Trip Report A Very Dapper, Not So Scary, Sept-Oct Trip Report

Welcome, first off, thank you for deciding to read my trip report. This is my second ever trip report, I hope it turns out better than my first one! If you would like to read that, there is a link in my signature. I also invite you to check out my pre-trip report here.

Cast- Myself, and my wife, Cara. We are both 31 year old New Yorkers. This is our 3rd trip to Disney together, since we started dating in 2007, but the 2nd this year.

When- We left New York, Saturday, September 27th at 7:00 am, and left Orlando, Saturday, October 4th, at 8:00 pm.

Why- Ever since our trip in January, we had been talking about going during, Epcot Food and Wine Festival. We also found out about this event called Dapper Day, and wanted to visit during Halloween season. All three of these happened during this week, so it was like the perfect storm. 30% off the room helped, as did wanting to go back with a group of 2, instead of 7.

Where- For the first time (in forever) ;) we stayed at the Boardwalk Inn. After our last visit, we knew we wanted to try something besides AKL, which we liked, but it was too far from the action. We love Epcot, and knew we want to stay at an Epcot resort. BWI was the cheapest of the the three (by far) this week, so there you have it.

PMC0849

Original Poster
Day 1 - A Very Dapper Day
We woke up at about 4:15 am, to get ready for the car picking us up at 5:00 to go to Laugardia Airport. We assumed our room would not be ready, so we wore our Dapper Day attire on the plane. As it turns out,w e could have left a little later, there was no traffic, and LGA was dead. We also got sent to the TSA Pre-Check lane, which was super fast! We were off to a good start. Our flight left, right after 7:00 am, and departed on time. I watched "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" on the plane, Cara slept. She couldn't understand how I was not tired. Too excited, in a few hours I would be at Disney World!!!! We arrived at the Magical Express line sometime around 9:30ish. Now, in January, we were on the same flight, just on a Monday I think, there was nobody in line for DME, it was packed this time. I wonder if it was because it was a Saturday? Anyway, we had to wait for a second bus going to BWI.

IMG_3023_zpsc5045e0f.jpg

IMG_3017_zpsedd8f83c.jpg

IMG_3018_zps078e1fa2.jpg

We arrived at BWI, and the CM helping us at the entrance immediately knew we were there for Dapper Day. Oh, for those of you who are unaware, Dapper Day is an event put on by a group not affiliated with Disney. It originated in DL, and they have more, and bigger events there, attendees can get there hair done on site in DL, and they have room discounts there for people attending the event. It recently has expanded to DW, and DL Paris. The perks they have at DL haven't come to DW, or DLP yet. This years Dapper Day Fall Soirée event, was being held at DHS, and after park closed at the Boardwalk area. Anyway, we arrived and checked in at BWI, our room was not ready, like we assumed, Cara went to fix her make up and hair, while a checked out the lobby a bit.

IMG_3022ps_zpscb13c243.jpg

We hopped on the friendship, we had to wait a bit for it. Several people, who were clearly heading to DHS for Dapper Day also got on, at every stop. Our first FP was for Star Tours, the last two trip we took, that was the first ride we went on, and Cara, would like that to always be the case. We were late for our FP, by 10-15 minutes, but it worked! We got a "tour" I have never seen before, where you go to Hoth, and get chased by Boba Fett through an asteroid field. I loved this version, "Empire Strikes Back" is my favorite SW movie, and getting to see these scenes was awesome!! Usually, I see one where you are in a pod race, than go to Naboo and nearly get eaten by monsters underwater. Meh, I am not a fan of the prequel stuff. After Star Tours, it started raining, so we spent some time in the gift shop, it only rained hard for a few minutes, and we ventured out once it was a light drizzle. We had a little time to kill before our ADR at the Sci-Fi Drive in, so we just kind of walked around. It was really fun seeing other people who were there for Dapper Day, several would smile and greet you with "Happy Dapper Day!" when they saw you. People who were not there for the event, looked at you funny, or would ask, why everyone is dressed up. Almost all the CMs were aware, and would say "Oh, my you are all very dapper today", there were a few CMs who asked why everyone was dressed up. While we were waiting for our ADR, we bumped into to this delightful fellow.

IMG_3026_zpsa5766bf1.jpg

There was no line for Pluto, and chatting with him, killed the perfect amount of time. You can see our little Olafs here, they ended up acting as fans, and since it drizzled on and off for awhile today, they got kind of destroyed. Poor Olaf. We had a short wait at the Sci-Fi drive in, they were turning away walk-ins today, which was crazy, it didn't look all that busy. We decided to come here, since, we didn't care for '50 Prime Time Cafe too much, we had never been here, and they had fried pickles. D'oh! the waitress forgot to bring us the pickles, and our sandwiches were so big, we didn't want to waste them, we were so full. We shared an oreo milk shake, Cara, had the reuben, and I had the Salmon BLT.

IMG_3027_zpsf3d39e37.jpg

IMG_3028_zps1049eb8e.jpg

Another Dapper couple, enjoying the Drive-in
IMG_3031_zps435c089e.jpg

IMG_3034_zpse184fa98.jpg

IMG_3036_zps60aeb98c.jpg

IMG_3038_zps055a12a2.jpg

IMG_3039_zps88d1a4d1.jpg

Salmon BLT
IMG_3040_zps39c6e8ae.jpg

Reuben
We enjoyed the Sci-Fi Drive-in, the sandwiches were good, the atmosphere was fantastic! I had fun. I will say, next time, we might share a sandwich, they were pretty big. After lunch, it was time for our FP for TSMM!!

IMG_3041_zpsbeaeb6f5.jpg

993543_636504484436_1500236544986949855_n.jpg
IMG_3043_zps3d056137.jpg

I won, but can never seem to do better than this. Any tips?
After TSMM, our room was ready. I had made a deal with Cara, that we could go back to the room, and rest for a spell, if we could stay at MK later for EMH. So, we headed back to the boats. By this time Cara, also was ready to change shoes, try as she might, walking through DHS in heels couldn't be done for long. Many girls were having this problem today.

PMC0849

Original Poster
We were staying at the boardwalk the same week as you. You may have seen us-the family of five that looked like drowned rats most of the week!

Hmm... there were a lot of people who looked like drowned rats that week, lol. But there is a good chance our shoes may have been in the dryer next to yours, if you ever used a laundry room on the 3rd floor.

You two are so cute (and Dapper!). Looking forward to more of your adventures. We were there the same week, checked into Boardwalk on the 29th.

Thank you! it was a lot of fun. I loved Boardwalk! How did you like it?

Reading along :) Boardwalk is where we'll be staying for the first time NEXT fall (sigh, long wait) and I can't wait!

We booked this trip about 60 days out! On the plus side, you have a short wait, on the negative side, a lot of dining reservations we unavailable. It didn't help that this was during free dining. I hope you are going during food & wine, it was an amazing event. We are already talking about coming back next fall because of F&W, and MNSSHP.

PMC0849

Original Poster
Day 1 - A Very Dapper Day - Part 2
When we got to the boat pickup, there was a rather long line, and we had to wait for a 2nd boat. But we chatted briefly with another couple that was there for Dapper Day, also informed a few people of why everyone was dressed up at the park that day, and enjoyed watching the fish, and turtles in the lake.

IMG_3044_zps1ec391e0.jpg

A turtle
IMG_3045_zps954feaa0.jpg

Long lost member of the McDuck family?
We got back to the Boardwalk and got checked into the room, our bags were waiting for us. Cara laid down for a little while I read up on the stuff in the welcome packet and, browsed the internet. I am too excited once I get to Disney to take naps. I also snapped a few pictures around the room.

IMG_3047_zps56e4eeb2.jpg

IMG_3048_zps95322ea1.jpg

IMG_3052_zps284a1950.jpg

My blue suede shoes, and Mickey Mouse socks!
IMG_3053_zps1202ef41.jpg

View from our room.
We had a view of the Eiffel Tower from our balcony! We could also kind of see Spaceship Earth, but it was hidden by many layers of trees. Overall I thought the rooms at BWI were bigger than AKL, and while we couldn't see animals out side our windows here, there were a lot of other things to love. After laying down for awhile, and changing into her flats, and out of her heels, Cara was ready to head back to DHS. I left my camera in the room, so the next group of pictures will be taken from my phone. We decided to grab a couple of margaritas on the Boardwalk, and walk to DHS. It was only about a 15 minute walk from BW, it started raining a little bit about half way there, but nothing to heavy. We got back to DHS, right as we finished our margaritas. This was the last day that the Backlot Tour was operating, there was supposed to be a group ride of it at 4 pm for the Dapper Day folks, but we didn't make it back in time for that. We went right to this ride, neither of us had done it before.

2014-09-27173253_zpsb94933c7.jpg

2014-09-27173255_zps5bf322f6.jpg

2014-09-27175358_zps8d0f359f.jpg

2014-09-27175912_zpsda7c8361.jpg

Okay, Studio Backlot Tour, it was mildly interesting. I can see how it has lost a lot of it's value since the actually studio no longer operates. It also takes up a lot of space, that could easily be used for more Star Wars or Pixar stuff. After we the backlot tour, there was a Dapper Day group ride for the Great Movie Ride. We got to this in time, but, there was a 90 minute wait! One girl was saying that the Dapper Day crowd broke the great movie ride. It was really fun seeing everyone dressed up in the line.

2014-09-27181939_zps43147182.jpg

2014-09-27181944_zpsb2e809fc.jpg

2014-09-27184100_zps505d25b2.jpg

Yay! Detroit Lions!
2014-09-27185717_zps4b087bb2.jpg

2014-09-27190310_zps7760bd1f.jpg

We only waited about 25 minutes, luckily. In January, we did not ride the GMR, we just didn't have time. I always enjoy this ride. I know a lot of people think it needs an update, but come on, "Wizard of Oz", "Casablanca", "Alien", "Singin in the Rain", these are timeless classics, you can't take these out. We got the gangster hijacker this time. I got a kick out of a kid behind us, he was maybe 12 or 13, and when we got to the "Alien" scene, he put his fingers in his ears, and put his head in his mom's lap. Come on, it's not that scary, is it? It is also my favorite part of this ride. After GMR, it was time for our FP for Tower of Terror! This is my favorite ride, in all of WDW, every time we leave, I am disappointed we didn't ride it enough, even if we ride it many times.

2014-09-27192738_zpsba53e7d0.jpg

PhotoPass_Visiting_Studios_7068989625.jpg

After we rode ToT, we noticed Fantasmic started in a few minutes. Neither of us has seen it before, and we were never willing to get in line an hour before it started. The guy informed us at the entrance that we would be in standing room only. Well, after a very long walk to the stage, another CM said there was still plenty of seats left. So, we got a seat in the Scar section. I will warn you, almost none of my pictures turned out well for this, but I will post a few anyway.

2014-09-27202357_zps8f85814b.jpg

2014-09-27202637_zpsd63f76a9.jpg

I thought Fantasmic was fun, I was amazed by the kids wearing the ears that lit up with the music to the show. I would like to see it again, but, I am not going to go out of my way to see it. Another last minute entry sounds right to me. There were going to be Frozen fireworks tonight too, but Cara, did not feel like seeing them, she was more concerned about getting food before we headed to MK. I regret not seeing these fireworks, as this was either the last night, or second to last night they were doing them. We really didn't take part in any of the Frozen summer stuff, for one thing, all of it had about 90% of the crowd at DHS that day, and while I enjoyed Frozen, I wasn't about to spend hours waiting for anything inspired by it. Not like it's anywhere as good as "The Little Mermaid", right? We made our way back to the friendships, the captain loved how we were dressed, and kept wanting to talk to us. Some woman behind us, kept expressing here befuddlement, at how all these people could dress up like that in this heat, and than continued to loudly voice her disapproval, I just kept thinking why does she care so much? The people there for Dapper Day, do not affect your day in any way. Unless you wanted to ride the GMR at 6:00 when there was an 90 minute wait, lol. We got off at the Swan and Dolphin, since it is a shorter walk to BW from there, than the remaining boat ride. We decided we would just grab a bite on the BW. I don't remember the name of the stand, and I didn't take pictures of the food. For those of you that like food pictures, say tuned, I promise a plethora of delicious food (and drink) pictures in the coming installments. I had a chili cheese dog, Cara had a meatball sandwich, and we shared some onion rings. I have never had bad onion rings at WDW, the chili cheese dog was fine, and Cara said here sandwich was good. We had a choice to make, stay on the BW and continue with the Dapper Day festivities, or head to MK for EMH which went to 1 am. It took me about half a second to decide. MAGIC KINGDOM!!!! We went back to the room and changed, we had been dressed up since before 5 in the morning, and had sweat quite a bit. Up next, the conclusion of day 1, our late night at the Magic Kingdom!!

PMC0849

Original Poster
Following along...enjoying your trip report. I personally love seeing the people dressed up at HS. Thanks!

It was a lot of fun! Most the people were mid-twenties to early thirties, but there were people of all ages. Even some families with babies and toddlers dressed up.

You both look very dapper! How fun! Enjoying your TR... can't wait to see how you enjoyed EMH in MK!

Thank you! EMH at the MK are the best EMHs. That's why we couldn't miss them.

Dapper Day looks like fun! How did you find out about it?
Can't wait to read more!

I can't remember how I found out about, but I think it was via instagram. http://dapperday.com/ here is there website, it has all the info about upcoming events, and links to their twitter, facebook, and instagram, and a whole lot of pictures.

Dapper Day looks like so much fun! Looking forward to reading more of your report.

It was so much fun, I can't wait to do it again. Whether that's next year at WDW, or a weekend trip to LA and a stop at DL, which I have never been to...

PMC0849

Original Poster
Day 1 - A Very Dapper Day - Part 3
We arrived at MK, just as the fireworks were ending. So we we had an upstream battle trying to get in. We decided to duck into a gift shop for a few minutes, to try to let the crowds disperse a little bit. We were both getting a kick out of the halloween decorations. We had never been to WDW near any holiday, so seeing MK with a few different decorations was cool. Also, I prefer Halloween decorations to Christmas .

IMG_3058_zps14fc3143.jpg

IMG_3060_zps87ff1cc5.jpg

IMG_3062_zpsd3c751fa.jpg

I love Louie's tie here
IMG_3064_zps0d1528a8.jpg

IMG_3065_zpsc6b3fce7.jpg

After the crowds cleared out a little bit, we went to Space Mountain. Cara, had talked a lot about riding SM several times this trip. There was a 30 minute wait but we decided to go for it anyway. It was probably closer to 20 minutes. Oh Space Mountain, I can not stop laughing on this ride, once it gets going, I just start laughing, and can't seem to stop. It is my favorite ride at MK, probably. We headed toward New Fantasyland from Tomorrowland, where we got in line to ride the teacups. There was pretty much no line, but, EMHs had officially started, and it took forever to scan all the magic bands of people waiting, and than explaining to some people why they could not go on the ride. There has to be a faster way to do this.

IMG_3066_zps93aabc76.jpg

IMG_3068_zpsfb178d47.jpg

"I liked teacups before they were cool..."
The teacups are a classic, they are fun, the ride always seems too short. I am always afraid of getting too dizzy, so we always stop the thing from spinning, and start turing it the other way, maybe not the best way to ride. One thing I had never noticed before, was the dormouse popped his head out of the tea kettle every now and then. I tried to get a picture of this, but failed. Oh well, next time. We wandered through New Fantasyland, we wanted to see how long the wait for the Mine Train was, but it was over an hour, so we kept going, and decided to go on Haunted Mansion.

IMG_3070_zps327640f1.jpg

I love the tombstones here.
Haunted Mansion, is always great. We both love it, and while it is not a thrill ride, it is easily one of our favorites, same with the next ride we went on, Pirates of the Caribbean!! Not much was running in this part of the park this evening, Pirates and the Flying Carpet ride were open. Not much else in Frontier or Adventureland. The Blackbeard effect wasn't working, we could hear his voice, but the projection was not there. I always enjoy Pirates, it is one of the rides we always ride multiple times every trip. We walked past the mine train again, but still too long for us. So we went to Little Mermaid instead. I went on this our last trip, but Cara did not.

IMG_3072_zpsd574c6c3.jpg

IMG_3074_zps3aa96dda.jpg

IMG_3077_zps50a7c293.jpg

Why is it that King Triton gets real hair, while all the others just have plastic hair?
I like Little Mermaid, it is my favorite Disney movie, so I enjoy it. Cara, on the other hand, does not like that it is just a slow ride, recreating the movie, which I get. I too wish there was something new to this, but I still enjoy it as is. We weren't sure what to do next, we kind of just walked around for awhile, and decided to go on Dumbo, which I have not been on since 1989.

IMG_3081_zpse1716509.jpg

It was about 12:30 after we got off Dumbo, Cara asked if we could go back to the hotel, so we did. We should have stopped by SM on the way out, but oh well. I guess we had been up for about 20 hours, so sleep was a good idea too. The line for the bus back to BWI was really really long, I was worried this would be a problem the rest of the trip, but luckily it was only this night. We had to wait for the 3rd bus. We realized too late we could have taken the Yacht and Beach club bus too, which was a much shorter line, D'OH! I think there must have been a convention at the Swan and Dolphin, because only a handful of us got off at the BWI. There were still some Dapper Day people hanging around the Boardwalk area when we got back, but we headed to our room, and crashed. Up next day 2, eating and drinking around the world at Epcot Center!!

ladydi

Hmm... there were a lot of people who looked like drowned rats that week, lol. But there is a good chance our shoes may have been in the dryer next to yours, if you ever used a laundry room on the 3rd floor.
I did use the laundry room but not for shoes. If you pack your wet gym shoes with dry newspaper, they are dry by the next morning. Part of Mickey Magic!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom