A Strange and Weird "Friend of" Story

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
So I was at another board today, and the subject of "Friend of" came up. (And if you don't understand that term, just think that a character can't talk in "costume")

I have been lucky enough to know the original "Friend of Mickey" that Walt hired when opening Disneyland (Main Media character), an amazing guy away from work.... (and take a guess at his height ;)

I also got to meet the voices of Mickey and Minnie multiple times, Wayne Allwine and Russi Taylor. Someone pranked me, and I came into a meeting room, and we were discussing business, when out of the blue, Mickey started talking, and then Minnie responded. talk about "What the Heck" moment..... Everyone else knew what was going on, and the laugh was on me. But WELL worth it. Got to meet them a few more times. Shame that Wayne has passed on.

But the BEST prank pulled on me (Disney related) was that I was requested to head to Club 33 for a special event (I know, tough life...) and that I needed to be a "date" for one of the guests. (aka Host for an invited guest), so sure. So it was another set up, as my date was Margaret Kerry, the original Tinkerbell (the model that Walt used). So here I am at the head table sitting next to one of the most wonderful people I have ever met, we still are in contact with each other, and my wife isn't even jealous :)

A good SeaWorld story, the first time my wife went with me to SWSD, I arranged to get special access as a treat. Little did I know they had a character planned to give me grief, but treat my wife with love. I had to laugh when the "friend" sat down at lunch and said he got me good! Also, I got to know Mark Wenzel as a teen. (He was known as Lagniappe the Mime at New Orleans Square).

As for being on the other side, I have been Bud Man, a monster at Knott's Halloween Haunt, a St. Pauli Girl (don't ask, it was a very strange promo), a friend of the Famous(KGB) Chicken, and even a friend of Woody....

But then again, how many folks can say that Snoopy was part of their wedding party.

VJ

Yeah, well, I met Mickey Mouse at Disneyland once.. Got invited to his Movie Barn and everything!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom