A Spirited Perfect Ten

the.dreamfinder

In two more years, we might get a knock-off version of "Inside Out" by Video Brinquedo.
Well, you can get knockoff "Inside Out" plush on Amazon right now.
image.jpg

image.jpg

PhotoDave219

I'm perpetually amazed at what this community is able to accomplish.

@Lee & @WDW1974 have corporate affairs & budgeting down. @marni1971 has Operations and all sorts of other neat things covered, including history. @danlb_2000 has permitting watched. @lentesta has daily crowd levels & forecasting going.... and other things. (I do my fun smartassery, shinebox distribution and occasional analysis of the crowds, which wouldn't be possible without Len's work plus filtering information passed on.) Plus many many others who are well connected, well informed people who drop all of us notes constantly. Plus @71jason who has all of DTD & the nightlife scene covered.

@wdwmagic has essentially set up a decentralized, informal, information network that knows everything Disney is going to do before it ever comes out.

matt9112

I certainly want to have security when we were on high alert on the Fourth and I know the effects that the Boston Marathon bombing had on people. I am from Boston originally and my relatives are still there.

Yes I live in watertown ....I know what it's like to see "highly trainer professional" shoot up a street with over 300 bullets and still come up empty handed hahaha. But that's an aside. I don't like to feel like I'm in prison.

MarkTwain

Also, amusing that the 'chatter' has apparently begun regarding DCL and Cuba after Carnival announced today that it would start offering cruises to the island.

Should be very interesting to see. DCL's traditionally played it safe with their ports, avoiding more adventurous itineraries. I'm not sure I see Disney jumping through all the hoops of ensuring that their cruises are 100% "educational or humanitarian" either. But that might be a market too profitable not to tap into.

Cesar R M

http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/07/china/china-movie-disney-cars/index.html
A friend just sent me this lovely article.... Chinese knock-off of Cars... what next?
cant be worse than the brazilian studio well known for ripping out every dreamworks, pixar and disney films?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vídeo_Brinquedo (they already ripped off Cars, Ratatouie, Bee Movie, Kung fu Panda and others..)

Brazil beat 'em to the punch years ago.

In two more years, we might get a knock-off version of "Inside Out" by Video Brinquedo.

hah! funny how fast you guys answered that one!

Cesar R M

"James Cameron, who directed, wrote and produced the original science fiction epic, promises Avatar Land will let visitors "live, eat, breathe and smell Pandora.""

So James wants to poison us?
isnt that what the Mouse does in Main Street? :hilarious:

It's not often someone says the one thing the USA could do with is more lawsuits!

I'm not, I'm just surprised that they do not sue someone who is clearly dumping, yet they sue someone else who isnt.

ParentsOf4

Saw the following on Forbes regarding Shanghai Disney and how MAGICal it will be for the bottom line. I really just gave it a quick read ... @ParentsOf4 feel free to translate/extrapolate:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/greatspeculations/2015/07/07/disneys-shanghai-project-will-drive-international-resort-and-theme-park-operations-in-coming-years/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
What makes you think I didn't write this? :D

It's a straightforward Wall Street analysis. Of course, I'm going to comment only on the parts I want to poke fun at. (Even though it really doesn't deserve it.) :D

First tidbit:

Looking at the international theme parks, revenues have grown at an average annual rate of 5% in the past few years.

Hey, Disney's international Parks & Resorts revenue has an annual growth rate of 4.1% since 2010, 3.5% since 2011, 3.6% since 2012, and 2.9% since 2013, but we know that Wall Street isn't worried about getting numbers right. It's not like they're in the numbers business. :rolleyes:

I guess if you go back far enough, there's a 5% in there somewhere. Not sure if that qualifies as "in the past few years" though. Or you could just cherry pick the ticket, food, and merchandise numbers and ignore the hotels to make the number look bigger than it really is. :cool:

Second tidbit:

However, we expect strong growth on this front as the company opens its Shanghai resort in 2016.

Me too, although with an over $5 billion combined investment in a segment that did $2.8 billion in sales last year, you'd kinda expect better than 5% growth, wouldn't you? ;)

Third tidbit

We estimate revenues of around $52.65 billion for Disney in 2015

With Disney's fiscal year three-quarters of the way over, you really went out on a limb on this one, didn't ya. :rolleyes:

Fourth tidbit:

We currently have a $105 price estimate for Disney’s shares, which is more than 5% below the current market price of $114.

Um, so I'm not the only one who thinks DIS is grossly overpriced?

Good thing they have a theme park in desperate need of a few billion. It's a much better place to park this year's $9 billion in net income, rather than even more stock buybacks. :happy:

More than any other factor, the stock price should tell everyone why the BoD was ready to approve the DHS project this year.

Fifth tidbit:

Looking at the guest spend [at Disney's international Parks & Resorts hotels], it has been on an uptrend and grew from $272 to $322 during the same period [2010 to 2014].​

And:

Going forward, we expect the occupancy rates to improve marginally from the current levels and average guest spend to grow to around $400 levels by the end of our forecast period.

So, over 4 years, international Per Room Guest Spending (PRGS) increased by 18.4%, an annual growth rate of 4.3%. Considering the rack rate, that's a solid growth rate, something to be rather pleased with if not for the fact that international hotel occupancy declined, largely negating gains from higher PRGS.

$322/night to $400/night. Wow, that's 24% growth! That sounds really great until I look at your graphic and see that's a number you're projecting for 2021! Seriously, you're projecting PRGS 6 years into the future? I wonder if even Disney does that.

And, um, that's growth from 2014 to 2021, an annual growth rate of 3.1%. Wow, when you look at it that way, it doesn't sound so great, does it? In fact, it sounds pretty ordinary, especially with the weak international hotel occupancy rate.

Sixth tidbit:

The international theme parks revenues have grown at an average annual rate of 5% from $1.80 billion in 2010 to $2.15 billion in 2014. We expect strong growth in this segment and estimate the theme parks revenues to be north of $3.30 billion by the end of our five- to seven-year forecast period.​

No snide remarks from me on this one. This one has me genuinely baffled. Disney is opening an entirely new resort and, by 2021, you're projecting international theme park revenue to be up by only $1.15 billion? According to your graph, you're expecting only a $340 million theme park revenue bump in the year Shanghai Disneyland opens. Really? Disney's 6 domestic theme parks average over $1 billion per park annually while Disney's international theme parks average roughly half that.

Remind me again, exactly why did Iger bend over backwards to get a resort built in Shanghai?

I could go on, but it's getting late. Need to save my strength for the release of Disney's quarterly results in 4 weeks. :D

Last edited:

Cesar R M

Well, you can get knockoff "Inside Out" plush on Amazon right now.
View attachment 100140
View attachment 100141
to be honest.. sometimes the original stuff is as bad as that.

for example.. how to train your dragon franchise.. the first toothless plushies looked nothing like the movie.
infact, some fans were so disappointed that they made their own miles better than the "official" stuff.

I'm perpetually amazed at what this community is able to accomplish.

@Lee & @WDW1974 have corporate affairs & budgeting down. @marni1971 has Operations and all sorts of other neat things covered, including history. @danlb_2000 has permitting watched. @lentesta has daily crowd levels & forecasting going.... and other things. (I do my fun smartassery, shinebox distribution and occasional analysis of the crowds, which wouldn't be possible without Len's work plus filtering information passed on.) Plus many many others who are well connected, well informed people who drop all of us notes constantly. Plus @71jason who has all of DTD & the nightlife scene covered.

@wdwmagic has essentially set up a decentralized, informal, information network that knows everything Disney is going to do before it ever comes out.
you forgot @ParentsOf4 financial analysis.

Sonconato

Yes I live in watertown ....I know what it's like to see "highly trainer professional" shoot up a street with over 300 bullets and still come up empty handed hahaha. But that's an aside. I don't like to feel like I'm in prison.
I don't mind seeing police or security, I have nothing to hide.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom