierge Collection, which includes many other resorts and high-end hotels across the U.S. You can still use your points for trades into RCI and the Buena Vista Trading Company. Most people think that using your points for anything other than a DVC resort isn't a good use, but others disagree. That is an individual choice.

In essence, if you are planning at only using your points at a DVC resort, then buying resale will save you a lot of money. If you think there is a chance that you would ever like to use your points towards a cruise or other destinations (other than trading out), then you have to buy direct.

We have bought direct twice already, but that was when the points were under $95. We do plan on adding on, but will have to take a hard look at the additional price of buying direct versus the restricted usage of the points that we add-on via resale.

Please let us know if you have any other questions. Happy to help!

Seanual757

The current DVC promotion is double your points is get 1 yr of points free (well not 100% free as you are spending an arm and a leg for DVC).

My wife and I purchased DVC 2 weeks ago we did 200 points at GF and because we signed up we were given another 200 points. Out 2015 points start 8/1/15, and our 200 points DVC gave us were retroactive to 8/1/14 so we are using 60 points over July 4th weekend @ Saratoga Springs and we will bank the remaining 140 so they will roll over to 8/1/15 giving us 340 points starting 8/1/15.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Wow, neat! I haven't seen that promotion advertised anywhere. The only one I see is adding on at Aulani. Good going!!

Seanual757

Yea that was what we were expecting as well until he offered us the additional 200 points. I am all for a week at Aulani but Hawaii is out for us for a few years with a 7 month old.

gmajew

Premium Member
I have been thinking of adding on as well lately just don't know how much to add on.

Also if I want just for my current home hotel is it not better to buy resale?

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I have been thinking of adding on as well lately just don't know how much to add on.

Also if I want just for my current home hotel is it not better to buy resale?
As long as you know that you will never want to use those points for a cruise, or AbyD, or any other Disney non-DVC resorts, then resale is a much better deal.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom