A Spirited Perfect Ten

bhg469

I see this complaint (Samsung bloat) quite a bit and I'm not sure I understand it. Those apps barely take up any space and are easily disabled so I'm not sure what the problem is. I've gone from iPhone 3GS to Galaxy S3 and now a Note 4 and S Note is the most useful app I've ever had, whether stock or third party.
When you go from an android with a stock interface its much more annoying. With some samsung applications it wants to override the stock android ones like the gallery etc. The bloat isnt really a memory hog, it just gets in the way of what is pretty much a better UI in stock android.

ParentsOf4

TQM is still around. The WDW variation used in the 90's allowed for going the extra mile and putting the customers first.

The TQM programs of today do not allow for going the extra mile or putting the customer first. In current TQM, if you need to go the extra mile, someone failed somewhere in the supply chain. TQM is focused on providing the same product/service every time. This requires that every customer is seen as a homogeneous entity only requiring a homogeneous product/service.

This results in efficiency savings and puts the customer second.
Talk with 10 business management gurus and you'll get 12 different answers of what TQM is. :D

To me, Total Quality Management (TQM) is about using continuous quality improvement to increase customer satisfaction. The idea being that a superior product or service leads to a happier customer and stronger sales. TQM is focused on growing the top line (i.e. revenue).

Lean is about providing the customer with the same level of product or service while reducing the cost of that product or service through the elimination of 'waste', specifically anything that the customer is unwilling to pay extra for. Lean is focused on improving the bottom line (i.e. net income).

Under CEO Michael Eisner, corporate Disney's revenue grew 15.1% annually while net income grew 16.8% annually. Under Eisner, Disney focused on improving profitability through increased sales. Give the 'Guest' more of what they want, and they'll buy more.

Since Iger became CEO, corporate Disney's revenue has grown by only 4.8% annually while net income has grown by 12.8% annually. Under Iger, the focus has been on getting the 'Guest' to pay more while offering less. :(

Today's Disney most assuredly is focused on the bottom line.

It's the antithesis of the once fabled 'Disney Difference'. :arghh:

Tony Perkis

I have a Nexus 6 and love what Google has been doing with Android. Lollipop is as polished as Android has ever been. I like that they keep improving it to the point where OEM's are starting to realize they don't need to add a skin on top of stock android. Motorola already ships with pretty much stock android. This week talk is that Samsung is begnning to do the same as they start to de-couple much of the Samsung specific bloat that gets put on Samsung devices. While "Touchwiz" slowly moves more and more towards stock android.
I legitimately like 5.0 and think it is Google's first serious attempt to curb discrepancies between devices and limit fragmentation (to a degree). That said, LG, HTC, Samsung all include skins and ROMs that noticeably slow down the user experience. That's why when people think of laggy phones, they think of Android. That's why iPhone devices, with inferior internal specs, commonly best more powerful phones in benchmarks.

Developers creating apps for Android cannot properly optimize their apps because there is no standard for what to develop. That's why iOS versions are almost always better.

Stock Android is good. The skins ruin the experience.

CaptainAmerica

Under CEO Michael Eisner, corporate Disney's revenue grew 15.1% annually while net income grew 16.8% annually. Under Eisner, Disney focused on improving profitability through increased sales. Give the 'Guest' more of what they want, and they'll buy more.

Since Iger became CEO, corporate Disney's revenue has grown by only 4.8% annually while net income has grown by 12.8% annually. Under Iger, the focus has been on getting the 'Guest' to pay more while offering less. :(
Making sweeping generalizations about Walt Disney World or even the Parks and Resorts segment based on The Walt Disney Company's financial metrics is misguided at best, dishonest at worst. The biggest chunk of TWDC revenue has nothing to do with "guests" whatsoever, it has to do with ad sales and cable subscribers. I'm not going to go into every single year because I don't have the time or the energy but domestic theme park revenue was up 10%, 10%, and 11% over the last three fiscal years. Compare that to Eisner, who was all over the map: (8)% decline from 2001 to 2002, (1)% decline from 2002 to 2003 and 21% growth from 2003 to 2004 (these reports did not differentiate between domestic and international revenue).

asianway

Making sweeping generalizations about Walt Disney World or even the Parks and Resorts segment based on The Walt Disney Company's financial metrics is misguided at best, dishonest at worst. The biggest chunk of TWDC revenue has nothing to do with "guests" whatsoever, it has to do with ad sales and cable subscribers. I'm not going to go into every single year because I don't have the time or the energy but domestic theme park revenue was up 10%, 10%, and 11% over the last three fiscal years. Compare that to Eisner, who was all over the map: (8)% decline from 2001 to 2002, (1)% decline from 2002 to 2003 and 21% growth from 2003 to 2004 (these reports did not differentiate between domestic and international revenue).
Don't cherry pick stats. The last few years include a post tragedy bounce back for Tokyo, 2 new cruise ships, and a Hawaiian resort.

ParentsOf4

I see that you joined the forum 2 days ago. Welcome to WDWMagic.com. :)

This is what Parks & Resorts (P&R) domestic revenue has done since the opening of WDW in 1971.

P&R Revenue Change.jpg

Under Eisner, domestic revenue grew at a compound annual rate of 9.7% over 21 years. Under Iger, it's grown at a compound annual rate of 5.5% over 9 years.

Please focus on long-term trends rather than comparing one CEO's worst years with another CEO's best years. :)

Cody5294

Disney parks blog is hinting the return of the Hatbox Ghost at Disneyland. I hope a duplicate animatronic will be made for our Haunted Mansion in the next few years

ParentsOf4

Don't cherry pick stats. The last few years include a post tragedy bounce back for Tokyo, 2 new cruise ships, and a Hawaiian resort.
Perhaps no single event had a bigger adverse impact on Disney's domestic P&R revenue than 9/11. Excluding the post-9/11 years when the tourism industry suffered immensely, domestic P&R revenue had a compound annual growth rate of 11.5% under Eisner.

Last edited:

BrianLo

There was a major earthquake in Japan in 2011 that damaged TDR's numbers in a noticeable way.

You'd think, but considering the parks were closed for nearly a month the attendance somehow managed to come out nearly flat at the end of the day. The second half of the year must have been gangbusters.

Now the ground it gained in the interim on top of the 30th anniversary truly knocked 2013 into overdrive.

Nubs70

Talk with 10 business management gurus and you'll get 12 different answers of what TQM is. :D

To me, Total Quality Management (TQM) is about using continuous quality improvement to increase customer satisfaction. The idea being that a superior product or service leads to a happier customer and stronger sales. TQM is focused on growing the top line (i.e. revenue).

Lean is about providing the customer with the same level of product or service while reducing the cost of that product or service through the elimination of 'waste', specifically anything that the customer is unwilling to pay extra for. Lean is focused on improving the bottom line (i.e. net income).

Today's Disney most assuredly is focused on the bottom line.

It's the antithesis of the once fabled 'Disney Difference'. :arghh:
Absolutely agree that consultants will mold and meld different philosophies into a jumbled hybrid that suits their niche.

I see current WDW TQM as the minimum level of quality that keeps guests coming in the parks. The engineered "no negative survey" helps in camoflaging trends that would be pertinant in traditional TQM.

I see Lean supporting current WDW TQM in that anything beyond what keeps people coming to the parks (effort, money, time) is considered waste which is detrimental to the bottom line and is subject to the left hook of Lean.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Absolutely agree that consultants will mold and meld different philosophies into a jumbled hybrid that suits their niche.

I see current WDW TQM as the minimum level of quality that keeps guests coming in the parks. The engineered "no negative survey" helps in camoflaging trends that would be pertinant in traditional TQM.

I see Lean supporting current WDW TQM in that anything beyond what keeps people coming to the parks (effort, money, time) is considered waste which is detrimental to the bottom line and is subject to the left hook of Lean.

The 'no negative' survey is probably the thing that makes me angriest with TDO, You come back from a trip with a few TDO induced CHARLIE-FOXTROTS and you can't even give a negative rating on the issues which were the subject of the CHARLIE-FOXTROTS.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
TQM is still around. The WDW variation used in the 90's allowed for going the extra mile and putting the customers first.

The TQM programs of today do not allow for going the extra mile or putting the customer first. In current TQM, if you need to go the extra mile, someone failed somewhere in the supply chain. TQM is focused on providing the same product/service every time. This requires that every customer is seen as a homogeneous entity only requiring a homogeneous product/service.

This results in efficiency savings and puts the customer second.

and is a complete misapplication of this flavor of TQM, Creating identical reliable parts is ESSENTIAL for efficient manufacturing as a failed part has rework costs and possibly warranty issues.

A people oriented business is MUCH different, Disney USED to understand this.

TalkingHead

So this pertains to the social media conversations that have been a mainstay of Spirit's threads for many years now.

The Harry Potter Celebration is taking place at Universal this weekend. Apparently Universal held a social media "contest" for access to an after-hours "social media event" that's taking place in Diagon Alley. It includes general publicity stuff: meet and greets with the film talent that was brought in for the weekend, free food, etc.

So my question (maybe someone like @71jason knows): was this event included in the vacation packages that Universal was selling for the Potter Celebration, or was this a social-media-only event?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom