? about Star Wars weekends

HunnyPot

Hello all! I'm not a huge Star Wars fan, I enjoy the movies but I'm not what you would call a huge fan. Anyway, I was wondering if someone could explain to me what makes Star Wars weekends special. We were planning a trip in the fall of 2008 but now one of the friends we're going with wants to go for Star Wars weekends instead. I don't mind going, it's just a lot hotter in the summer and I figured it might be more crowded. So, we're just trying to figure out if the SW weekends are worth changing the trip. I would appreciate any thoughts! Thanks!

I've been to Star Wars Weekends several times. The main difference between those weekends and any other time is the abundance of Star Wars merchandise available and all of the photo ops with Star Wars characters. I usually don't bother waiting in line for authgraphs from the film stars as it's usually not the *main* stars from the films and when it is, they're usually stars I've already met at previous weekends/SW events. Basically, if you're interested in getting your picture taken with Darth Vader, Chewbacca and other Star Wars characters, then this is your time to go. But if you're not all that interested in that sort of thing, then it's not really worth changing the dates of your vacation just to be there for it.

Upvote 0

Iakona

1. Photo ops with the characters.
  2. Chance to possibly meet one of the actors from the films (never done this).
  3. Lots of Star Wars stuff to buy (as mentioned).
  4. 101 st is usually there making the parade a huge spectacle of Star Wars characters.
  5. Star Wars trivia game.
  6. Jedi Training Academy (for kids).
I am sure someone like MasterYoDA will be able to add to the list above.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
  1. Photo ops with the characters.
  2. Chance to possibly meet one of the actors from the films (never done this).
  3. Lots of Star Wars stuff to buy (as mentioned).
  4. 101 st is usually there making the parade a huge spectacle of Star Wars characters.
  5. Star Wars trivia game.
  6. Jedi Training Academy (for kids).
I am sure someone like MasterYoDA will be able to add to the list above.
You pretty much covered it. Two minor corrections. I did not see trivia listed this year and it is the 501st. The 501st is also not there on every day in fact I did not see them at all this year but they do make for an impressive show when they are there.

If you are not a big Star Wars fan I would not recommend SWW. They have been becoming increasingly busy to the point where the parks are nearly unbearable. If you are not interested in autographs and you can get there about an hour before opening on an EMH day you can get quite a few of the character pictures in a short amount of time but by 10:00 or 11:00 that side of the park will be packed.

Upvote 0

Iakona

You pretty much covered it. Two minor corrections. I did not see trivia listed this year and it is the 501st. The 501st is also not there on every day in fact I did not see them at all this year but they do make for an impressive show when they are there.

If you are not a big Star Wars fan I would not recommend SWW. They have been becoming increasingly busy to the point where the parks are nearly unbearable. If you are not interested in autographs and you can get there about an hour before opening on an EMH day you can get quite a few of the character pictures in a short amount of time but by 10:00 or 11:00 that side of the park will be packed.

Thanks for the corrections. We are not going this year so I have not been paying close attention to the schedule. Too bad about the 501st. They are great to watch.

One other cool thing is that at the park opening they have clone and storm troopers stationed on some of the roofs doing "crowd control." My son loved that.

Upvote 0

carebearsrgr8

Thats strange I just watched a whole thing on Star Wars Weekend. LOL anyway the only thing that I dont think I saw anyone mention was the open Q&A sessions they do. That looked kinda neat if your a nerd like me :p

Upvote 0

HunnyPot

Original Poster
Thank you so much to all who responded! I really appreciate it, and would have been back sooner but our computer has been down for the past few days. We're working on convincing the only member of our party that SWW isn't worth changing the trip dates...since he's the only one who wants to go for it. I really appreciate all the responses and information! Thanks again!

Upvote 0

Momx3

We were just there on Friday. I am a huge SW fan so I loved it. We went just to see the parade which was fun, the music alone made the hair on my arms stand up. We bought some merchandise, I got a tee-shirt, and got a picture with the Storm Troopers from Tatooine. They had the dirt on them which I thought was a neat touch. The Storm Troopers were on the roof as we came in and my kids thought that was cool. Earlier in the week we were at MGM and my kids all got picked to do the Jedi Training Academy. They got to fight Darth Vader which was so much fun for them and me! We didn't wait to see anyone else or the actors, it was very crowded but I'm glad we went.

Upvote 0

JeffH

Has anyone ever actually been to Star Wars weekends?

We attended 2 days of Star Wars weekends this last month (our first), the 1st weekend and 3rd weekend.
The MAIN attractions were:
>The special Star Wars parade
>The 'talk show' in the ABC Theatre lead in by the hilarious 4 storm trooper routine, and hilarious intro film, where the 2 (real) stars are interviewed by the 'host' star, Jay Laga'aia (Captain Typho)
>The Star Wars 'story' in the ABC Theatre
>The Jedi Training Academy
>Autographs from the 3 stars each weekend (Jay and the 2 others)
>and the MANY Star Wars 'characters' doing meet and greets including:
Anakin Skywalker (my daughter fell in love with him...1 of them looked just like Hayden Christensen)
Mace Windu
StormTroopers
Princess Padmé Amidala
Chewbacca
an Ewok
Darth Maul
Jedi Mickey does his meet and greet in the Sounds Dangerous theatre
and some weird aliens and a lot of star wars music
>I didn't notice any 'extra' star wars stuff for sale, but back where Mickey normally does meet and greets they were selling exclusive Disney/Star Wars merchandise (there was a LONG line just to get into the 'store' when I checked it out.

We had a great time and came back for more:D

Upvote 0

AEfx

This is my strategy as well. I was able to be there at opening, and in the first hour do the merchandise (no line at all vs. 2+ hours later in the day), do some pics, and get the heck out of dodge. The next day I stopped by at night to see the dance party thing (I almost cried when I saw Chewie doing the Electric Slide...my God, Lucas allows that? LOL), and the place was mega-packed.

The celebrities are, frankly, not worth it to me to stand in line for hours to get a signature. If it were Carrie Fisher or Mark Hamill sure, but not for who they get. They are great and all, just not worth my Disney time.

The merchandise is, I hate to say, probably the coolest part next to pics with Darth Vader and Palpatine. Now I despise so-called "merchandising events", but there really is some cool stuff at SWW. Neat messenger bags with "SWW 2007" logos, LE pins (this years replica of the SW poster with Mickey was cool, but the 2007 writing is so small you need a microscope to read it LOL), and the beanies are always cute. However, last year's big hard-to-find beanie, Jedi Mickey, was sitting in buckets in the Star Wars store this year, so I'm assuming Luke/Leia Minnie/Mickey beanies from this year will see an open edition and reduced prices before next year so I didn't get them this year. I did pick up one of the bags, a pin, and a couple of other trinkets. I like the hats, but didn't have a 2007 one (just generic SWW) so I didn't get one.

I find the atmosphere cool, the music, the Stormtroopers milling about...but unless you are a SW geek, or a really big fan, it's probably not worth the crowds and such.

AEfx

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom