A Week Of...???

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Smart Ones go on sale at least every month here in NJ at Target, 3/$5. I can't imagine paying $4 for one. They're always the cheapest of the Smart Ones/Lean Cuisine/Healthy Choice bunch (not that the others taste any better).

I buy them if I'm not in the mood to think about food or want to eat some portion-controlled dinners for a few days to drop some weight--but I learned real fast to stay away from any that contain meat. It's just rubbery and ugh. I can't imagine subsisting on them for a week. englanddg, you're a brave man!
Food prices are much higher in Canada.

I'll give you a for-instance - the price of a Big Mac (not a meal, just the sandwich) is $4.99.
What are you all paying?

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Original Poster

I'll give you a for-instance - the price of a Big Mac (not a meal, just the sandwich) is $4.99.
What are you all paying?
I'm not sure. If I were to guess, around $3.99 or so. I think the whole meal with drink is something like $7, but I don't eat at McDonald's enough to know off hand.

LAM378

What are you all paying?

Sheesh. I knew prices were higher up there but not like that. Those are just ridiculous prices for foods like Big Macs and Smart Ones. I'd guess our McD's prices in NJ are probably the same as englanddg's, give or take. I know the two-cheeseburger meal with fries and drink is $6.79, because I bought one the other day for my brother, but now I'm curious--I'll check the price of just the sandwich next time I volunteer to bring him lunch. It's not $4.99, though!

englanddg, I have to admit that even after reading your reasoning in your initial post, I'm still like, Why would someone do this? I haven't been around long enough to know your story so I'm wondering--do you live alone or with other family members? And if you do, how are you going to live on Smart Ones for a week while they eat normal food?

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Original Poster
englanddg, I have to admit that even after reading your reasoning in your initial post, I'm still like, Why would someone do this? I haven't been around long enough to know your story so I'm wondering--do you live alone or with other family members? And if you do, how are you going to live on Smart Ones for a week while they eat normal food?
I live alone and I was bored.

I like to menu plan, and I like to cook. All last week I made asian dishes, but I've been in the process of clearing out my fridge / pantry over the past few months, and now I have almost nothing on hand.

So, I thought I'd start with this before I go into something else and start actually having to plan efficient menus for the week.

Though, depending on how I feel on Friday, what I'm considering for next week's self-challenge probably won't involve much cooking either.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Original Poster
I am looking at the sodium content. Please make sure you are flooding yourself with water during this experiment, or else you're going to end up feeling (and looking) like the Michelin Man at the end! :eek:
Today I was around 400 mg short of the recommended daily. We'll see what happens.

I've been a heavy water drinker for about 3 years, ever since I had a severe bout of dehydration that sent me to the hospital a few years ago. I drink between 40 and 70 oz of water a day, outside of drinks with meals.

Cesar R M

You know, I am slow.

I JUST got your joke... hahahaha
That's okay - me too.
by my glorious manlyness.. I forgive you both ;)

Week 1 - Day 1 - Meal 2 - Chicken Quesadilla

Busy day, so a late lunch.

Chicken Quesadilla. The box says it has grilled white chicken meat, cheese, peppers and onions folded into a crispy flour tortilla.

Hrm...it comes with little "crisper" pockets, like a Hot Pocket.

And, the filling is square and resembles a frozen hash brown from McDonalds. I'm not sure what this is going to turn out like.

Two minutes in the microwave produced this. Lots of crusty burned cheese around the edge. But, the center looks allright. Also, not sure what is up with the greasy spots on the flour tortilla, but meh.

But, to be fair, the filling is quite gooey and is very well spiced. I don't really get the "chicken", so they must have diced it up pretty small. But, it's not bad.

One can of Coke Classic, and lunch is served!

Like breakfast, this was sweeter than I expected. There is certainly a lot of sugar in the tortilla. The tortilla shell crisped up fairly well, but otherwise wasn't very good. I can't say it was awful, though. It tasted almost exactly like the tortillas on microwave burritos that you'd get from a gas station.

But, the filling has a good bite to it, without being overly spicy. It certainly does taste like a quesadilla. While this wouldn't be my first choice considering how easy it is to make a fresh quesadilla, I'd still eat it again.

Meal Metrics

Chicken Cheese Quesadilla, 12 oz Coke Classic

Total Cost - $1.86 ($5.54)

All percentages are based off the recommended 2000 calorie Daily Values.
Daily totals in parenthesis

Calories - 350 (780)
Fat - 10% (24%)
Sat Fat - 13% (33%)
Cholesterol - 5% (28%)
Sodium - 22% (52%)
Carb - 22% (40%)
Fiber - 27% (36%)
Protien - 22% (84%)
Vit A - 0% (84%)
Vit C - 0% (254%)
Calcium - 15% (116%)
Iron - 4% (56%)
Vit D - 0% (200%)

Meal Grade (purely subjective) - B

Dinner is next!

good bless your experiments.. all for the SCIENCE gods!

Cesar R M

What are you all paying?
the price seems similar as of that of Mexico, BigMac is 6 USD approximately for combo (4.5 USD sammich only) or the equivalent of 69.99 Mexican Pesos.
I was disappointed that each and every meal does not allow for at least oven prep.

It's all microwave. Every last one. In fact, they even say on the package that it's microwave ONLY.

I dunno,maybe it says "microwave only" due of their cooking containers?

removing the stuff and heating them on the oven might damage the food like the sour chicken. but I have no idea how it could damage the quesadilla.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Original Poster
I dunno,maybe it says "microwave only" due of their cooking containers?

That's what I was thinking. Frozen meals normally have "microwave" and "oven" instructions. These flat out tell you not to use the oven.

removing the stuff and heating them on the oven might damage the food like the sour chicken. but I have no idea how it could damage the quesadilla.

I am sticking to their preparation instructions throughout this week. But, I was hoping to be able to use the oven, as frozen food can actually turn out ok from the oven. Not amazing, but tasty. Stouffers has many dishes that do really well when oven baked that aren't nearly as good after being microwaved.

Namely...Swedish Meatballs and their Lasagna. :p

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Original Poster
As inexpensive as the dinners are, have you thought about buying an extra and trying your own ideas for preparation (oven, skillet, etc) and comparing how they come out?
I hadn't thought of that. It's an interesting challenge...maybe for the future.

But, I also know how to cook. Were I to have to prepare them, I'd probably just cook for myself. :p

Cesar R M

That's what I was thinking. Frozen meals normally have "microwave" and "oven" instructions. These flat out tell you not to use the oven.

I am sticking to their preparation instructions throughout this week. But, I was hoping to be able to use the oven, as frozen food can actually turn out ok from the oven. Not amazing, but tasty. Stouffers has many dishes that do really well when oven baked that aren't nearly as good after being microwaved.

Namely...Swedish Meatballs and their Lasagna. :p
aah yes, pastas usually get horribly soggy when in microwave.. same with pizza.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Your in-depth reviews of these various meals is very helpful. On occasion, I've bought a few frozen meals, while others I've passed by, because I wasn't sure if they'd be as appetizing as the picture on the box. However, with your experiment, I'd place it in the same category as reviews done by (as a hypothetical example) Consumer Reports, giving your unbiased opinion of the taste, texture, quality, etc. So now, if I decide to buy a frozen meal or two, I'll know ahead of time which ones are good, and which ones to avoid.

Lastly, if you tire of this experiment and decide to go back to cooking your own food, I think you'd have the blessing of most (if not all) of us! (Another option, down the road if you got bored with the frozen food, would be to substitute maybe 2 meals, and cook your own for the third.)

Whatever you ultimately decide to do, this experiment so far, makes for some very interesting reading! :happy:

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Original Poster
Week 1 - Day 2 - Meal 1 - Turkey Sausage, Egg and Cheese English Muffin

Another morning, another meal. Didn't wake up as well this morning, but I'm not sure if that anything to do with diet or not. I slept in. So, late breakfast. But first, metrics.

My weight this morning was 208.3 lbs. My BMI (body fat) is 26.7%. My hydration is 55%.

To the kitchen!

No ornate description on the box. Just "Turkey Sausage" with "egg whites and cheese". And, it looks like the cheese exploded in the freezer.

Wrapped in a paper towel (per package directions) and 2 minutes later...wonder how it turned out? It's pretty hot...

Well...breakfast is served. And, I must admit, the picture doesn't do the sandwich justice. It looks a lot better in the picture then it does in person. In person, it just looks sad.

The OJ wasn't very good, again. Though, I didn't dislike it as much as I did yesterday. I hope I don't get used to the taste of this!

The sandwich? Well, it was ok. Really no taste to it at all. The muffin was decent. But, everything else was not. The sausage had almost no taste, the cheese was practically non-existent. The eggs were bland, which is shocking since the eggs yesterday were actually pretty tasty. Also, the sandwich goes from really hot to really cold in the blink of an eye. First bite burnt my tongue, but by the end (which was only a few more bites) it was already getting cold!

I have this slated one other day this week, but I may swap it out for something else (I will have another muffin sandwich with ham leftover, if you look back, so maybe that will be better?).

I pretty much love anything egg/cheese/sausage in the morning. This was a massive disappointment. And, this is no joke, I've had breakfast sandwiches from QT (a gas station here in the SouthEast) that tasted better than this.

Meal Metrics

English Muffin Sandwich with Egg, Cheese and Turkey Sausage, 8 oz Non-fat Milk, 8 oz Enriched OJ, 1 Centrum Mens, 1 Coffee (black)

Total Cost - $2.18

All percentages are based off the recommended 2000 calorie Daily Values
Calories - 440
Fat - 12%
Sat Fat - 14%
Cholesterol - 11%
Sodium - 25%
Carb - 23%
Fiber - 9%
Protien - 48%
Vit A - 84%
Vit C - 254%
Calcium - 96%
Iron - 54%

Meal Grade (purely subjective) - D

See you at lunch!

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Original Poster
Are you going to get enough fibre?

If not, I see a cranky @englanddg by the end of the week. You might need a whole lotta rhubarb to BM.
Looking at the numbers, I'm not sure. I may need to supplement. Medimucal here I come! I...um...didn't have any issues this morning, however.

<grumble grumble Meg>

What's amazing to me is that today's breakfast was 10 calories more than yesterday's...and yesterday's was MUCH better.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Original Poster
Week 1 - Day 2 - Meal 2 - Fettuccini Alfredo with Broccoli

It's only been 4 hours or so since I ate breakfast, but I am starving. So, time to break out lunch!

Fettuccini Alfredo with Broccoli. This is one of the few dishes that is certified Vegetarian. It has, according to the package, fettuccini tossed with "tender" broccoli in a cream parmesan sauce.

Hrm...we'll see. <grin>

2 and a half minutes later, and it's time to stir. The sauce strikes me as very...um...white and plastic looking. Rather boring. But, the dish doesn't smell bad at all. Looking good!

Another minute in the microwave and then letting it rest for 1.5 minutes results in this. Looks pretty good! (sorry about the foggy lens, there was a LOT of steam when I opened it up).

This isn't bad. Not the best fettuccini alfredo I've ever had, but for 3 minutes of cook time and $1.99, I really can't complain!

The broccoli, what little there is of it, is excellent. There were a few decent sized chunks in there, but not enough, in my opinion.

But, it is good. So good that I could just eat a bowl of that broccoli and be perfectly content. The noodles are overcooked, and have a strange consistency. Rubbery, for lack of a better description. And, even though I was careful to try and get them separated during the stirring step midway through cooking, several of them still clumped together.

The sauce is not bad, much better than I expected from how it looked during cooking.

But, the whole dish, outside of the broccoli, could use a bit more salt (even though the sodium content is already pretty high at 570 mg). If I were to guess, I suspect it's because they went with a reconstituted parmesan instead of the good stuff. Real parm has a nice bite to it that gives a salty experience to the pallate without adding too much sodium to the actual dish.

Ah, lunch is ready!

Overall, it was a good meal. I'd eat it again, though I still wish it had more broccoli! This is the second dish I've had where the vegetables were great, and in this dish, the broccoli should be the star. So, good lunch!

Meal Metrics

Fettuccini Alfredo with Broccoli, 12 oz Coke Classic

Total Cost - $2.35 ($4.54)

All percentages are based off the recommended 2000 calorie Daily Values.
Daily totals in parenthesis

Calories - 390 (830)
Fat - 5% (17%)
Sat Fat - 8% (22%)
Cholesterol - 1% (12%)
Sodium - 26% (51%)
Carb - 28% (51%)
Fiber - 20% (29%)
Protein - 11% (59%)
Vit A - 6% (90%)
Vit C - 30% (284%)
Calcium - 15% (111%)
Iron - 8% (62%)

Meal Grade (purely subjective) - B

Dinner is next!

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom