A Spirited Perfect Ten

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Putting aside the Nintendo talk and speculation for a bit...
(Maybe all the this game/that game tell could use another thread...)

This article that Spirit posted yesterday is quite interesting and worthy of discussion.
http://www.dailyfinance.com/2015/05/08/universal-orlando-reign-of-kong-disney-rival/
This was a good article. I meant to respond, but got sucked into the Nintendo talk.

Kong looks like another solid addition. I agree that Disney is partially living off of the investments by Universal in recent years. That's not a sustainable long term plan. They need to ramp up the DHS plans now.

The last quote from the article:
"The battle for theme park supremacy is heating up."

Man I wish that was true. I really, really do. At this point Disney really needs to show me they are even aware there is a war. I do believe that if the gloves come off and Disney decides to ramp things up they have plenty of ammo.

Mike S

This was a good article. I meant to respond, but got sucked into the Nintendo talk.

Kong looks like another solid addition. I agree that Disney is partially living off of the investments by Universal in recent years. That's not a sustainable long term plan. They need to ramp up the DHS plans now.

The last quote from the article:
"The battle for theme park supremacy is heating up."

Man I wish that was true. I really, really do. At this point Disney really needs to show me they are even aware there is a war. I do believe that if the gloves come off and Disney decides to ramp things up they have plenty of ammo.
Theme Park Wars: The Empire Sits Back

Bairstow

Very cool. I like how it's animated too.

Yeah, the eyes remind me of the Mine Train dwarves.

I guess there's advantages either way, but it would also have been interesting if they had built it to better look as if it would fit with the technology in place when the Mansion was first built. On the other hand, it's probably more important that it work as a proper companion to their current Bride figure.

Cesar R M

Yes. This was my main point. I don't see it as building a land based on the environment of a specific game (like Potter) but more of a Nintendo land with various games represented. Very similar to Fantasyland.

I thought I already explained myself, but let me try again. I played Zelda on Nintendo. Regular Nintendo in the 80s. I played it a lot. I didn't remember that the land was called Hyrule. Nobody caught me in a big lie. There was no conspiracy going on. I'm honestly not sure why that's such a big deal. If you want to laugh at me and mock my opinions because I didn't remember the name of the land in a game I played 20 years ago then have at it. Enjoy yourselves. I'm not a gamer now and my kids have a play station so we can't get any Nintendo games. I'm not even sure why it really matters if someone even played the game. There are people here who never saw a Harry Potter movie or read a book (including the boss). Does that mean they aren't allowed to have an opinion on what goes into the Potter parts of a theme park?

For me the charactersfrom those games are far more memorable than the lands. I'd rather see them focus on several rides based on different games than try to build the land of Hyrule. It sounds like maybe that's the way they are going with this, but maybe not. They could pick one game and build a "Harry Potter style" land based on it.
I actually wonder if they pull a "wreck it ralph" type electrical main theme that connects the game lands.

Goofyernmost

Well there were those imagination pavilion makeover rumors Involving P&F that were persistent and depending upon who you talk to, had some legitimacy to them.

Thank God common sense ruled the day in this instance.
I can't agree with that. Although my exposure to P&F is limited, I first saw it when it became my youngest Grandchild's favorite, I found it to be very funny and very creative and way above most of the heads of the little ones. And that's not to mention how perfectly it might have fit in the Imagination concept. Something done real well, to me, would be a leap ahead of the current Imagination presentation.

If you like sarcasm you have to love P&F. BTW, where's Perry?

ParentsOf4

This article that Spirit posted yesterday is quite interesting and worthy of discussion.
http://www.dailyfinance.com/2015/05/08/universal-orlando-reign-of-kong-disney-rival/
Sadly, "Disney [does not] Need to Be Afraid of King Kong." :(

As the article's author readily acknowledges:

Just a few miles away from Universal Orlando, Disney isn't exactly setting the world on fire the way that Universal has with Harry Potter additions to both of its Universal Orlando theme parks. Disney's attendance is at record levels, but a good chunk of that is the handiwork of Universal's booming popularity drawing more visitors to the area.​

For many Orlando vacationers, Universal now has successfully hijacked 2 days from Disney. It's an awesome accomplishment for Universal. Still, until Universal becomes a 3 or 4-day resort, new Universal attractions mean vacationers will simply skip Universal's less popular attractions rather than steal more business from WDW.

