A WDW Memory...

DarkImage4

Original Poster
Just randomly this morning I was filling out a WDW poll in one of the other forums...and I got hit with and amazing memory, complete with a wave of emotion.

I know we all have thought of the World that bring a tear to our eye, but I literally got choked up.

I was answering the question, "What id your favorite monorail color?"

I typed "red, then purple", and as I hit the letters, I had a vivid memory of my wife and I, sitting at breakfast in the Concourse Steakhouse in the Contemporary.

My wife is a 4 year old at heart, so everytime a monorail would glide through the lobby, she'd say, "Hi Red" or "Hi Lime", or whatever train was going through. It was cute and made us both smile.

The last day there was really sad. After 12 days of one of the best trip we've ever had, it had all come to an end.

That day over breakfast, as the first train came through, my wife said, through stifed tears, "Bye Blue".

We both nearly lost it....

Right now reliving it, hearing my wife's tone of voice both ways, the happy 4 year old, and the sad wife....I'm crying. I'm sitting at my desk at work crying. The memory is just so vivid and real, and seeing and hearing it in my mind just brings back every feeling and emotion we felt that last day.

You could say it's very bittersweet...

That trip was my first "real" trip to Disney, and the beginning of my mania about WDW. On the other hand it hurts so bad to think of it. My mind doesn't know what to think, I'm crying and sad, but there's a faint smile under it all.

Anyone else have that one memory like this?

Erika

That is a real sweet memory. One moment that sticks out in my mind is sitting at a character dinner with my now-husband at Liberty Tree, and then feeling torn as I heard the parade pass by outside. It was our last night in the Kingdom and we had not yet been able to catch the parade. He saw the look on my face and laughed, paid the server, and pulled me out the door. By then the crowd was pretty thick and we were as far back as you could get. He picked me up and put me on his shoulders like a little kid (there was no one behind us, not to worry). The other kids on their dads' shoulders all looked at me in bewilderment, and I saw a few characters do some double-takes (probably wondering, "who's that real tall girl???). I still laugh out loud when I think of that evening. It was pretty cool :king: and I have to give the guy a lot of credit for not only putting up with a freak like me, but indulging my obsession as well.

Shaman

I've been going to Disney since I was real young...

But there was a time where we didn't go to Disney for like five or six years...then one year we went up to Disney...I was excited because it would be my younger brother's first trip since he was three...so he really didn't remember much from that trip....my fam and I bought our APs...at Epcot...and we headed towards SSE...we got in...I was so excited....and as the ride vehicle went up the dark ramp section at the beginning of SSE...I closed my eyes and remember thinking even whispering almost...I'm finally here..., then I leaned over to my brother and said...you're going to like this ride...

That trip was the first time I went to AK...and the first time I realized I would never again be able to ride Horizons...*sigh* but it was a great trip...

That was like seven years ago or so...but I still remember it like it was yesterday...

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
That's a great story!

The closest thing I could offer to that would be after about the fourth time we were ther, and we were driving back to Sanford to catch the Auto-Train and I said:

"Hey! I've got an idea! Maybe we could go back again next year!"

And my wife said: "I'd rather stick red-hot spikes in my eyes.":lookaroun

:lookaroun

Not quite as sweet, is it?

Shaman

garyhoov said:
That's a great story!

The closest thing I could offer to that would be after about the fourth time we were ther, and we were driving back to Sanford to catch the Auto-Train and I said:

"Hey! I've got an idea! Maybe we could go back again next year!"

And my wife said: "I'd rather stick red-hot spikes in my eyes.":lookaroun

Not quite as sweet, is it?

She really said that?

jesserin

What a great memory to have... One of my favorites when I think of Disney was my first trip with my now-husband. At the time we were in college and dating and he had never been to WDW... he indulged my obssession and we planned a 15 night trip to my favorite (soon to be his) place in the world... It happened to be over my birthday so he decided to wait and get me a card while we were in WDW... thinking there would be many to choose from - at the time there was not a card to be found and he was so disappointed (he told me this later) so he went to the front desk of the All Star Sports (still my favorite hotel) and asked for some hotel stationary - and drew me the perfect Mickey birthday card... (I found out that he is a great artist!)

It was perfect and now sits in my favorite Disney scrapbook... everyone loves to look at it and it always brings back memories of our perfect trip!

TAC

We were leaving WDW to head home one trip, and I said "Bye bye until next time Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Pooh, Tigger...." And my wife said in her best Eeyore voice, "I'd knew you'd be leaving." :tears:

Boo's Mom

My sister, cousin, me and other family members had been going to disney for quite some time when my younger cousin went for the first time. She talked the whole way down to disney, all week long about disney to the point that she was hoarse for the car ride home. It was like vacation laryngitis :lol: as soon as we got home, she told us that she couldn't wait to go back and asked if we could go back the following week.

another memory is she finally tried to ride tower of terror which my grandmother prevented her from doing for 2 years (youngest grandchild-protective nature) When we got off tower of terror, she had this look of terror on her face like she was going to cry....she sat there in the basement area when you get off the ride for a minute, wouldn't answer us when we asked her how it was, then said "Lets ride it again!!"

The first year that Tower of terror opened, my aunt decided to ride it with us. She made us go on it first to tell her how it was. We told her it wasn't bad :lookaroun she rode it and cussed like a sailor. poor kids on that ride learned a whole new vocabulary :lol: that was one of the funniest times I've had on tower of terror. she didn't like the anticipation of making it to the drop. she said as it was dropping, she was fine but the moments leading up to it freaked her out. After riding TOT, we went to see the little mermaid show. my other cousin kevin asked her what she wanted to do because they didn't want to see the show....she said lets go ride tower again.......11 times in a row. to this day,she hasn't rode it since. I try to talk her into it every year to no avail :lol: the idea of it dropping more freaks her out for some reason which is weird because she said the drops don't bother her.

no wonder Tower of Terror is my favorite ride.....too many exciting things have happened on it! :lol:

Gucci65

My story is a repeat as well, but near and dear to my heart.

It was the first time I was taking my daughter to WDW (she was 22 months) and had a pacifier that she did not want to let go of. Before the trip, we keep asking her if she was going to give it to Mickey. Prior to this trip she was terrified of characters (ie: Barney) in person. TV was okay, but live was a whole other story.

Minnie was actually the first character we meet. I walked her up there expecting the worse, but was shocked when Minnie knelt down and Lindsay just sat in her lap.

Next up, Mickey. When it was finally our turn, she went running up to him. No fear (thank goodness). And she DID say to Mickey "here's my babies (that's what she called her pacifier), don't drop or Mom will have to drive a lllooonnnngggg way to wash it". He took the pacifier and I crying my eyes out. Relief that she gave up her pacifier, relief that she wasn't scared and overjoyed at how everyone had treated her that day. To me the CM's go out of their way to pay attention to the little ones.

Many more special memories, but that one was the first to ever have me in tears inside the park.

Sorry, gotta go find a tissue now. Thanks for letting me tell my story again.
Oh, we have been twice a year since then and she is now 13!

dandaman

My earliest memory was me saying, "Look, Mommy! A train!", when we walked through those MK gates for the first time.

DarkImage4

Original Poster
I forgot to mention...this was on our honeymoon...

Love reading everyone's memories....

Lemme get some Kleenex before someone wonders about the big crying guy in the corner.

MKCP 1985

^^especially if you tell them you just received your bill for the trip. ha ha ha, just kidding.

Having gone as a kid, then having worked there and having met a fellow cast member who became my wife, and now having gone as a parent, I can attest to the strength of positive memories from that central Florida real property.

The greatest memories for me, at this point, are of seeing and remembering the pure joy reflected on the faces of children at the parks. What a rush!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom