A Spirited Valentine ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
In the news department, WDW (this may be old news here again as I've been out of the loop a bit) has recently cracked down on three (to my knowledge) bloggers/podcasters (two who I am familiar with and one that I have never heard of) for reporting things that are false.

My very strong opinion isn't that said bloggers are truly being singled out for false stuff. That stuff has been put on the 'net since the mid-90s when fan talk online was in its infancy. No, I firmly believe that Disney is attacking the fake stuff because they're (other naughty word for angry) that a lot of true stuff is being leaked out and they don't have a clue how to stop it. Even owning so many of these BRAND advocates.

Starting to wonder what I might be able to leak before next month's shareholders meeting (where the Q&A will be embarrassing as always).

PiratesoftheHM

@WDW1974 any update on the planned DL SW fireworks show? Is RDCT truly staying through the summer? Guessing SW Fireworks put off until 2018 to coincide with Episode VIII, and sounds they are using RDCT to soften the TOT blow.

WDW1974

Original Poster
This is disappointing. I had been hoping that Disney and Shendi would want to take its first mover advantage and execute on Phase 2 in the coming years. Drag and drop items like Everest are too easy and would help add variety to the park.

Sometimes it seems like they forget that if they add great stuff it attracts people...

The new hotel is a plus and needed too.

Oh, it is happening. It just isn't going to be a rush job, which was sorta the plan if either the park opened to huge crowds and was bursting or if it opened to collective yawns over its attraction lineup, which I still find rather weak.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Not sure I can even respond to allegations that Disneyland Paris wasn't overbuilt at the beginning. I'll just pretend that wasn't said because it's too nonsensical to consider. Hong Kong Disneyland was purposely build in the mold of WDW's Magic Kingdom and MGM Studios- that is to say they didn't want to deal with potential fallout from huge spending and attendance problems that they saw at EPCOT and Disneyland Paris. Yes, HKDL was too small when it opened and had too few attractions. That issue has been mostly rectified and the park is expanding the boundaries again with both new expansions. Being too small is a much easier problem to address compared to being too large- something Paris has never really recovered from.

I find it nonsensical to even suggest it. But, hey, I've heard fanbois crowing about DLP being closed and most of the resort being turned into a Walmart type center and people took them seriously too. "Alternative facts" will get ya every time. DLP opened with the perfect roster of major and minor attractions in 1992 and still needed expansion quickly, which they got from the planned Phase II of Discovery Mountain, Casey Junior, Storybook Land and The Old Mill ferris wheel (that has been an ice cream stand for many years now). They needed more and quickly ... I almost forgot that the Indy coaster was fast-tracked and added before the attractions above. Paris hit the sweet spot at opening (leaving the rest of the resort out of it). HKDL was woefully short on Opening Day due to close to 60% of the original menu being cut (see any of my 234 posts on this topic)/

The size of the park at opening in 2005 was realistically 40 acres. 10 years late it was around 60 acres. In 10 more years it will be closer to 70. And if the next phase is greenlit (past Frozen/Marvel) then the park will be right around 75 acres- or exactly the same size as Disneyland's used acreage today. Given the much lower attendance and attraction count, I'm fine with the physical size.

I'll just say there's more to a park than size. Look at how big EPCOT is and how little there is to see and do if you don't want to spend hundreds more on dining and drinking and shopping.

And are you really upset over any park's 6 year plan of receiving a net of 4 new things to do along with several other re-done attractions? In addition to the new lands, Iron Man and the other major expansions that have come on line over the past decade?

2005- Park opens
2006- Autopia/Stitch
2008- it's a small world
2011- New Land - Toy Story Land (3 minor rides), Flights of Fantasy Parade
2012- New Land - Grizzly Gulch (1 major ride)
2013- New Land - Mystic Point (1 major ride)
2014- Paint the Night
2016- Iron Man Experience
2017- Moana Show
2018- Ant Man
2019- New Castle/Hub
2020- Frozen Land (1 major/1 minor ride)
2023- Marvel Land/Avengers Ride (1 major/1 unconfirmed minor ride)

Toss in a few resorts too...

I'm not sure what else Hong Kong can do for you if you think that they've been lazy... I'm pretty such most people around here would kill for 10 completely new rides, a few overlays, several new shows and 5 new lands (most of which are/will be unique) all to be installed into a park.

That is true, but also an unfair way of approaching it. Disney woefully underbuilt on Lantau. Only now is that starting to change and there still needs more. To say that a park that opened in 2005 needs almost 20 years before it has a full roster is just sad.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
In the news department, WDW (this may be old news here again as I've been out of the loop a bit) has recently cracked down on three (to my knowledge) bloggers/podcasters (two who I am familiar with and one that I have never heard of) for reporting things that are false.

My very strong opinion isn't that said bloggers are truly being singled out for false stuff. That stuff has been put on the 'net since the mid-90s when fan talk online was in its infancy. No, I firmly believe that Disney is attacking the fake stuff because they're (other naughty word for angry) that a lot of true stuff is being leaked out and they don't have a clue how to stop it. Even owning so many of these BRAND advocates.

Starting to wonder what I might be able to leak before next month's shareholders meeting (where the Q&A will be embarrassing as always).

They did crack down...trying to figure out what I said that was false...Worldy the World Showcase lagoon monster has gone on a terrible killing spree, I believe they did buy the rights to the Saw franchise and were considering a UoE overlay, Iger made money as a youth peddling nose candy, the "Nuts, Nuts, and More Nuts" Chip N' Dale coming of age story is about to hit the stores after all the plot kinks were worked out, Slayer playing at Food and Wine for 10 straight days, and dining packages were once again going to include the tip. I think I had everything well sourced and researched. Hmmmm.....