Hey, with a paragraph like this discussing revenue gains, the writer is after my heart:

Universal Orlando's attendance isn't quite at Disney World's level, but it's closing the gap. Universal parent Comcast reported a 34 percent year-over-year surge in revenue for its theme parks in its latest quarter. That compares to a more modest 6 percent uptick for Disney's theme parks. These metrics include the performance of Comcast and Disney theme parks outside of Florida, but third-party reports find Universal Orlando's overall growth climbing a lot faster than Disney World's in recent years.​

However, it's wishful thinking to write "Sooner or later, Disney is going to have to address the 800-ton gorilla in the room."

The unfortunate reality for those of us who want to see real improvements at WDW is that even if Kong draws more vacationers to Orlando, they are still going to spend 2 days at Universal and the rest of their vacations at WDW, giving Disney little reason to rush anything at WDW.

I wish it were not the case but, sadly, I fear it is. :(

Last edited:

gmajew

Premium Member
Sadly, "Disney [does not] Need to Be Afraid of King Kong." :(

As the article's author readily acknowledges:

Just a few miles away from Universal Orlando, Disney isn't exactly setting the world on fire the way that Universal has with Harry Potter additions to both of its Universal Orlando theme parks. Disney's attendance is at record levels, but a good chunk of that is the handiwork of Universal's booming popularity drawing more visitors to the area.​

For many Orlando vacationers, Universal now has successfully hijacked 2 days from Disney. It's an awesome accomplishment for Universal. Still, until Universal becomes a 3 or 4-day resort, new Universal attractions mean vacationers will simply skip Universal's less popular attractions rather than steal more business from WDW.

Hey, with a paragraph like this discussing revenue gains, the writer is after my heart:

Universal Orlando's attendance isn't quite at Disney World's level, but it's closing the gap. Universal parent Comcast reported a 34 percent year-over-year surge in revenue for its theme parks in its latest quarter. That compares to a more modest 6 percent uptick for Disney's theme parks. These metrics include the performance of Comcast and Disney theme parks outside of Florida, but third-party reports find Universal Orlando's overall growth climbing a lot faster than Disney World's in recent years.​

However, it's wishful thinking to write "Sooner or later, Disney is going to have to address the 800-ton gorilla in the room."

The unfortunate reality for those of us who want to see real improvements at WDW is that even if Kong draws more vacationers to Orlando, they are still going to spend 2 days at Universal and the rest of their vacations at WDW, giving Disney very little reason to rush anything at WDW.

I wish it were not the case but, sadly, I fear it is. :(

We all know that even if we do not like the speed it is all moving Disney is moving ahead in things. avatar (not my favorites) is looking like it may be way better then any of us thought. Maelstrom being redone, Star Wars and Pixar land are coming just not as fast as we on these boards want it.

I doubt MK gets any new additions for a min of 5 years because other parks are getting the attention and hey have some major work to continue to fix. Plus they did just get their biggest upgrade even if we don't like it here in park history.

Would love to see tomorrow land be next for this park but no one has given us any hope on this on these sites.

And then Epcot but that could be a pavilion at a time as it is not lands just a ride at a time. Even if they are test track reskins would be nice.

AEfx

Pretty sure a lot of adults still play with Nintendo. Specially those who grew with the Pokemon/Mario Kart/Smash Bros franchise.

Oh, absolutely - I do LOL. But what I was expressing was that folks seem to think that only nostalgic adults with retro tastes are the audience, and that while Nintendo does appeal to those groups, they also are very well known to today's children, as well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom