1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

A Spirited Valentine ...

Discussion in 'WDW Parks News, Rumors and Current Events' started by WDW1974, Feb 11, 2017.

1. csmat99

csmat99 Well-Known Member

Happy Birthday!

raven24 likes this.
  2. wannabeBelle

wannabeBelle Well-Known Member

Interesting. Marie

Mike S and vj81995 like this.
  3. csmat99

csmat99 Well-Known Member

Personally it amazes me that people want to take the buses. I always get a rental. They are always dirt cheap at MCO and parking is free anywhere I would go since I was a DVC member. So much easier to get around and you can control when you need to get somewhere. Only time I would take Disney transportation is if I parked at BW and took boat to Epcot. I can get my rumors from here instead of bus driver. :rolleyes:

ford91exploder and HauntedPirate like this.
  4. rushtest4echo

rushtest4echo Well-Known Member

5. rushtest4echo

You should have told him that hopping between parks doesn't require buses unless he's doing Animal Kingdom. :)

But I get your/his point: buses are a pain in the butt because of how they're operated. There's never an excuse for why it should take more than 30 minutes from your hotel room to the front gate of the park via any mode of transit for any theme park on earth if you're "on property". Only at WDW is that a crazy notion. I get that WDW is decentralized and massive, but it's clear that their ability to cope with demand on the buses and monorails is severely hindered by some cubicle dweller and/or scheduler.

For those who say "it's a complex system with hundreds of routes and tens of thousands of riders" I say: it was their choice to make the resort in this fashion and their reputation suffers because they can't accomplish transit in a timely manner. There's never an excuse for a bus for each resort not running every 10 minutes during busy periods and every 20 minutes during light periods. Even if there are 5 riders- city buses operate like this and there's no reason Disney shouldn't too. It's not about managing demand, it's about the convenience you should expect when WDW offers such a system. Now we're seeing gondolas to help alleviate the problem in some cases... hah.

Anyone remember the "15 minute guarantee" with Fastpass way back when it opened? If you returned at the proper time and you waited more than 15 minutes from the start of the queue to the preshow/ride, you could say so and be offered another fastpass for your trouble. Maybe they should start that up on buses. Give drivers fastpasses and give them the discretion to hand them out in order to solve issues with crowding/delays on the buses. It shouldn't be necessary but it's in line with the "oh you have a concern/comment here's a fastpass have a magical day" way of doing things. :)

6. Disneyhead'71

Disneyhead'71 Well-Known Member

After they finish this around the park
    [​IMG]

And a lot more greenery to come through out the park, the only time you will be aware of the outside world is when when you are one the towers. I'm going to wait until about a year after the park opens and a lot of the foliage has had time to grow in before I would even begin to declare fail.

And everyone on I-4 sees this

[​IMG]

I'm less concerned about it being a billboard and more concerned about pile ups when they blow that thing off at night.

7. rushtest4echo

I'm sure after a few years when foliage has grown up the views will be fine. Noise is another thing but very minor in the grand scheme of things- still crappy/un"immersive" though.

8. AJH219

AJH219 Well-Known Member

I returned from my first Disney cruise aboard the Wonder yesterday and HOLY COW its as amazing as everyone has ever said. I literally cannot think of any other way to describe using anything other than magical :hilarious: Hands down and by far the best Disney vacation I've ever taken. I will write a more detailed review after the hectic finals week has ended, but I just wanted to throw out there that I'm addicted to DCL.

9. raven24

raven24 Well-Known Member

Thank you very much!

10. Sir_Cliff

Sir_Cliff Well-Known Member

11. JoeCamel

JoeCamel Well-Known Member

Now we know what they did with the EPCoT Segway tour. Didn't think they would throw away those $5K machines

Mike S, Sonconato and vj81995 like this.
  12. Kman101

Kman101 Premium Member

Shh, no one's supposed to question Universal. They do everything right and everything is amazing ... (and for the record, I was just there Saturday and had a fantastic day with low crowds and little wait)

13. seascape

seascape Well-Known Member

What Universal does much better than Disney is make movies offshore in non union countries that offer big tax breaks then charge as much as Disney for tickets, DVDs and pay per view. That is why Universal produces animated movies for half the cost as Disney does.

artvandelay, Tahu and Rodan75 like this.
  14. TMH

TMH Well-Known Member

Was someone complaining about a theme park being too close to a freeway?

[​IMG]

The most important part of driving to Disneyland is seeing the Matterhorn from the 5.

15. asianway

asianway Well-Known Member

And unless you're in Tomorrowland when a fire engine goes down Harbor you'd never know

16. BubbaQuest

BubbaQuest Well-Known Member

Me too!! Merging onto I-4 is already bad enough with all the lost tourists. I fear the chaos with a volcano erupting at the same time! I'm envisioning a freeway shoulder packed with cars so people can take selfies.

17. TeriofTerror

TeriofTerror Well-Known Member

10 points if you hit a tourist taking a selfie here.
    15 points if they're using a selfie stick.

18. WDW1974

WDW1974 Well-Known Member Original Poster

Spirited Quickees (because they are the best kind!):

For all of the excitement over the 'Star Wars Cruiser'/AbD/Comic Con type boutique hotel experience, I would caution patience. As a kind Spirit wrote me today, "this isn't something that will happen in near term."

Said source also says that while designed for WDW, this is something that will be considered for Anaheim too. (And who said Bob Iger and TWDC isn't looking to make SW seem more important than the rest of DL? ... Oh yeah. Nobody.)

Despite Bob's fixation with SW and China, don't expect any SW product of substance to find its way to those parks soon. While people over there seem to love Marvel, his other big buy, they are not rabid fans of Rey, BB-8 and Princesses with hair buns. Indeed, I've had multiple people tell me that the temporary SW Launch Bay in SDL is one of the least popular attractions (not that it is one) in the park.

Will get back to China in a bit, but just want to make sure I was very clear that the Club 33s coming to WDW will simply be small upscale private bars at first. No gourmet restaurants. ... And before Tom Amity decides to break news that was broken here a long time ago, let me again spell out that a new Haunted Mansion eating venue/experience is coming to the MK, despite the mixed reviews of the Skipper Canteen.

Word from Ops people is that most of Pandora could open tomorrow and could have been open weeks ago now. No word on when (if?) unannounced soft openings will be starting. Also heard is that WDW leadership has no real idea on what to expect when it does open on everything from park visitation to how it will effect the rest of WDW's gates. There is a fear that DHS could be a ghost town this summer if the buzz on Pandora is great.

Heard from a friend that Frozen at HKDL is a done deal, even if TWDC winds up paying for it entirely. Heard from another that the Maelstrom/EPCOT clone will be shelved for a new unique attraction with another small scale attraction that will be a sleigh-themed clone of the Mater ride from DCA (that also will be a TSL ride in FL and a BH6 ride in Tokyo). I don't have confirmation of the unique attraction (meaning not the LPS ride headed for Anaheim and Tokyo post 2020), but it certainly sounds more plausible than repeating the EPCOT mistake (it is a crappy attraction, even forgetting its location, sorry).

D23's annual CrazyFest/Expo is approaching and people want to know if there will be P&R announcements. The answer is yes. But if this is anything like the last one, expect them to go back and forth on what will be announced right up until showtime.

I generally only give shoutouts to Disney Blogger/Lifestyler to the Stars Tom Bricker (@WDWFigment if he is around here), but was unable to sleep a few nights ago and instead of looking at the home made 'materials' sent to me by adoring fans, I instead read a non-outlet store column by that dude Derek Burgan on what apparently were the six least popular restaurants at WDW based on a sample-size of 122,000 (we all know why @Len Testa is loaded, right?) from TP: http://blog.touringplans.com/2017/04/22/s6_wdwlowestrated/

They were: 6.) Garden Grove at the Swan; 5.) Portobello at DS; 4.) Bongo's at DS; 3.) Picabu at the Dolphin; 2.) Planet Hollywood at DS; and 1.) STK at DS.

What I found interesting was that all of the above were non-Disney owned and operated locations/third parties. They were all places that didn't cater (with possible exception of the last one) to the O-Town blogger crowd or the Mommy Bloggers or even Disney fans per se. And except for STK, which is likely simply just a bad concept for WDW, they are old and tired (these results were before PH's recent redo). Considering I'm a fan of 3-6, I'll simply say that it's amazing what WDW addicts will tell themselves to enjoy a meal at a place like Chef Mickey's, The Wave, Le Cellier (more for value and what you have to go through than food quality), Be Our Guest, Cosmic Ray's, Electric Umbrella, any QSR at DHS etc. Don't want to give Derek too much extra pub here, but it's amazing how people will turn their noses up at say Portobello (a favorite of mine for the last dozen years) yet eat at Tony's Town Square ... or say that Garden Grove's atmosphere lacks atmosphere, yet have a character meal at Chef Mickey's etc.

Finally, just a word that I'll be taking a leave shortly. I do have visits to DLP, SDL, TDR and DLR in the pipeline and am not sure whether to drop in one by one with some thoughts or wait and do a long deal. Leaning toward the dropping in after each visit ...

19. WDW1974

WDW1974 Well-Known Member Original Poster

One other quickee:

No, Fire Mountain isn't happening now with a Moana storyline anymore than in the 90s. Back then, it was killed very quickly because Disney didn't want another 'extreme' type attraction after having issues with the sensory theater thriller -- Alien Encounter.

Noting has changed. The FM plans featured a ride system that would have fit in well at IOA or BGT. That was never going to fly then. It isn't going to now. I know the plans have been dusted off, but the MK rule is every attraction needs to be fine for a sensitive seven-year-old (or 77-year-old, like me!) While I am quite sure that an amazing FM concept could work with this film, it just won't happen at a castle park in the swamps.

20. DarthFiscus75

DarthFiscus75 Well-Known Member

Awesome readings while I wait for another episode of Better Call Saul