Last edited:

Nemo14

They did crack down...trying to figure out what I said that was false...Worldy the World Showcase lagoon monster has gone on a terrible killing spree, I believe they did buy the rights to the Saw franchise and were considering a UoE overlay, Iger made money as youth peddling nose candy, the "Nuts, Nuts, and More Nuts" Chip N' Dale coming of age story is about to hit the stores after all the plot kinks were worked out, Slayer playing at Food and Wine for 10 straight day, and dining packages were once again going to include the tip. I think I had everything well sourced and researched. Hmmmm.....
I believe you George. Don't let them take you away....

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
I'll just say there's more to a park than size. Look at how big EPCOT is and how little there is to see and do if you don't want to spend hundreds more on dining and drinking and shopping.

I've been told many, many times that I'm an old weirdo that romanticizes the EPCOT of my youth and young adulthood and that it is great now. Perhaps I am just missing the awesome new attractions. I have vaguely enjoyed the new airport lounge sans alcoholic beverages that sits atop Imagination in an area where I used to play. Actually, "vaguely enjoy with an acute sense of loss lurking in the recesses of my gray matter" essentially describes how I personally interact with EPCOT at this point in time.

indyumd

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I've gone from bummed about the Avatar IP to being excited because I've never really seen the movie (and have little desire to watch it) so when I first visit the land its going to feel surprising and fresh -- even as excited as I am about Star Wars land, I won't be surprised by what exists within the experience. Other than knowing about the big blue aliens, I have no idea what awaits in Pandora. Its refreshing.

RobbinsDad

I've been told many, many times that I'm an old weirdo that romanticizes the EPCOT of my youth and young adulthood and that it is great now. Perhaps I am just missing the awesome new attractions. I have vaguely enjoyed the new airport lounge sans alcoholic beverages that sits atop Imagination in an area where I used to play. Actually, "vaguely enjoy with an acute sense of loss lurking in the recesses of my gray matter" essentially describes how I personally interact with EPCOT at this point in time.
Perfect.

---
Following the SDL model, you can expect they'll catch up to a point and then delay and open 6-12 months later than currently scheduled. The resort is looking less and less impressive (beyond the Jurassic World centerpiece, which has had the budget axe taken to it, and the signature restaurant nearby) all the time. The first park seems to largely be a best of type park with almost no unique local product because the UNI planners believe the Chinese audience wants a western experience with nods to the culture more in terms of food and merchandise. I do not agree, but what do I know? The team also sadly lost a key member of the team last month. ... The UNI braintrust also keeps ignoring Beijing's harsh climate in the design phase, which makes no sense and likely will result in this place being a ghost town during large parts of the year. I don't know how many FB photos I've seen of UNI's people in Beijing wearing masks that look like they were just the victims of a gas attack. Much like Disney in Shanghai, UNI just seems so intent on getting into the market that any/all common sense goes out the window.

I've heard of this Jurassic World attraction for years now. Can you offer any details as to what form this new ride takes? Any details at all? People seem to be very excited about it.

flynnibus

Premium Member
2 years ago, I estimated that Iger had undercapitalized his domestic theme parks to the tune of $2.5B over his first 9 years.

Updating that for the last 2 years, that number stands at $2.8B.

There's the distinct possibility that by the time all this spending is done, that deficit will be completely erased. :)

yeah, but that logic doesn't account for Disney's own insane inflation rate on attractions :)

flynnibus

Premium Member
And, please, can you take pure movie talk elsewhere? Five pages on the state of Johnny Depp's career or how Avatar's box office really stacks up can be had elsewhere. It just clogs things up here terribly.

thank god you said this. I just found the thread tonight and was trying to catch up and was thinking this thread would be 1/4 the size if we just banned Movie analysis. I was ready to propose a vote :)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
--- DVC Expansion in the swamps: First, we all know it is coming to CBR (or the property as it will be a separate resort) because Tom Amity said so ... like two years after I said so here, but who's counting? There are plans right now for DVC from the Contemporary to Coronado to EPCOT-adjacent. They are simply going to continue to turn WDW into The Timeshare Kingdom of the World, something I started calling it over a decade ago.

At age 26, DVC is showing no signs of slowing down. Just a decade ago, the only DVC presence near the MK was the beautifully integrated WLV. Bob Iger and his minions have added the cancer, what it truly is, to every MK resort and then returned to the WL and have taken the wilderness away. It is a quick money grab and a way to cover for the fact they simply can't sustain the price points they now command. The problem is Pop Century is a $49-69 a night property and most people pay closer to $150 a night to stay. Deluxe visitors dropped too the mods and mod regulars to the values with many people opting for off-site or no WDW at all. Now ... y'all do realize that Disney would be making money if it charged $99 a night for a standard room at the Poly, right?
Speaking of resorts it could be two more DVCs in the works (one I doubt, one I don't) plus believe it or not two, maybe three non DVC places proposed. And a lot of upheaval at a few others.

Interesting times for the hotels on the horizon.

CaptainAmerica

Speaking of resorts it could be two more DVCs in the works (one I doubt, one I don't) plus believe it or not two, maybe three non DVC places proposed. And a lot of upheaval at a few others.

Interesting times for the hotels on the horizon.
Please tell me one of the new ones is DAK Lodge 2. I know it was part of the long range plan for awhile but I've heard conflicting information on whether Kidani used that space or if it would go elsewhere. Though my CM friends tell me that AKL is one of the ones that's usually available on discount so maybe the demand isn't there.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Please tell me one of the new ones is DAK Lodge 2. I know it was part of the long range plan for awhile but I've heard conflicting information on whether Kidani used that space or if it would go elsewhere. Though my CM friends tell me that AKL is one of the ones that's usually available on discount so maybe the demand isn't there.
Anything around the Wildernesses has gone quiet at my end.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom