A Spirited Perfect Ten

Tony Perkis

Sorry to say but it's not every movie and it's most definitly not within a month of it's release. Now if we are talking a bootleg with crappy quality that is from someone's camcorder I would agree. Films that come out between the span of november and december which are gearing up for award seasons with dvd screeners? That's a different story.
Gone Girl showed up on the torrents 2 months before its Blu-Ray release. Boyhood showed up a month beforehand. American Sniper, The Imitation Game, Into the Woods, Birdman are all available for download in DVD quality.

Horrible Bosses 2 actually showed up in DVD quality.

H2O_Mouse-Ears

In other news, Spirit... I watched Agent Carter and thought it was actually very good. @Lee will hopefully share his opinions because I can't imagine he didn't watch. Full disclosure I am a Marvel fan but the show was well done and two episodes in and it's decidedly better than Shield, which I like, especially this season.
Agreed. The character dynamics between Agent Carter and Jarvis have a lot of potential.

Travel Junkie

It shouldn't but it boggles my mind they want to wait. They just hope they don't have to spend the money. I find it kind of sad Disneyland might get Star Wars land before Hollywood Studios does. No offense to Disneyland but it just makes perfect sense for Hollywood Studios.

My pure non-insider status guess is the delay is directly related to TDO trying to control expenditures and have major projects drawn out over a long period of time. If you have the new AK open in 2017 and Star Wars land open in say 2018, most people will either wait for Star Wars to be done or they simply don’t get to WDW in 2017 and experience both new things at once. WDW would rather spread them out and have Avatar open in 2017 and then hold off Star Wars until 2020 or after. This way you hopefully come twice.

In California, while DCA has been taking up all the investment dollars, Disneyland Park has not had a major addition this century. They are okay with getting Star Wars started ASAP.

I’m sure there is some truth in Disney saying they want to wait for the new trilogy to hit the big screen before they begin, but I think the bigger reason is to spread out their large scale investments in order to maximize profit long term.

Sped2424

Gone Girl showed up on the torrents 2 months before its Blu-Ray release. Boyhood showed up a month beforehand. American Sniper, The Imitation Game, Into the Woods, Birdman are all available for download in DVD quality.

Horrible Bosses 2 actually showed up in DVD quality.
Horrible bosses was apart of the sony leak as was annie. And as I said Screener season is to blame for into the woods, imitation game, big hero 6, and american sniper. For example if the avengers comes out in may it's not going to be found on dvd quality for quite some time maybe well into the summer. Unlike screener season where most of these things leak while the films are still having their run. As a broke college student trust me when I say I watch these sorta things VERY closely to see what is online and what isn't.. And november-december is my favorite month for films for a reason. Guardians came out in august and we didn't get a dvd leak of that till late november early december right around when it was due for a dvd release.

StageFrenzy

The 'bar that must be sought to find' is there on the Fantasy even with the kiddie water area... It's just a small one on the port side that basically exists only along the walkway to the sports area.

I'm sure being sent to work that bar must feel like being sent to Siberia :)
There are multiple bars that must be sought to find like outlook and to a certain extent Meridian which was my favorite bar. Outlook also has the "benefit" of being able to hear everything that goes on in Edge.

flynnibus

Premium Member
There are multiple bars that must be sought to find like outlook and to a certain extent Meridian which was my favorite bar. Outlook also has the "benefit" of being able to hear everything that goes on in Edge.
... and being closed more often than not due to it being their main digs they rent out. I've yet to make it to Outlook on any of my cruises because of the limited hours. All the smokers know about Meridian :)

I'm still biased to the sports bar.. for the TVs and bar tenders or if I wanted to just be in a bar I'd goto Skyline.

bhg469

I'm saying that Disney is that indecisive when it comes to CapEx. I'm saying that the last I heard SW wise (and not the drunken guest relations girl from the studios playing trivia last Monday who was shooting her mouth off about this) was that they were going to wait to see how the movie was received before starting in Orlando.

Of course, The track record that Star Wars has had at the box office throughout history says it's going to be a success. So I'm not sure why they are dragging their feet…
That's the billion dollar question..

PhotoDave219

I have always found it odd that they are choosing to put Star Wars Land where Mickey's Toon Town currently exists. Don't they have to close this section early on nights that they have fireworks?

Toontown is now Storybook Circus. Part of the new Fantasyland expansion.

culturenthrills

Hi Spirit,

Any clarification or comment on SDL's opening/progress... There have been some mixed signals from the Company in the past few months with Iger saying in a live Oct/Nov 2014 CNBC interview "SDL will open a couple of years from now", e.g. 3rd Quarter 2016. But, the recent Iger Fortune cover story seems to be sticking to the original "Late 2015" opening. My guess from looking at the progress pics is late 2015 is too optimistic.

There's been rumors on sites like MiceChat of "massive delays", with MC citing Chinese red-tape (I thought one reason the Chinese build so quickly was the minimizing of red tape).

Am hoping for a lot more official info soon since the late 2015 date has been circulated for several years now.

Cheers,

More like Chinese contractors going behind Disney's back and ordering cheaper parts than what Disney specifically asked for. Stuffed has had to be ripped out and re done. A building for one of the rides was built with wrong dimensions and had to be fixed. They are wayyyyyyyyyyyyy behind.

Mike730

Sorry to say but it's not every movie and it's most definitely not within a month of it's release. Now if we are talking a bootleg with crappy quality that is from someone's camcorder I would agree. Films that come out between the span of november and december which are gearing up for award seasons with dvd screeners? That's a different story.
Either you're using some sort of censored Chinese internet, or you've never really looked very hard.

the.dreamfinder

More like Chinese contractors going behind Disney's back and ordering cheaper parts than what Disney specifically asked for. Stuffed has had to be ripped out and re done. A building for one of the rides was built with wrong dimensions and had to be fixed. They are wayyyyyyyyyyyyy behind.
Maybe Disney should have asked for the land SDL resides in, aka the Shanghai International Tourism District, to be held to American/European construction standards by the Central Governent with harsh punishments for contractors.

lazyboy97o

Maybe Disney should have asked for the land SDL resides in, aka the Shanghai International Tourism District, to be held to American/European construction standards by the Central Governent with harsh punishments for contractors.
Those sort of promises are already made. Part of why work from Walt Disney Imagineering costs so much is because their specifications are incredibly specific. There is a good chance the contractors on the job don't have much experience with specifications, much less Disney detailed specifications.

RSoxNo1

I'm saying that Disney is that indecisive when it comes to CapEx. I'm saying that the last I heard SW wise (and not the drunken guest relations girl from the studios playing trivia last Monday who was shooting her mouth off about this) was that they were going to wait to see how the movie was received before starting in Orlando.

Of course, The track record that Star Wars has had at the box office throughout history says it's going to be a success. So I'm not sure why they are dragging their feet…
Parks and Resorts has become 100% risk averse because they still view Parks and Resorts as mature. The financials are so delicate that they feel they can't afford the slightest misstep. Despite all that, a $1.6 billion investment in Next Gen has yielded next to nothing. Any one of us on this site could have better spent that money in the parks.

You have executives afraid to take risks, and Imagineers that now live to cater to these executives. This means unimaginative, safe projects. A major Star Wars expansion should have been green lit as soon as the ink was dry on the Lucas contract. Fixing Epcot, Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios should have been green lit as soon as Disney execs saw this pictures:
wwohp.jpg

6a00d8341c630a53ef0133f194861e970b-800wi.jpg

Instead, you get guys like Bruce Vaughn leading the charge. Making statements at D23 like, "bring it on!" He's just as delusional as the executives living quarter to quarter. I know he's the red headed step child around here, but I need to steal a paragraph from Jim Hill's series of Beastly Kingdom articles that are 14+ years old:

You see, Disney CEO Michael Eisner is a very competitive guy. He hates to lose -- at anything. If attendance at WDW started to noticeably slip due to the Mouse losing customers to Universal's new theme park, Michael would have to do something. Eisner's enormous ego just wouldn't be able to handle the idea of Disney being No. 2 in the Orlando market.

So he'd turn to the Imagineers and say: "Make the best attractions you can."

Not "Make the best attraction you can on a limited budget." (i.e.: WDI's recent controversial rehab of Epcot's "Journey into Imagination" ride. During its three months of operation, the revamped version of that Future World attraction racked up more guest complaints than most shows produce in a year.)

Not "Make the best attraction you can with minimal changes to the pre-existing ride building." (i.e.: The Magic Kingdom's "Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin" actually runs its ride vehicles along the very same track and layout the building's previous tenants -- Delta's "Dreamflight" and the unsponsored "Take Flight" -- used.)

Not "Make the best attraction that reflects the sponsor's agenda" (i.e.: Any exhibit you'll find inside either version of "Innoventions.")

Just "Make the best attractions you can." Period.

Look at Epcot, the two new things going to that park are shoehorning Frozen into an existing facility that doesn't fit it, and Soarin' 2.0. As an Imagineer how can you possibly get excited about creating some of this stuff? Disney is putting the least amount of effort behind these additions in what is wholly uninspiring. If they can't get behind their own innovation, why should fans?

When was the last time Imagineering was told to "Make the best attractions you can"?

Last edited:

aladdin2007

Few quickees and then I'll be back when I can ...

Merchandise on the Fantasy was a bit weak. Lots of pricey watches and jewelry and perfume ... things I have never bought on a cruise ship. But almost no Fantasy merchandise, just DCL logo stuff. I think the pin I bought was the only actual Fantasy item. I find that odd because the Magic had loads of stuff last fall and the Wonder had at least a few items (like the magnet on my new fridge!)

I know I teased this on my last thread, but Iger and Co were privately very disappointed in Big Hero 6's domestic take (at least as of a few weeks ago). No, they didn't think it would pull in Frozen numbers. But a very well-placed source on the left coast says that they really thought it would do ''closer to double'' than what it did (oh, and no, I didn't see it ... planned to on the cruise and didn't find time!)

Oh, and said source says work is ''well underway'' on Frozen 2: Olaf Melts ... (that is true ... the first part, not the title!) despite what Burbank and Iger will claim.

Speaking of Olaf: first Frozen merchandise I own? A $1.99 Oaf note pad that my dearest Angie bought me while picking up food items at a local Publix. Better than ANY Frozen merchandise I have seen at the parks.

Y'all have MAGICal weeks!!!

spirit, speaking of frozen merch, I found it interesting that in the Norway pavilion again today since they have the first two to three rooms filled with it, not one person was looking at or buying anything frozen. Everyone was more interested in the trolls, and fragrance and clothing in the back. In fact those first rooms were void of people, but busy as can be in the other parts. I think the saturation point has clearly been reached, maybe that will change when the ride opens but right now no one seemed to care, (which made me happy :)) none of it was moving and it was way over stocked.

PhotoDave219

Parks and Resorts has become 100% risk averse because they still view Parks and Resorts as mature. The financials are so delicate that they feel they can't afford the slightest misstep. Despite all that, a $1.6 billion investment in Next Gen has yielded next to nothing. Any one of us on this site could have better spent that money in the parks.

You have executives afraid to take risks, and Imagineers that now live to cater to these executives. This means unimaginative, safe projects. A major Star Wars expansion should have been green lit as soon as the ink was dry on the Lucas contract. Fixing Epcot, Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios should have been green lit as soon as Disney execs saw this pictures:
wwohp.jpg

6a00d8341c630a53ef0133f194861e970b-800wi.jpg

Instead, you get guys like Bruce Vaughn leading the charge. Making statements at D23 like, "bring it on!" He's just as delusional as the executives living quarter to quarter. I know he's the red headed step child around here, but I need to steal a paragraph from Jim Hill's series of Beastly Kingdom articles that are 14+ years old:

You see, Disney CEO Michael Eisner is a very competitive guy. He hates to lose -- at anything. If attendance at WDW started to noticeably slip due to the Mouse losing customers to Universal's new theme park, Michael would have to do something. Eisner's enormous ego just wouldn't be able to handle the idea of Disney being No. 2 in the Orlando market.

So he'd turn to the Imagineers and say: "Make the best attractions you can."

Not "Make the best attraction you can on a limited budget." (i.e.: WDI's recent controversial rehab of Epcot's "Journey into Imagination" ride. During its three months of operation, the revamped version of that Future World attraction racked up more guest complaints than most shows produce in a year.)

Not "Make the best attraction you can with minimal changes to the pre-existing ride building." (i.e.: The Magic Kingdom's "Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin" actually runs its ride vehicles along the very same track and layout the building's previous tenants -- Delta's "Dreamflight" and the unsponsored "Take Flight" -- used.)

Not "Make the best attraction that reflects the sponsor's agenda" (i.e.: Any exhibit you'll find inside either version of "Innoventions.")

Just "Make the best attractions you can." Period.

Look at Epcot, the two new things going to that park are shoehorning Frozen into an existing facility that doesn't fit it, and Soarin' 2.0. As an Imagineer how, can you possibly get excited about creating some of this stuff? Disney is putting the least amount of effort behind these additions in what is wholly uninspiring. If they can't get behind their own innovation, why should fans?

When was the last time Imagineering was told to "Make the best attractions you can"?

Damn, Tim.nicely said.

StageFrenzy

... and being closed more often than not due to it being their main digs they rent out. I've yet to make it to Outlook on any of my cruises because of the limited hours. All the smokers know about Meridian :)

I'm still biased to the sports bar.. for the TVs and bar tenders or if I wanted to just be in a bar I'd goto Skyline.
Doh I forgot about all the smoker foot traffic, I must have been drinking or somthing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom