A Spirited Perfect Ten

roj2323

With that very post and attitude you completely reinforce everything we are saying about the entitled behavior by college program kids. It also reinforces the insular business culture Created by Disney and rejection of any outside world or knowledge in the business workplace.
Yesa master.........that better? Seriously how do you want CP's to act? They are no different than the rest of the the cast members other than they actually like and care about the job they do. Some of them are better than others but they are there because they want to be. How is that a bad thing?

CaptainAmerica

Yesa master.........that better? Seriously how do you want CP's to act? They are no different than the rest of the the cast members other than they actually like and care about the job they do. Some of them are better than others but they are there because they want to be. How is that a bad thing?
They're there, not because they want to work, but because they want to party and not be in class.

TalkingHead

Way to break show in this very post by the way. Some of the readers here might like to maintain the illusion that CMs are genuine when they offer helpful advice in a friendly way, but it's nice of you to rid them of their delusions.

While I agree with a lot of what you're saying about CPs, you can't seriously think that current and former CMs need to be on stage in a Spirited thread (or in any forum for that matter).

The CP program has led to poorer guest service for years, but let's be real. Anyone reading this thread knows what "have a magical day" really means.

Lee

Adventurer
Yukyukyuk. Disney has to know that microtransactions are hated and despised, yes? And that they're an entirely illegitimate revenue stream driven by impulsive 12-year-olds with smartphones racking up Clash of Clans charges without their parents' knowledge or consent?
I'm fairly sure they see them as a way to monetize experiences and to rake in cash from impulsive 12-year olds with magic bands.

I fear we stand at the edge of an abyss...

dizneycrazy09

They're there, not because they want to work, but because they want to party and not be in class.

I take serious offense to that generalization. I personally know, myself included, dozens of people who took part and pride in the CP that worked their butts off because they loved Disney, wanted to do right by it, and maybe even secure a job higher up in the company one day.

Mike S

Yukyukyuk. Disney has to know that microtransactions are hated and despised, yes? And that they're an entirely illegitimate revenue stream driven by impulsive 12-year-olds with smartphones racking up Clash of Clans charges without their parents' knowledge or consent?
They're even worse when tacked on to a game that already cost you $60 to buy.

CaptainAmerica

I'm fairly sure they see them as a way to monetize experiences and to rake in cash from impulsive 12-year olds with magic bands.

I fear we stand at the edge of an abyss...
I'm hopeful that the "abyss" is more of a pendulum. Go too far in a certain direction and there's going to be pushback. It doesn't necessarily mean that you're hurtling to your death with no way to fight gravity.

I'm all on board with MDX, Fastpass+, data mining, tracking, incentivized behavior modification, etc. But microtransactions would be twenty steps too far. Microtransactions are succesful in their current form because they're usually tacked on to experiences (apps) that are free or extremely affordable in the first place. Getting nickel-and-dimed for add-ons to a free experience is one thing, but there's going to be huge pushback for nickel-and-diming on top of an already hefty price tag.

roj2323

That's an assumption and you know it.

Personally the only reason I got into the program is because I happened to be taking one continuing education course. I was not a college kid in the traditional sense and there were many like me. Heck one person I was on the bus with every day was in her 60's.

That said, what's wrong with kids wanting to party and not be in class?

asianway

I take serious offense to that generalization. I personally know, myself included, dozens of people who took part and pride in the CP that worked their butts off because they loved Disney, wanted to do right by it, and maybe even secure a job higher up in the company one day.
I'm saying this in the nicest way possible...any CP who has been promoted to be a higher up is now part of the problem

CaptainAmerica

When talking about trends among a group of people, obviously there are going to be individual outliers. No, not EVERY SINGLE CP is a bad guest who disrupts the experience for "regular" folks, but that doesn't mean that there aren't general problems attributable to that group.

That said, what's wrong with kids wanting to party and not be in class?
Nothing in and of itself. But it stands in contrast to your assertion that all those kids just want to love Disney and work their buns off.

Anecdote: When I was at Universal many years ago, I was waiting for some chicken strips I ordered at one of the counter service restaurants. It wasn't a normal "meal time" so the place was pretty empty except for me, and two of the workers behind the counter who were apparently dating were talking about the sex acts they wanted to do to one another when their shift ended. At the time, that experience was something that put me firmly in the "pro-Disney" camp of the Orlando fanboy wars, but overhearing things like that has become much more common at Walt Disney World. Even excluding explicit things like that, the guest should NEVER hear words like dorms, backstage, shifts, hours, breaks, etc.

ETA: "Kids" don't go to college. Adults go to college. Adults acting like children is exactly the problem with the college program (and large portions of today's society, but that's another conversation).

roj2323

ETA: "Kids" don't go to college. Adults go to college. Adults acting like children is exactly the problem with the college program (and large portions of today's society, but that's another conversation).

Never mind the 50+ million visitors to WDW every year that go to have fun, remember their childhood and digress into a childhood like state where meeting Mickey Mouse in person is the coolest thing to do.

CaptainAmerica

Never mind the 50+ million visitors to WDW every year that go to have fun, remember their childhood and digress into a childhood like state where meeting Mickey Mouse in person is the coolest thing to do.
That is not what I meant and I think you know that. I'm not talking about whimsy, fantasy, excitement, escapism, and joy. I'm talking about irresponsibility, unprofessionalism, laziness, entitlement, arrogance, and self-centeredness.

See also: Any Instagram account ever.

roj2323

Professionally.
When they are at the parks as guests, they are guests. This means they are free to act like fools provided it's within park rules. You may not agree with it but they are not held to a higher standard when they are not on the clock.

CaptainAmerica

When they are at the parks as guests, they are guests. This means they are free to act like fools provided it's within park rules. You may not agree with it but they are not held to a higher standard when they are not on the clock.
Just because a guest can act like a jackass without being thrown out doesn't mean CMs visiting as guests can ALSO act like jackasses. I don't care if there's a formal rule or not. It's called being a decent human being.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom