1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Adam Ruins Everything - How Mickey Mouse Destroyed the Public Domain

Discussion in 'Disney Co News & Discussion' started by BuddyThomas, May 25, 2016.

1. BuddyThomas

BuddyThomas Well-Known Member

Just saw this segment on Tru TV's Adam Ruins Everything. Thoughts?

2. ewensell3

ewensell3 Well-Known Member

Copyright rules on audio recordings are even better. In a nutshell audio recordings were covered under various state rules until 1972. None of them had any automatic expiration provisions. There are currently no audio recordings in the public domain that was not put there intentionally by their rights holders. The pre-1972 catalog enters the public domain in 2067, unless lobbying efforts of various interested parties is successful. The copyright of all other recordings created after 1972 expire 70 years after the death of the last surviving author. Again, depending on lobbying efforts.

PS - I thought WDC converted Mickey to a Trademark so he could be protected indefinitely.

Last edited: May 25, 2016
    WDW74 likes this.
  3. JakeSpadaro

JakeSpadaro Well-Known Member

I've normally only seen the copyright for Mickey not a trademark, but Mickey won't ever go into public domain regardless.

4. imthewalrus79

imthewalrus79 Member

First, I have to agree with some of the YouTube comments that take issue with calling Walt himself a hypocrite when he passed long before any of this copyright extension stuff started.

While I can see how it can be nice to have works enter the public domain where you are free to take those characters and stories and adapt them, I can just as easily see the Disney Company's view. They are a still thriving company that uses Mickey and the other Disney and Pixar characters to promote their brand of family entertainment. If Mickey were allowed to enter the public domain, there's no legal reason someone couldn't do something like put him in a South Park style show or something. Obviously, Disney doesn't want that; so I'm sure they'll keep fighting every time they have to to make sure that Mickey stays out of the public domain and they can continue to control how he's presented. And I can't blame them for that.

5. AEfx

AEfx Well-Known Member

Early Mickey will, and they will give it up willingly. It's the only way they will be able to convince anyone that somehow legally Trademark trumps Copyright. It's a battle that Disney will again be on the forefront of. In short, the Trademark laws were not written with the idea that someone would copyright and trademark the same thing, thereby skirting the laws around them. The only logical thing for them to do is then separate the Mickey character into "classic", "modern", "contemporary", etc. eras. and let the old Mickey go. If you notice the resurgance in "early" (black and white) Mickey merch the last few years - I think you'll discover this is why.

Disney simply does not have the political power it did in the 1990's, they won't be able to pull what they did last time and get the laws rewritten for them. There is a reason it was called the "Mickey Mouse Act" unofficially.

6. OliveMcFly

OliveMcFly Well-Known Member

I really like this show and I have to watch this episode. When did it air? Is it available on the TruTV app yet?

7. Minthorne

Minthorne Well-Known Member

Im in love with Adam. That's all I know.

Master Yoda likes this.
  8. Magenta Panther

Magenta Panther Well-Known Member

I hope Disney will fight to keep the ownership of Mickey "into infinity...and beyond". The Copyright Laws need to be changed, period. If a character or IP is still in use by a company when the copyright expires, then that company should be given the opportunity to file a new copyright for it. I don't see how that could be considered "unfair". A character is not like a car or a telephone, where someone who didn't invent something can use that something to improve that something when its original copyright expires. A character that is still robust should belong to the company/person that invested to develop that character. THAT is fair. Plus, we all know what would happen to Mickey if someone else could legally exploit him. The parodies are ferocious enough. I don't want the same things that have happened to Oz to happen to Mickey and the gang...

Corey P, brb1006 and Flippin'Flounder like this.
  9. BuddyThomas

BuddyThomas Well-Known Member Original Poster

It was earlier this year but the entire segment is linked above.
    ;)