A Spirited Perfect Ten

ParentsOf4

NextGen was a capital expenditure. Capital expenditures are recognized on the P&L as depreciation over the life of the assets created.

Paging @ParentsOf4 and @MichWolv to testify.
Interestingly, MyMagic+ is not a typical P&R project. Based on my examination of Disney's SEC filings, it appears that most of MyMagic+'s costs are opex and SG&A, with opex costs ongoing. Still, plenty was spent on capex and, as you note, these costs are being depreciated over several years.

I do recall Iger or Rasulo warning at one of the earning calls that MyMagic+ is being depreciated much more quickly than traditional P&R projects (which Disney usually depreciates over 25-40 years) because it is IT intensive.

Perhaps more significantly, Disney reported the following for fiscal year 2014:

Selling, general, administrative and other costs decreased $104 million from $1,960 million to $1,856 million due to the absence of development costs for MyMagic+ [emphasis added], partially offset by higher marketing and sales costs and higher pre-opening costs at Shanghai Disney Resort.​

Opex and depreciation were both up about 7% in 2014, so a decline of over 5% in SG&A is rather remarkable.

The difference between +7% and -5% is about $240M. I doubt MyMagic+ development costs actually declined by $240M but considering that P&R's operating income was up $443M for the year, the "absence of development costs for MyMagic+" might represent a significant portion of P&R profit gain in 2014.

tirian

Well....umm...yes. Yes, you do.;)

My point was that many adults didn't read the books until their 30s or 40s. They weren't trying to be "cool" by reading them, they heard the books were good so they read them.

Kids were...expected...to have read them at an early age.

I read Sorcerer's Stone in 2004. I was 36ish.
I was a kid when the books came out.

I hated the first one. I had already read Narnia and the Hobbit, and Potter felt like a knockoff.

My opinion improved as the later books were released, and I'm a big fan now. Universal has made a couple hundred dollars off me in merch sales.

bhg469

I was a kid when the books came out.

I hated the first one. I had already read Narnia and the Hobbit, and Potter felt like a knockoff.

My opinion improved as the later books were released, and I'm a big fan now. Universal has made a couple hundred dollars off me in merch sales.
I never read the books nor have I seen all the movies. I still appreciate the 2 very amazingly themed areas that universal built. It's all damn near perfect and I wish I could have spent more time there when u was in town last month. It was amazing experience that I haven't felt in disney since my first visit to DAK.

RSoxNo1

One quick question, since every time I bring this subject out I'm told that everyone here was a big Marvel fan a decade ago, how much Marvel talk existed on this forum prior to 12/09? Any at all? Oh, of course, the Disney fanbois likely bashing the 'overrated' Spidey attraction at IOA and ripping all of the exposed coaster track on the Incredible Hulk. Beyond that? Yeah ... crickets again. Because most of you weren't Marvel fans until it became hip to be (hell, you'll even rip the original Spidey trilogy because it fits the current Disney/Marvel narrative).
I fully admit that my Marvel fandom didn't start until recently. I never got into the comic books, but did enjoy the movies starting with Iron Man (which did pre-date Disney's take over). I still think The Hulk looks ugly, but @Lee will get upset if he reads that, so don't tell him. Anyone that regards Spiderman as an overrated attraction is delusional.

Disneyhead'71

That is exactly what I feel has happened to WDW.

Everything, from the hub to the new AoA to World Showcase is being turned into Fantasyland. Because that is how Disney identifies itself, what designers think Disney is about. A sugarcoated, pink princessy design. WDW now looks like the $0.99 Princess line merchandise you find in cheap supermarkets and discount shops.

Like Cinderella, Norway is now the Disneyfied version of the Disneyfied version of Norway. And in ten years time, when the live action 'Olaf's Beach Adventure' hits the theaters, revealing that Olaf was the villain all along, WS Norway will be the Disneyfied Disneyfied Disneyfied version of Norway. (But fit EPCOT's theme and mission though, because Norway has beaches and Olaf too like goes to a beach in the movie and stuff)
OK, what have you done with the real Empress Lilly? Pretty harsh for a certified pixie duster. ;)

Disneyhead'71

I fully admit that my Marvel fandom didn't start until recently. I never got into the comic books, but did enjoy the movies starting with Iron Man (which did pre-date Disney's take over). I still think The Hulk looks ugly, but @Lee will get upset if he reads that, so don't tell him. Anyone that regards Spiderman as an overrated attraction is delusional.
My interest in Marvel started with MSHI (1999) and the Toby Maguire Spider-man (2002). Picked up with RDJ as Ironman (2008). Liked Avengers and GotG. Now I'm pretty much bored with the whole thing.

But I'm sure that if Age of Ultron doesn't reignite my passion for men in spandex and alleviate my superhero fatigue then this surely will
2015:
July 17: Ant-Man
August 7: Fantastic Four (Fox)

2016:
February 12: Deadpool (Fox)
March 25: Batman V Superman: Dawn Of Justice
May 6: Captain America: Civil War
May 27: X-Men: Apocalypse (Fox)
August 5: Suicide Squad
October 7: Gambit
November 4: Doctor Strange

2017:
March 3: Untitled Wolverine sequel
icon1.png
(Fox)
May 5: Guardians of the Galaxy 2
June 2: Fantastic Four 2 (Fox)
June 23: Wonder Woman
July 28: Marvel Studios co-produced Spider-Man film (Sony, new addition)
November 3: Thor: Ragnarok (new date)
November 17: Justice League, Part 1

2018:
March 23: The Flash
May 4: Avengers: Infinity War, Part 1
July 6: Black Panther (new date)
July 13: Untitled Fox Mystery Marvel film
July 27: Aquaman
November 2: Captain Marvel

Cesar R M

So some lunatic decided to shoot himself at Universal Studios Hollywood, by the Despicable Me ride. I've always thought security was too tame at the theme parks, and I bet by next week both Universal resorts will have metal detectors out front. Wouldn't be surprised if Disney follows suit.

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2015/04/03/firefighters-respond-to-medical-call-at-universal-studios/
how the hell they missed the pistol?
dont they check the bags and stuff in the hollywood parks?

Cesar R M

@WDW1974 this question is random but is DCL looking to expand further in the near term? To me it seems like a no brainer to expand the DCL business. It is still of high quality and they could easily grow their market share, especially considering the issues some of the large cruise lines have had in the last few years.
considering how Royal Caribbean is expanding a lot in Asia, id say DCL will need to purchase a new ship for their ASIA operations.

Cesar R M

My interest in Marvel started with MSHI (1999) and the Toby Maguire Spider-man (2002). Picked up with RDJ as Ironman (2008). Liked Avengers and GotG. Now I'm pretty much bored with the whole thing.

But I'm sure that if Age of Ultron doesn't reignite my passion for men in spandex and alleviate my superhero fatigue then this surely will
2015:

2016:

2017:
icon1.png
(Fox)
July 28: Marvel Studios co-produced Spider-Man film
(Sony, new addition)

2018:
July 6: Black Panther
(new date)
November 2
: Captain Marvel
hold on.. ther is a Gambit movie in progress too?
also, another wolverine?? pffffffffffffff.

ratherbeinwdw

how the hell they missed the pistol?
dont they check the bags and stuff in the hollywood parks?
Just last year someone lost a gun in the safari truck at AK. There was a guy on here talking about the fact he always carries his gun strapped to his body into the parks. He happened to be a sheriff, but this was off duty.
Others have talked about carrying knives in their cargo pants.
No one checks peoples pockets. It's very easy to get a gun in if they want.

PhotoDave219

2015:

2016:

2017:
icon1.png
(Fox)
July 28: Marvel Studios co-produced Spider-Man film
(Sony, new addition)

2018:
July 6: Black Panther
(new date)
November 2
: Captain Marvel

Holy spit. Thats a bit much.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom